The current Photo mess on iOS and OSX

Old December 1st 14, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default The current Photo mess on iOS and OSX

In article 2014112809013729090-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
but that only works one way. I can't have Lightroom on the desktop
auto-upload the latest shots to the same album so that I can see
them on my phone.

That depends on what you call "auto-upload" & how that is
implemented in LR. If I insert a CF or SD card into a reader, or if
I connect a camera via USB cable the LR import dialog is opened and
I am given various options. I can also set my choice of these
options as defaults.

Indeed, but there isn't an option to have it automatically upload to LR
Mobile, right?

Then there is the difference between LR Folders, and
Collections/Smart Collections (which are probably as close to
Aperture albums as LR will get).

They're pretty similar, yeah. And there is a collection named "From Lr
mobile" that I can put photos in in LR (allthough there seems to be a
syncing issue for the moment).

Next comes the question, "Why would I want every single shot from my
DSLR uploaded to my iDevice?"

Why wouldn't I? I like having access to all my photos all the time. With
Photostream it's the last 1,000 photos I've taken, regardless with what
camera.

There is no way I need 1200 shots from a motorsport event, or an
airshow on my iDevices. I don't believe any sane photographer would
want that. ...but I might well want 30-100 from such a shoot
available to me on those iDevices, and those I can move to a synced
collection.

Sure. I don't take 1,000's of photos unless I'm hired for a wedding or
something like that. But if there was a way to control it, fine. Like - a
synced album with the last 1,000 photos I've taken - unless the photos are
in a collection which is a child to "Sessions" - then only sync favorites

As far as images captured with my iPhone goes it is nice to have
them available in LR, but it is not a vital life changing necessity
for me. Just a neat gimmicky feature. I just don't have to use the
Apple method, the Photo Transfer App, or Dropbox to move images
between iDevice and desktop as was my past practice.

I do it both ways. Sometime I take a picture with my iPhone and when I'm at
my computer, I like that I can access it seemlessly, but I think it's way
more important the other way around - that my phone has all the latest
photos taken with my other cameras.

Sandman:
And furthermore, the shots I do upload manually from desktop
Lightroom end up in an album in the Lightroom application only,
not automatically making them available to other applications on
my iPhone.

Strange, if I am viewing an LR Mobile collection on my iPhone, or
iPad, I can select a whole bunch of things to do with that
collection, or an image or group of images from that collection.

From within the LR app, yes. You can't use the twitter app and then attach
a photo from LR mobile in it.

I can share using the iOS share dialog which on my iOS devices includes
options for AirDrop, iCloud Photo Sharing, iMessage, Mail, Evernote,
Flickr, 500px, Flipboard, and for those who have them installed Facebook
& Twitter.

Then if I select "Open In" I have 28 Apps on my iPhone I can make
the images available to. It seems that images in LR Mobile
collections are directly available to all installed apps which could
possibly use them.

LR - Apps, not Apps - LR, if you understand what I mean by that. All your
photo-related things need to be initiated by LR.

So where is the problem there?

I sometimes use apps that creates collages of pictures, and the LR - Share
route wouldn't work there, because that's all about one photo. Like he

http://instagram.com/p/uTAzP0MD6L/

I use an app called "Bubbleframe" to create it. The LR Mobile "Open in..."
function can only pick one photo for unknown reasons (probably a limitation
in iOS), and while the "Share" option can pick more than one, it only list
apps that support the share sheet, which Bubbleframe doesn't, because it
doesn't "share" anything, it edits.

Sandman:
So, the process of

iPhone camera -Camera Roll - Lightroom Mobile -Cloud -Lightroom

can be automatic, but the process of

DSLR camera -Lightroom -Cloud -iPhone Camera Roll -Apps

can not be, as far as I'm aware.

As automatic as I need it to be.

I.e. not automatic at all.

Sandman:
As you probably know, this process is fully automatic in both
directions using iCloud Photostream. And with the upcoming iCloud
Photos, it will be even more seemless.

Then I have no idea why you are even bothering with LR and LR Mobile
since they don't work for you now, and are just an annoyance for
you, while Aperture is still functioning on OSX 10.10 and the
promised iCloud Photos and the iCloud Photostream should deliver all
you want.

Did you not watch the videoI made in the OP? The current photo situation
with Aperture, iOS and OSX is a mess. Lightroom isn't the answer to that
mess, so I'm not sure why we're even talking about it.

Lightroom is *not* an annoyance to me. I like it a lot, and there will
always be functionality found in only one solution and missing in the
other.

If LR could be set up to replicate photostream, that would be awesome.

As I said, I am currently running Aperture and LR from the same photo
repository so I can change if and when I want to. The only reason I haven't
thrown Aperture out the window fully is for these two reasons:

1. It handles photo sharing with my phone a lot better
2. I want to keep my options open for the release of the new Photos app
from Apple

Regarding no. 2 there, I have serious doubts I'll be using Photos.app,
seeing how all we know about it tells a pretty meager story
functionality-wise.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 1st 14, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oregonian Haruspex

Strangely nothing has gotten messy for me. Aperture still works
perfectly for my needs.

Old December 5th 14, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

Strangely nothing has gotten messy for me. Aperture still works
perfectly for my needs.

Great, which just means that you don't use photos on your iOS devices in
the way shown in the video. I bet a lot of people do, however.

--
Sandman[.net]