OT - Looks what is waiting in the back of the hangar ...

Old December 30th 14, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default OT - Looks what is waiting in the back of the hangar ...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Eric Stevens
Old December 31st 14, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 12/30/2014 05:38 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Interesting that you would post that today.

I just repaired a guy's computer a few hours ago and decided to take a
barter since it was a minor repair.

Got a 90 year old (approx) contact print 2.5" x 4"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...65114601_o.jpg
Old December 31st 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-30 23:38:29 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Good! We need more than one flying example. Here is hoping that there
are a few more recoverable airframes somewhere, and they can be vetted
as candidates for full flying restoration.
So many of the aging WWII warbirds are having their airworthy ranks
thinned to the point of near extinction.
The threatened airworthy WWII Warbird population:
Mosquito: 1
P-38: 6
B-17: 4
B-25: 8
B-24: 6
Lancaster: 1
P-39: 3 (outside of Russia)
FW-190: 6
Bf-109: 4
Bf-109 (Hispano variant): 6
Hurricane: 13
F6F Hellcat: 6
F4F Wildcat: 17

These have airworthy populations currently greater than 20:
P51 all variants(157),
P-40 all variants(37),
Spitfire all variants(55),
F4U Corsair(31)
and AT-6(well into the 100s, many still unassembled in original crates) .

Savageduck

Old December 31st 14, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-31 01:29:48 +0000, philoÂ* said:

On 12/30/2014 05:38 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Interesting that you would post that today.

I just repaired a guy's computer a few hours ago and decided to take a
barter since it was a minor repair.

Got a 90 year old (approx) contact print 2.5" x 4"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...65114601_o.jpg

Nice!

That is a JN-4, Curtiss "Jenny".

Savageduck

Old December 31st 14, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 17:32:01 -0800, Savageduck

On 2014-12-30 23:38:29 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Good! We need more than one flying example. Here is hoping that there
are a few more recoverable airframes somewhere, and they can be vetted
as candidates for full flying restoration.

Don't worry. The only parts they can't make from new are the engines.

The one in the photograph is #2. There is a #3 in the pipepline.

So many of the aging WWII warbirds are having their airworthy ranks
thinned to the point of near extinction.
The threatened airworthy WWII Warbird population:
Mosquito: 1

Apart from the New Zealand made ones, I think there is another rebuild
coming along in the UK somewhere.

P-38: 6
B-17: 4
B-25: 8
B-24: 6
Lancaster: 1

There are two flying Lancasters: one in England and one in Canada.
They recently got together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efer_GCo-Ag

Old December 31st 14, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-30 23:38:29 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Good! We need more than one flying example. Here is hoping that there
are a few more recoverable airframes somewhere, and they can be vetted
as candidates for full flying restoration.

Don't worry. The only parts they can't make from new are the engines.

There is a fairly good supply of Packard Merlins.

The one in the photograph is #2. There is a #3 in the pipepline.

Good!

So many of the aging WWII warbirds are having their airworthy ranks
thinned to the point of near extinction.
The threatened airworthy WWII Warbird population:
Mosquito: 1

Apart from the New Zealand made ones, I think there is another rebuild
coming along in the UK somewhere.

NZ has become quite the warbird restoration center. So it is a good
thing to know the UK is making some sort of effort to restore one of
their great planes (even though the bulk of the Mossies were built in
Canada).

P-38: 6
B-17: 4
B-25: 8
B-24: 6
Lancaster: 1

There are two flying Lancasters: one in England and one in Canada.
They recently got together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efer_GCo-Ag

I forgot about the Canadian Lancaster.

Old December 31st 14, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-12-30 23:38:29 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Good! We need more than one flying example. Here is hoping that there
are a few more recoverable airframes somewhere, and they can be vetted
as candidates for full flying restoration.

Don't worry. The only parts they can't make from new are the engines.

There is a fairly good supply of Packard Merlins.

As long as though don't get swallowed up by the demand for 5 minute
racing and tractor pulling engines.

Old December 31st 14, 11:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 2014-12-31 01:29:48 +0000, philo said:

On 12/30/2014 05:38 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Interesting that you would post that today.

I just repaired a guy's computer a few hours ago and decided to take a
barter since it was a minor repair.

Got a 90 year old (approx) contact print 2.5" x 4"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...65114601_o.jpg

Nice!

That is a JN-4, Curtiss "Jenny".

Thanks for the ID on what to me was a "mystery" plane.

BTW: Can you now identify the women? (g)
Old December 31st 14, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-31 01:29:48 +0000, philo said:

On 12/30/2014 05:38 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...SC7156_DxO.jpg

Mosquito #2

Interesting that you would post that today.

I just repaired a guy's computer a few hours ago and decided to take a
barter since it was a minor repair.

Got a 90 year old (approx) contact print 2.5" x 4"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...65114601_o.jpg

Nice!

That

is a JN-4, Curtiss "Jenny".

Thanks for the ID on what to me was a "mystery" plane.

There are two features which are absolutely diagnostic in IDing that as a JN-4.
1: The extended struts and stays above the upper wing.
2: The wing tip hoop skids.

They first flew in 1915 and it was use a trainer through WWI. After WWI
they were an affordable plane for the masses and conspicuous on the
barnstorming circuit in the 1920's. For thousands of Americans in the
1920's the "Jenny" was the first plane they had seen, and for those who
paid, the first opportunity to fly.

I suspect that your photo was taken at a barnstorming event in the
early 1920's. The photographer probably travelled with the barnstormers
and was one of the ways they generated additional cash from those who,
like those ladies. had come to see the daring young men and their
flying machines.

BTW: Can you now identify the women? (g)

Third from the right is Mabel Sarelli.

Savageduck

Old December 31st 14, 02:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

On 2014-12-31 11:05:53 +0000, philo said:

That

[...]

Thanks for the great info and the add'l ID (g)