I'm impressed with Canon tech support!

Old November 30th 14, 05:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

Default I'm impressed with Canon tech support!

On 11/30/2014 11:34 AM, PeterN wrote:
On

The "important" meeting was of course how to better take care of the
customers.

Was I ever glad to retire!

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

Wow that person has more guts than I have!

Bed Bath & Beyond has a very liberal return policy, and the folks who
work there are usually friendly and helpful.

Sears used to, they discontinued that policy. (Notice they are no longer
a strong retailer.)

As to Sears, all I can say is that I still have my 40 year old Craftsman
socket set. I still go there occasionally but the store has very few
customers.
Old November 30th 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

customers like that are the reason why honest people have to pay more.

Bed Bath & Beyond has a very liberal return policy, and the folks who
work there are usually friendly and helpful.

they won't accept a 25 year old product that's worn out.

Sears used to, they discontinued that policy. (Notice they are no longer
a strong retailer.)

sears isn't where it is because of that.
Old November 30th 14, 10:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , philo*
wrote:

As to Sears, all I can say is that I still have my 40 year old Craftsman
socket set. I still go there occasionally but the store has very few
customers.

the sears near me is always very busy.
Old December 1st 14, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 11/30/2014 5:11 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

customers like that are the reason why honest people have to pay more.

I'd like to believe that most people are honest. Yhis guy, being a long
time native of Maine, may very well have thought he was right. Most ME
natives have a streak of stubborness when they think they are right.
e.g. several years a street on Rockport was being widened. The owner of
one house on that street refused to move his mailbox. The widened the
road around his mailbox, and left it that way for over a year.

--
PeterN
Old December 1st 14, 02:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

wrote:

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

customers like that are the reason why honest people have to pay more.

Bed Bath & Beyond has a very liberal return policy, and the folks who
work there are usually friendly and helpful.

they won't accept a 25 year old product that's worn out.

Are you saying tht because you tried?

Sears used to, they discontinued that policy. (Notice they are no longer
a strong retailer.)

sears isn't where it is because of that.

So tell us the cause of the recent business problems Of Sears.

--
PeterN
Old December 1st 14, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

customers like that are the reason why honest people have to pay more.

I'd like to believe that most people are honest. Yhis guy, being a long
time native of Maine, may very well have thought he was right.

most people are honest. however, anyone who tries to return 25 year old
worn out boots is not a member of that group.

Most ME
natives have a streak of stubborness when they think they are right.
e.g. several years a street on Rockport was being widened. The owner of
one house on that street refused to move his mailbox. The widened the
road around his mailbox, and left it that way for over a year.

didn't they emdom the land? they should have knocked it down and ceased
mail delivery because there is no longer a mailbox.
Old December 1st 14, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

I was browsing at L.L. Bean, in ME. I overheard a customer returning a
pair of boots that wore out after 25 years. Tey cheerfully gave him a
new pair of boots in exchange for the old ones. I later asked the
manager if he thought the customer was unreasonable. He agreed, but said
the publicity was worth more than the new boots.

customers like that are the reason why honest people have to pay more.

Bed Bath & Beyond has a very liberal return policy, and the folks who
work there are usually friendly and helpful.

they won't accept a 25 year old product that's worn out.

Are you saying tht because you tried?

Sears used to, they discontinued that policy. (Notice they are no longer
a strong retailer.)

sears isn't where it is because of that.

So tell us the cause of the recent business problems Of Sears.

I noticed that Sears sold off OSH to Lowes about 3 years ago. No more
Craftsman tools at OSH, but there is almost as much Chinese stuff as
you would find at Walmart. That said, the in-store customer service at
our local OSH is still very good.
I haven't been in a Sears in years and I have no idea of how they are
dealing with things. The same goes for J.C. Penney. Here in Paso Robles
we have a Kohls and a J.C. Penney on either side of a large shopping
center which includes a Walmart. The Walmart & Kohls are doing fine.
The J.C. Penney looks like it was lifted from Berlin in April 1945, and
has very little, to no customer traffic. The rumor was they were
surviving on their catalog business, but I just don't see how that is
possible.

Savageduck

Old December 1st 14, 10:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014112916335396851-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Someone here (I forgot who) suggested the Canon G1-X camera to me
a year ago or so. The camera is absolutely great and perfectly
suits my purposes.

I rarely shoot video and that capability is not of major
importance to me...but I did note that since it formats the memory
card as Fat32 there is a 4 gig files size limit.

That seems odd. I have a Canon G11 which I have had as my standby
compact since 2009. I use 8 & 16GB SDHD cards formatted in the
camera and I have no such 4 GB limitation. I have just pulled the 8
GB card from my G11 and it shows the following information: Format:
MS-DOS (FAT32) Capacity: 8.16 GB Available: 5.84 GB Used: 2.32 GB
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1063.jpg

The 4GB limit in FAT32 is per file, not the entire volume. A FAT32 volume
have a maximum capacity of 2TB

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 1st 14, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014112920540095578-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Aah! I get it the FAT(32) 4GB limit comes into play with video
files, not total memory used for CR2, or JPEGs. I am not a big video
sort of guy, so it has never been an issue for me.

Not just video files - and files.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 1st 14, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Savageduck:
Aah! I get it the FAT(32) 4GB limit comes into play with video
files, not total memory used for CR2, or JPEGs. I am not a big
video sort of guy, so it has never been an issue for me.

Is it an MPEG4/QuickTime container? That container, unfortunately,
can not support streaming.

It can, if it includes a hint track. It's unlikely that a camera would
supply the file with a hint track of course.

--
Sandman[.net]