I'm impressed with Canon tech support!

Old December 1st 14, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

Default I'm impressed with Canon tech support!

On 11/30/2014 10:27 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

customers like that are the reason why honest people have to pay more.

I'd like to believe that most people are honest. Yhis guy, being a long
time native of Maine, may very well have thought he was right.

most people are honest. however, anyone who tries to return 25 year old
worn out boots is not a member of that group.

Most ME
natives have a streak of stubborness when they think they are right.
e.g. several years a street on Rockport was being widened. The owner of
one house on that street refused to move his mailbox. The widened the
road around his mailbox, and left it that way for over a year.

didn't they emdom the land? they should have knocked it down and ceased
mail delivery because there is no longer a mailbox.

You really have no concept of the native Maine culture.
Besides, look at the USPS regulations. Check and see if it is against
Federal law to intentionally knock down a mailbox without the consent of
the USPS

--
PeterN
Old December 1st 14, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 2014-11-29 23:36:12 +0000, philo said:

Someone here (I forgot who) suggested the Canon G1-X camera to me a
year ago or so. The camera is absolutely great and perfectly suits my
purposes.

I rarely shoot video and that capability is not of major importance to
me...but I did note that since it formats the memory card as Fat32
there is a 4 gig files size limit.

That seems odd.

Quite standard from what I here. A friend had this problem when they recorded a friends gig it stopped recording at 4GB.

http://www.tested.com/tech/photograp...cording-limit/

When Canon got back to me they said the Camera has a limit of 30 minutes
for video. The 4 gig video I took was about 15 minutes long so I will
have to try an experiment and format the card as exFAT and see if I can
get a 30 minute video.

Even though they gave me good answers they did not come right out and
say they would have a licensing issue with exFAT. Since it's a
proprietary Microsoft format, my guess is that's the case.

Here is the 2nd reply they gave:

We appreciate your continued correspondence regarding the exFAT file
handling system.

I'd love to see your idea implemented (imagine a 16 exabyte file size
limit!).

Regrettably, this standard (from what I understand) has not been fully
released, yet.

Old December 1st 14, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/1/2014 9:44 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 06:20:25 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Monday, 1 December 2014 03:27:12 UTC, nospam wrote:

I'd like to believe that most people are honest. Yhis guy, being a long
time native of Maine, may very well have thought he was right.

most people are honest. however, anyone who tries to return 25 year old
worn out boots is not a member of that group.

Does that depend on what warrenty or guarantee on them.
if they had a lifetime guarantee on them I'd be tempted to take them back.

There are no time restrictions to L.L. Bean's return policy. Their
guarantee reads: "Our products are guaranteed to give 100%
satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any
time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from
L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory."

The company actually encourages situations like the one described in
this thread. They get more favorable publicity out of it than the
cost involved.

Anyone who doesn't see that is just a person who doesn't understand
business.

Yup! I told tht story to a friend who then owned a small local clothing
store. He said he would have done the same thing.

--
PeterN
Old December 1st 14, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 2014-12-01 02:29:40 +0000, PeterN said:

On 11/30/2014 5:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but
said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

customers like that are the reason why honest people have to pay more.

Bed Bath & Beyond has a very liberal return policy, and the folks who
work there are usually friendly and helpful.

they won't accept a 25 year old product that's worn out.

Are you saying tht because you tried?

Sears used to, they discontinued that policy. (Notice they are no
longer
a strong retailer.)

sears isn't where it is because of that.

So tell us the cause of the recent business problems Of Sears.

I noticed that Sears sold off OSH to Lowes about 3 years ago. No more
Craftsman tools at OSH, but there is almost as much Chinese stuff as you
would find at Walmart. That said, the in-store customer service at our
local OSH is still very good.
I haven't been in a Sears in years and I have no idea of how they are
dealing with things. The same goes for J.C. Penney. Here in Paso Robles
we have a Kohls and a J.C. Penney on either side of a large shopping
center which includes a Walmart. The Walmart & Kohls are doing fine. The
J.C. Penney looks like it was lifted from Berlin in April 1945, and has
very little, to no customer traffic. The rumor was they were surviving
on their catalog business, but I just don't see how that is possible.

This tells a fair part of the story. One also has to read between the
lines as to why Sears allowed that to happen.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/lowes-completes-orchard-supply-hardware-stores-purchase-cm272790

--
PeterN
Old December 1st 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

anyone who tries to return worn out products is a disgusting slimeball
who is costing honest people money. unfortunately, there are such
people in this world and you're obviously one of them.

but according to you, that's perfectly acceptable. according to you, i
should be able to return my 30 year old cameras and lenses because i'm
no longer satisfied with them and haven't been for quite some time. the
stores should gladly take it back. after all, it's just good business,
and unlike the boots, they're not worn out at all.

i should also be able to return old computers since they no longer run
the latest software, so no satisfaction there either.

because of scumbags like that, there are now restocking fees at many
stores, but unfortunately, honest people have to pay it, even if they
have a legitimate reason to return something.
Old December 1st 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

I'd like to believe that most people are honest. Yhis guy, being a long
time native of Maine, may very well have thought he was right.

most people are honest. however, anyone who tries to return 25 year old
worn out boots is not a member of that group.

Does that depend on what warrenty or guarantee on them.
if they had a lifetime guarantee on them I'd be tempted to take them back.

boots wear out. anyone who tries to return worn out boots 25 years
later is a scumbag that costs honest people money.
Old December 1st 14, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Most ME
natives have a streak of stubborness when they think they are right.
e.g. several years a street on Rockport was being widened. The owner of
one house on that street refused to move his mailbox. The widened the
road around his mailbox, and left it that way for over a year.

didn't they emdom the land? they should have knocked it down and ceased
mail delivery because there is no longer a mailbox.

You really have no concept of the native Maine culture.
Besides, look at the USPS regulations. Check and see if it is against
Federal law to intentionally knock down a mailbox without the consent of
the USPS

if the mailbox was on his property, they would have needed to emdom his
land to build the road around it. if the mailbox was not on his
property, they can contact the post office to have it moved.

you're not telling the entire story.
Old December 1st 14, 07:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 14:12:53 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

L.L. Bean has a guarantee that is unique. It's the company's choice
to offer and honor that guarantee. They've been doing it since 1912.
It's a very successful company with a strong customer following, and
one of the reasons they have a strong customer following is that
guarantee.

the fact that they're the only company that does it is an indication of
how stupid it is.

Your other comments are totally irrelevant - and rather stupid
observations - unless you bought that camera or that computer from a
supplier that offered a similar guarantee. If you did, it would be
perfectly acceptable to ask the company to honor the guarantee.

There is nothing dishonest or wrong about expecting a company to honor
the guarantee that the company provides. In many cases, it's the
guarantee and the integrity of the company in honoring the guarantee
that is why we purchase from that company.

to return used worn out boots because you weren't satisfied is as
dishonest as it gets.

As you have said so often in your slobbering defense of Macs, you get
what you pay for. In the case of L.L. Bean you get an unconditional
guarantee.

that just means every customer pays for the scumbags who return 25 year
old boots.
Old December 1st 14, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/1/2014 2:12 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

Most ME
natives have a streak of stubborness when they think they are right.
e.g. several years a street on Rockport was being widened. The owner of
one house on that street refused to move his mailbox. The widened the
road around his mailbox, and left it that way for over a year.

didn't they emdom the land? they should have knocked it down and ceased
mail delivery because there is no longer a mailbox.

You really have no concept of the native Maine culture.
Besides, look at the USPS regulations. Check and see if it is against
Federal law to intentionally knock down a mailbox without the consent of
the USPS

if the mailbox was on his property, they would have needed to emdom his
land to build the road around it. if the mailbox was not on his
property, they can contact the post office to have it moved.

Wrong.

you're not telling the entire story.

I am very happy that the world does not run according to your rules.

--
PeterN
Old December 2nd 14, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"PeterN" wrote in message
On 11/30/2014 10:15 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/30/2014 08:47 AM, PeterN wrote:

snip

Canon, like other responsible companies, recognizes that it costs
money
to get a new customer. Good service is a mojot component in keeping
customers. And, less expensive to keep existing customers than
getting
new ones.

A refreshing surprise for me.

When I first got my job many years ago I worked for a company with
that
attitude... the customer was first and if the phone rang ...we would
drop what we were doing to go help them.

Through a series of buyouts I ended up working for a company with
just
the opposite philosophy and if a meeting were scheduled, we'd have to
tell our customer to wait.

I generally disregarded orders and took care of the customer
anyway...
but one day, just for the heck of it I decided to follow company
rules
and tell the customer I'd be a few hours late.

The "important" meeting was of course how to better take care of the
customers.

Was I ever glad to retire!

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but
said the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

Bed Bath & Beyond has a very liberal return policy, and the folks who
work there are usually friendly and helpful.

My boss went to Bed Bath & Beyond to buy a new Keurig machine. He was
being helped by an employee there and noted to her that he was getting a
new one because his machine broke. She told him that he can return the
unit to them. He didn't buy it there and had no receipt. They told him
it was no problem and they took it back.

I had a LowePro Sling Bag that broke. They have a lifetime warranty. I
bought the bag from an eBay dealer. LowePro's website indicates that
for warranty claims I should bring the bag to a local dealer for their
inspection but it didn't say what they would do after that. BestBuy is
the only local dealer and they don't carry much in the way of different
LowePro bags. But they did carry the sling bag and they exchanged it
for me without any question.