DVD

Old February 24th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default DVD

Hi,
I have a new computer with a DVD writer. As I have used CDs till now can
you advise:
1. Are there any disavantages to using DVD for archiving JPEGs?
2. Are there any "best buys" for DVD discs?
3. What are DVD-plus and DVD-minus disks?
4. TV - Will DVD players that play JPEGs from CDs also play them from DVs?
5. Any other tips?

Thanks,

Gordon

Old February 24th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:52:29 +0000, Gordon MacPherson wrote:

Hi,
I have a new computer with a DVD writer. As I have used CDs till now can
you advise:
1. Are there any disavantages to using DVD for archiving JPEGs?

I haven't found any, although it does take a lot to fill the disc.

2. Are there any "best buys" for DVD discs?

A few days ago my local Tesco had packets of 5 (some - and some +) for a
pound.

3. What are DVD-plus and DVD-minus disks?

They are different formats - maybe someone will tell us the difference :-)

4. TV - Will DVD players
that
play JPEGs from CDs also play them from DVs? 5. Any other tips?

Depends on your Dvd player.

Thanks,

Gordon

--
Neil
Delete 'l' to reply by email
Old February 24th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Neil Ellwood wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:52:29 +0000, Gordon MacPherson wrote:

Hi,
I have a new computer with a DVD writer. As I have used CDs till
now can you advise:
1. Are there any disavantages to using DVD for archiving JPEGs?

I haven't found any, although it does take a lot to fill the disc.

2. Are there any "best buys" for DVD discs?

A few days ago my local Tesco had packets of 5 (some - and some +)
for a pound.

3. What are DVD-plus and DVD-minus disks?

They are different formats - maybe someone will tell us the
difference :-)

Use the wrong DVD in your drive and you won't get any response. Nothing at
all.

Old February 24th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a new computer with a DVD writer. As I have used CDs till now can
you advise:
1. Are there any disavantages to using DVD for archiving JPEGs?

No, I have so many files, it would take several CDs, so I use DVD. There is
some longevity question between DVDR vs CDR

2. Are there any "best buys" for DVD discs?

Do not skimp. Get quality name brand. At least with CDR, there is known
longevity concerns with cheapo brands.

3. What are DVD-plus and DVD-minus disks?

Different standards we get stuck with. I use + because I have a DVD
recorder. I don't have to go through a long preparation step in order to
record on the disk with +. The manual says - needs this step. On a computer
burner, you don't need to do this anyway.

4. TV - Will DVD players that play JPEGs from CDs also play them from DVs?

It should. You should check your manual.

5. Any other tips?

Make 2 copies and store one offsite.

Thanks,

Gordon

Old February 24th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Gordon MacPherson" writes:

I have a new computer with a DVD writer. As I have used CDs till now can
you advise:
1. Are there any disavantages to using DVD for archiving JPEGs?

Presumably. The bits are much smaller, which means the accuracy of
the writer and reader have to be much higher to write and read
correctly. Also the smaller spots of changed dye may not be as stable
over time, and are certainly more easily damaged by disk surface
injuries.

And don't even *think* about the double-layer DVDs; where they have
deliberately accepted a 60% or some such signal-to-noise loss for the
extra capacity.

2. Are there any "best buys" for DVD discs?

There are *far* fewer actual manufacturers than there are brands.

3. What are DVD-plus and DVD-minus disks?

Two different kinds; you need the one your recorder supports. If it's
new it probably supports both.

4. TV - Will DVD players that play JPEGs from CDs also play them from DVs?

Generally.

5. Any other tips?

Consider the MAM gold archival DVDs.
Old February 24th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

The biggest problem with using removable storage like CD or DVD is that the
medium has to be scanned every time it is inserted to create thumbnails, no
matter what type of program you use. If you have hundreds of images in a
folder on a DVD this is an amazing time wasting pain in the ass. The most
expedient thing is to back up your masterpieces on CD or DVD but keep them
on a hard drive also if you plan on working with them.

Old February 24th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a new computer with a DVD writer. As I have used CDs till now can
you advise:
1. Are there any disavantages to using DVD for archiving JPEGs?

Not that I know of - I've been doing it for a while now.

It may take a while for 4.7 Gig of pictures to build up though - I keep
separate copies on two separate hard drives while they build up - That won't
stop them being lost if the PC is nicked though.

You might be best to keep a +R or -R disc open or use a +RW or -RW version
that can be reformatted and used again and again before doing a final burn
onto a cheaper +R or -R.

Also - never trust your data to one Disc - I always burn two DVD's and keep
them separate.

I also keep as many pictures as I can live on a big drive on my PC for easy
access after they have been burnt to DVD.

2. Are there any "best buys" for DVD discs?

Cheap and chearfull or Expensive and reliable - how valuable are your
pictures ?

You can get good discs on spindles a lot cheaper on the internet than iffy
discs at the supermarket.

Ritek are a good mid-range brand - But Verbatims may be worth a few extra
pence.

If you're in the UK then http://svp.co.uk/index.php offer a great service
including excellent info on all the discs they sell.

3. What are DVD-plus and DVD-minus disks?

Different competing formats - like VHS and Betamax ! - With the advantage
that most modern PC writers will happily write to both.

And then there's dual layer to consider ! - That's double capacity by
storing data on two layers on a single disc.

4. TV - Will DVD players that play JPEGs from CDs also play them from DVs?

Depends on DVD player - I use a YAMADA DVX-6700 which isn't expensive (£ 50)
and has worked reliably for over a year now - It plays everything including
downloaded movies !

It allows you to browse directories on the DVD and then auto plays the
images inside or lets you pick.

Best to keep the directory names short as the browser truncates long folder
and file names and you might have a problem pcikign the correct folder.

5. Any other tips?

You already have a burner - otherwise I would recommend spending a bit extra
on a Plextor model. I've got through a lot of burners, even the likes of
Pioneer only seem to last just over a Year - I'm hoping my new Plextor DVD
writer will be as reliable as my Plextor CD Writer has been.

All the best

Mark.

Thanks,

Gordon

Old February 24th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
Hi,
I have a new computer with a DVD writer. As I have used CDs till now can
you advise:
1. Are there any disavantages to using DVD for archiving JPEGs?

I suspect reliability.

I know it is old technology, but in my experience tape is *far* more
reliable than CDs. I would expect DVD to suffer more problems than CD
due to the higher density. The much higher capacity on tapes is quite
convenient too.

I've lot count of the number of CDs that I have experienced that have
become unusable. Whilst I have owned/copied more CDs than tapes, I do
feel the failure rate on tapes is a *lot* lower.

I tend to move some tapes off-site, even for my home computer. I have
both DLT 7000 (40 GB on one tape) and DDS (20 GB on one tape) at home
[See note 1]

DLT is faster and with higher capacity, but the tapes are quite large,
being almost as big as a CD and some 20 mm thick. DDS tapes are very
compact, and make CDs look very large in comparison.

DDS-4 fits in a shirt pocket and is easy to leave with a family member
when you visit. I bought a DDS-4 (20/40 GB) tape drive on eBay a couple
of weeks back for the US equivalent of about $75. Tapes are only a few
$'s each on eBay.

With photo images like JPEG, little lossless compression is going to be
achievable, so a DDS-4 tape cartridge is *only* going to hold 20 GB.

Nobody claims will last 100 years. 30 years is said to be a typical
life. But in practice, the failure rate seems a lot lower than optical
media, despite how reliable we are told it is. My experience just does
not agree with the the hype on optical media.

The trouble with tape is that new tape drives of a high capacity are
expensive. Once you start going above 100 GB/tape, things are starting
to get expensive. But at 20 GB / tape, they are almost given away. I
don't know the price of a AIT-4 tape drive, which holds 200 GB before
compression, but I suspect it will cost more than your computer, by
quite a long way.

Notes
-------

#1 Most tapes have two capacities quoted. DDS-2 is 4/8 GB, DDS-3 is
12/24 GB, DDS-4 is 20/40 GB and DDS-5 is (I think) 36/72GB. DLT 7000,
which is a tape I use, is 40/80 GB. In each case the former is the raw
capacity and the latter is what is achieved with compression.

#2 All modern tape drives have hardware compression.

2. Are there any "best buys" for DVD discs?
3. What are DVD-plus and DVD-minus disks?
4. TV - Will DVD players that play JPEGs from CDs also play them from DVs?
5. Any other tips?

Thanks,

Gordon

--
Dave K

Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert (MCSE).

Old February 25th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Dave (from the UK) wrote:

The trouble with tape is that new tape drives of a high capacity are
expensive. Once you start going above 100 GB/tape, things are starting
to get expensive. But at 20 GB / tape, they are almost given away. I
don't know the price of a AIT-4 tape drive, which holds 200 GB before
compression, but I suspect it will cost more than your computer, by
quite a long way.

PS, I am not sure what is the state of the art in tape drives now, but
SAIT-1 holds 500 GB on a single tape, with 1.3 GB with compression
(suppisidly). I personally suspect 750 GB is more typical and with JPEG
files, I doubt you would fit much over 500 GB on a tape. But that is all
seriously expensive.

But a used DDS-4 tape drive is in my opinion a good buy.

Old February 25th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"aemd" writes:

The biggest problem with using removable storage like CD or DVD is that the
medium has to be scanned every time it is inserted to create thumbnails, no
matter what type of program you use.

Incorrect. Thumbs Plus will keep the thumbnails in its database, and
does not have to rescan the CD or DVD each time it's inserted. And in
fact you don't have to insert it at all, to see the thumbnails.