UK pic sizes

Old November 4th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default UK pic sizes

Just wondering if 8" x 10" or 11" x 14" are normal pic sizes in UK, ie. can
frames of those sizes be easily purchased off the shelf there?

Thanks,
Dudley

--
"The balance between staying positive and being realistic lies somewhere in
the area of remaining hopeful."

"It is easy to take a photograph, but it is harder to make a masterpiece in
photography than in any other art medium."
-- Ansel Adams

"When you're blind, each day is as sunny as you can imagine."
-- Dudley Hanks

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/index.php

Old November 4th 12, 09:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 04/11/2012 19:28, Dudley Hanks wrote:
Just wondering if 8" x 10" or 11" x 14" are normal pic sizes in UK, ie. can
frames of those sizes be easily purchased off the shelf there?

Almost nothing that isn't metric these days.

Although for a price you can have any size you like. In practice they
are close enough. 10x8 is 250x200 give or take. 11x14 is oddball.

Jessops is mainstream highstreet photo over here and their stock sizes
are a guide. I tried and failed to find you an online UK framer.

http://photo.jessops.com/photo-printing/prints.html

Martin Brown
Old November 4th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex Monro

Dudley Hanks wrote:

Just wondering if 8" x 10" or 11" x 14" are normal pic sizes in UK, ie.
can frames of those sizes be easily purchased off the shelf there?

8x10" & A4 are fairly common in large supermarkets and stationers. Anything
larger is pretty rare, though I did find some 12x18" in Ikea a few years
ago.
--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK
Old November 5th 12, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 04/11/2012 19:28, Dudley Hanks wrote:
Just wondering if 8" x 10" or 11" x 14" are normal pic sizes in UK, ie.
can
frames of those sizes be easily purchased off the shelf there?

Almost nothing that isn't metric these days.

Although for a price you can have any size you like. In practice they are
close enough. 10x8 is 250x200 give or take. 11x14 is oddball.

Jessops is mainstream highstreet photo over here and their stock sizes are
a guide. I tried and failed to find you an online UK framer.

http://photo.jessops.com/photo-printing/prints.html

Martin Brown

Thanks, Martin, I appreciate the info.

My wife and I checked on-line and got varying info. Some sites made it
sound like nothing but metric is available while others listed just about
every size imaginable. But, without knowing much about UK venders, it's
difficult to judge reliability of info provided.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old November 5th 12, 10:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Alex Monro" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:

Just wondering if 8" x 10" or 11" x 14" are normal pic sizes in UK, ie.
can frames of those sizes be easily purchased off the shelf there?

8x10" & A4 are fairly common in large supermarkets and stationers.
Anything
larger is pretty rare, though I did find some 12x18" in Ikea a few years
ago.
--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK
Running on Linux (Kubuntu 10.04)

Thanks, Alex.

One site I visited made it sound like 12" x 14" is more widely available in
UK than 11" x 14". Of course, that'd be a custom size in most Edmonton
shops.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old November 6th 12, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 05/11/2012 22:22, Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

Anything is available for a price.
10x8 aka 200x250mm is pretty common +/- 4mm here or there.

This lot do any size:
http://www.imageframes.co.uk/picture-frames

Larger sizes now tend to be metric like 400x600mm.

Martin Brown