Seriously Epic Drone Footage from Iceland to Get Your Heart and Wanderlust Racing

Old December 17th 14, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Seriously Epic Drone Footage from Iceland to Get Your Heart and Wanderlust Racing

On 2014-12-17 01:30:10 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
On 12/9/2014 8:02 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
The day is coming when still photography is to video as monochrome is
to colour. See:
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/07/seri...erlust-racing/

or

http://tinyurl.com/lezpmbn

Good images. But, I don't agree with your analogy. It takes more skill
to capture emotion in a monochrome, than in color.
Come to think of it, making a still image that captures the feeling of a
place is more difficult than making a video.

True, but is the goal to make things as difficult as possible?

If it is, I would argue that expressing an emotion in a cave wall painting
was even more difficult. And therefor not even a monochrome photographer
could ever hope to reach the artistic level of a Neaderthal artist.

I suspect it certainly would require a hihg degree of skill to make an
emotional cave man drawing.
BTW IIRC Cro Magnon were alo cave men.

Seriously, with a color image, the color will often carry an image that
would be considered mediocore in monochrome.

Monochrome is principally about form. Form can be enhanced by colour
but many people see only the colour and are completely unswayed by the
form.

Here is an example of where color is a poor option:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1088.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 17th 14, 03:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
[...]

And here is one where color plays a part. The question is, is it
monochrome or not?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC6466.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old December 17th 14, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-17 01:30:10 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:03:30 -0500, PeterN wrote:

Le Snip

Seriously, with a color image, the color will often carry an image that
would be considered mediocore in monochrome.

Monochrome is principally about form. Form can be enhanced by colour
but many people see only the colour and are completely unswayed by the
form.

Here is an example of where color is a poor option:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1088.jpg

And here is one where color plays a part. The question is, is it
monochrome or not?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC6466.jpg

Now that is an eyeful of iron & steel. On close inspection I would
hesitate to call that a monochome. Certainly there is a toning element
to it, and other than the structure there are few clues to the true
nature of the part color has to play other than in that tone.

Savageduck

Old December 17th 14, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:
On 2014-12-17 01:30:10 +0000, Eric Stevens said:
[...]

That's one from my Paintshop Pro days. I created a second layer and
converted it to black and white. I then played around with the
transparency until I got the appearance I wanted with some of the
original colour bleeding through. I forget which layer was on top.

Around about the centre of the image you will see stairs climbing up
to the left. If you look carefully you will see the heads and chests
in full colour of people climbing those stairs. I had wanted them to
be a little more conspicuous but unfortunately the structure is so
large that the people are only a few pixels in size.

Eric Stevens
Old December 17th 14, 05:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 2014-12-16 22:03:30 +0000, PeterN said:

Seriously, with a color image, the color will often carry an image
that would be considered mediocore in monochrome.

That is true in this case:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_1087.jpg

Interesting discussion and images. This latter one, for me, is a toss up
between the mono and multichromes.
Old December 17th 14, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

wrote:
On 2014-12-17 01:30:10 +0000, Eric Stevens
said:
[...]

To my eye the difference in tones is due to natural lighting effects. I
saw noting to indicate it is not monotone.

--
PeterN
Old December 17th 14, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
[...]

And here is one where it only works in color
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC0793.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old December 17th 14, 08:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-17 18:36:41 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

And here is one where it only works in color
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC0793.jpg

You might think that if you hadn't tried it with a BW treatment.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/ES-01.jpg

Savageduck

Old December 18th 14, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:11:20 -0800, Savageduck

On 2014-12-17 18:36:41 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

And here is one where it only works in color
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...3/_DSC0793.jpg

You might think that if you hadn't tried it with a BW treatment.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/ES-01.jpg

I had, and 'nope'. :-)

Eric Stevens
Old December 18th 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

In article , says...

On 2014-12-10, PeterN wrote:
[...]

Just a note, but there is no known Neandarthal cave art. There is some
that is suspected to be Neanderthal but none for which the determination
has even reached the "highly probable" stage.

See
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0GW2SF20140901
or http://tinyurl.com/lb7jp7c

Eric Stevens