No 12mm rectilinear FF lens?

Old November 24th 14, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default No 12mm rectilinear FF lens?

I was browsing photozone.de and couldn't find any full-frame rectilinear
12mm lens. The widest was 14mm. Why is that the case?

In the APS-C world there is the Sigma 8-16, which has an equivalent FF
focal length of 12mm. A bit strange that for APS-C there are wider
rectilinear lenses than for FF.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 24th 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-11-24 20:57:12 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

I was browsing photozone.de and couldn't find any full-frame rectilinear
12mm lens. The widest was 14mm. Why is that the case?

I own a full frame rectilinear 12mm lens, the first of its kind. The
Voigtlander Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical. It's a rangefinder (Leica
screw mount) lens which won't work on an SLR though. Looks like
Photozone needs to get with the program - I bought it a decade ago!

["https://www.cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm"]

In the APS-C world there is the Sigma 8-16, which has an equivalent FF
focal length of 12mm. A bit strange that for APS-C there are wider
rectilinear lenses than for FF.

Not really because with the APS-C format you can design the rear
element of a lens closer to the image plane, which turns out to be
pretty crucial with super-wide lenses. A full frame SLR's mirror would
probably smash itself into pieces against the Sigma lens you mention.

Old November 24th 14, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

On 2014-11-24 20:57:12 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

The widest was 14mm.

Oh, I forgot to mention: Nikon made a 13mm rectilinear lens. It was
only available special order was much larger than their biggest F
camera, and cost as much as a car.

Old November 25th 14, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 25/11/2014 9:57 a.m., Alfred Molon wrote:
I was browsing photozone.de and couldn't find any full-frame rectilinear
12mm lens. The widest was 14mm. Why is that the case?

In the APS-C world there is the Sigma 8-16, which has an equivalent FF
focal length of 12mm. A bit strange that for APS-C there are wider
rectilinear lenses than for FF.

Not really correct as Sigma have made a rectilinear FX 12-24 lens for a
long time, even updated it a few years ago to a new version.
It's tested on Photozone (on Canon 5D II full-frame camera).
Most lenses (even primes) at this extreme focal length suffer from
either/and field curvature, wavy or considerable barrel distortion,
softness on the edges, CA, as well as flare - exacerbated by the large
bulbous front element on fast (ie F2.8) lenses, and the practical
difficulty on shooting outdoors without the sun in the frame.
As a Dx and FX user, IMO FX has a massive advantage over DX at these
focal lengths. The Nikkor 18-35 G is less expensive than the Nikkor DX
12-24, it weighs about the same, covers approx the same field of view,
but is much, much sharper. Nothing on DX format comes close, and for
more $, the 14-24 Nikkor optical performance steps up another level.
The Sigma 8-16 DX lens is extreme and unique (as is the Sigma FX 12-24).
The widest alternatives are Nikkor/Tamron co-designed 10-24, and Sigma
10-20, with widest "equivalent" focal length of 15mm.
Old November 25th 14, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Alfred Molon wrote:

I was browsing photozone.de and couldn't find any full-frame
rectilinear 12mm lens. The widest was 14mm. Why is that the case?

In the APS-C world there is the Sigma 8-16, which has an equivalent
FF focal length of 12mm. A bit strange that for APS-C there are
wider rectilinear lenses than for FF. -- Alfred Molon

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/ http://myolympus.org/
photo sharing site

Well, you've got the Nikkor 13mm f/5.6

If you find one, prepare to pay $10K for one in good shape.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 25th 14, 02:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitris

On 24/11/2014 11:48 μμ, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
On 2014-11-24 20:57:12 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

[...]

by looking at it, it's no wonder it costs an arm and a leg!!but surely
you can take amazing photos with it, despite all its aberations.is that
the M42 mount, which had my soviet Zenit? On later Zenits they had the
pentax K-2 mount. I had an 28 mm wide, a normal 50 mm and a 120 mm tele
IIRC.They were quite good, altough nothing to do with my Nikkor 50mm1.4,
sigma 24 mm2.5 and tamron 70-210 zoom!!although the tamron was quite crappy.
Old November 25th 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755357-REG/Sigma_204101_12_24mm_F4_5_5_6_EX_DG.html

--
Sandman[.net]
Old November 25th 14, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Me says...
the practical
difficulty on shooting outdoors without the sun in the frame.

What's wrong in having the sun in the frame?

As a Dx and FX user, IMO FX has a massive advantage over DX at these
focal lengths. The Nikkor 18-35 G is less expensive than the Nikkor DX
12-24, it weighs about the same, covers approx the same field of view,
but is much, much sharper. Nothing on DX format comes close,

The Sigma 8-16 DX lens is extreme and unique (as is the Sigma FX 12-

24).

Yes exactly, the Sigma 8-16 beats the Nikkor 18-35.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 26th 14, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 26/11/2014 11:05 a.m., Alfred Molon wrote:
In article , Me says...
the practical
difficulty on shooting outdoors without the sun in the frame.

What's wrong in having the sun in the frame?

Nothing wrong with it, but flare and ghosting can be a problem. Some
lenses perform better than others. The large bulbous exposed front
element on lenses like the Sigma 8-16 or Nikkor 14-24 can be a problem
if the sun isn't in the frame - but hits the front element.

As a Dx and FX user, IMO FX has a massive advantage over DX at these
focal lengths. The Nikkor 18-35 G is less expensive than the Nikkor DX
12-24, it weighs about the same, covers approx the same field of view,
but is much, much sharper. Nothing on DX format comes close,

The Sigma 8-16 DX lens is extreme and unique (as is the Sigma FX 12-

24).

Yes exactly, the Sigma 8-16 beats the Nikkor 18-35.

No -it's just wider - same as the 12-24 on FX. It also can't be fitted
with a protective filter, and every review I've read of it comments on
decentering issues.
Old November 26th 14, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Me says...

No -it's just wider - same as the 12-24 on FX. It also can't be

fitted
with a protective filter, and every review I've read of it comments on
decentering issues.

The Sigma comes with a big lens cap, so there is no need for a
protective filter.

Not sure what you mean with decentering issues.
--
Alfred Molon