Best storage/retrieval system for images & MacBookPro

Old August 12th 14, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
don tuttle

Default Best storage/retrieval system for images & MacBookPro

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage
Thanks.
Don
Old August 12th 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Don Tuttle wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage
Thanks.
Don

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old August 12th 14, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Don Tuttle
wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

a network server works quite well and is exactly what you want.
ideally, get one that supports afp because smb is not all that good.

if you use lightroom, its catalogs need to stay on the macbook but can
point to images on the server (or anywhere).
Old August 12th 14, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...

usb requires a cable and a network server does not.

also, a raid is not needed unless he requires constant availability
which is unlikely.
Old August 12th 14, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...

usb requires a cable and a network server does not.

also, a raid is not needed unless he requires constant availability
which is unlikely.

Jupp, he saves on the cable... The should make the deal a done one! ;-p
Old August 12th 14, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , android
wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...

usb requires a cable and a network server does not.

also, a raid is not needed unless he requires constant availability
which is unlikely.

Jupp, he saves on the cable... The should make the deal a done one! ;-p

it's not about saving money on the cable. it's about convenience and
workflow.

he has a laptop, so why would he want to be tethered to a hard drive,
which he'll have to plug and unplug all the time as he moves about?

a network share will be available no matter where he is in his house or
office, and can even be configured to be accessible from the outside
world if that's desired.

it will also be accessible from another computer should he get one at a
later time (or maybe he already has one).
Old August 12th 14, 04:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-12 14:36:11 +0000, android said:

In article ,
Don Tuttle wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage
Thanks.
Don

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...

Agreed, a RAID would probably be best If not USB3 then consider FW800
or Thunderbolt. I usually got to OWC for my drives and stuff Mac, they
have quite a few options.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/

Savageduck

Old August 12th 14, 04:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage
Thanks.
Don

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...

Agreed, a RAID would probably be best If not USB3 then consider FW800
or Thunderbolt. I usually got to OWC for my drives and stuff Mac, they
have quite a few options.

raid is not needed unless he needs high availability, which he more
than likely does not.

if he doesn't, then a normal network share + good backup strategy is
*much* better and less expensive.

raid is not a backup.

his question is also not mac specific.
Old August 12th 14, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-12 15:32:22 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

[...]

What part of "I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro" isn't Mac specific?

It sounds to me that he is looking to consolidate the 4TB of image
files from the several external HDs he is currently using, and a good
RAID with some redundancy can provide that storage with easy retrieval.
He didn't ask anything about back up, that is a different question.
That said having the RAID as part of a network server is also a viable
possibility.

Savageduck

Old August 12th 14, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

I have 4TB of images and a 1TB MacBookPro. Images are at present on
several external HD. What is best way to store images for ready
retrieval? Anything more efficient/suitable than "network attached
storage" (NAS) like the units sold by Buffalo?
http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage

A external USB RAID should be faster.I would have asked this in
comp.sys.mac.system...

usb requires a cable and a network server does not.

also, a raid is not needed unless he requires constant availability
which is unlikely.

Jupp, he saves on the cable... The should make the deal a done one! ;-p

it's not about saving money on the cable. it's about convenience and
workflow.

;-PPPPP

he has a laptop, so why would he want to be tethered to a hard drive,
which he'll have to plug and unplug all the time as he moves about?

Faster file access. He might wanna work them files, you know...

a network share will be available no matter where he is in his house or
office, and can even be configured to be accessible from the outside
world if that's desired.

True. It might be a steeper learning curve to configure a NAS that way
though...

it will also be accessible from another computer should he get one at a
later time (or maybe he already has one).

He asked about access from his Mac. If he wants to work from a Linux box
or something too: Then you're right, off course!