Macro Extension Tube for DSLR Sony Alpha A-100

Old November 2nd 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
infiniteMPG

Default Macro Extension Tube for DSLR Sony Alpha A-100

I am looking for a way to do some good close-up macro photography with
my new Sony Alpha A-100. I have some nice AF lenses from my old
Maxxum but wanted to get into more macro work. I used to have some
macro extension tubes with my old STR-201 but they were the old MD
mount. So now I am looking for some for my A-100.

I found some on Ebay listed as :

Extension Tube Set Marco Ring for Minolta Camera A76 - Item number:
190168870799
These sell for under $10 and there are several available from the same
seller.

They list these as fitting "all" Minolta cameras but anyone who came
from the old 35mm world knows the old MD mount lenses won't fit on the
new Maxxum/Alpha mount cameras. I wrote the seller but have never
received a response back if these would fit the A-100. I was
wondering if anyone knew if these would fit?

Or does anyone had some good inexpensive suggestions on how to get
into some really close-up macro photography? Don't care for the lens
inverters (that mount a lens backwards) or the macro filters (don't
want to degrade the image that much and I know they do). All
suggestions gladly welcomed.

Thanks!

Old November 6th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

infiniteMPG wrote:
[...]

For $10 I wouldn't expect much :-) certainly not AF but for macro AF
doesn't matter much. The only issue I'm aware of is strength... the
wobble-factor... if your lenses are on the heavy end, you may benefit
from a stronger more stable extension tube otherwise it doesn't really
matter: a tube is a tube and I can't think of anything else that could
interfere with your experience. Ideally the tube would transmit the lens
identity & f/stop to the camera for exif data but the metering and
converted f/stop will still be wrong. I'm not aware of an extension tube
with it's own chip to explain all that to the camera.