P&S cameras with eye-level finders?

Old December 26th 14, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert

Default P&S cameras with eye-level finders?

Is the market for P&S cameras with eye-level finders big enough that
there's a Web site somewhere with up to date info on what's available?

--
St. Paul, MN
Old December 27th 14, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bert wrote:

Is the market for P&S cameras with eye-level finders big enough that
there's a Web site somewhere with up to date info on what's
available?

Pretty thin criterias... You want a compact camera with a "big enough"
finder? What is big enough? Should it be an optical viewfinder or an
electrical? Is the viewfinder your only criteria for purchasing a camera?

The Sony A6000 has a very good EVF and is a very good camera.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 27th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert

In Sandman
wrote:

In article , Bert wrote:

Is the market for P&S cameras with eye-level finders big enough that
there's a Web site somewhere with up to date info on what's
available?

Pretty thin criterias... You want a compact camera with a "big enough"
finder?

You're kidding, right?

But no.

I asked if the market was big enough to support one or more Web sites
that tracked that market.

What is big enough? Should it be an optical viewfinder or an
electrical?

Doesn't matter, so long as it more or less accurately represents the
area that will be imaged, and is mechanically configured in such a way
as to be more visible in various lighting than the ubiquitous LCD panels
glued to the back of most cameras.

Is the viewfinder your only criteria for purchasing a camera?

No, but it's a necessity.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old December 27th 14, 09:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert

In John Navas
wrote:

In Article
on Sat, 27 Dec 2014 20:43:55 +0000 (UTC), Bert wrote:

I asked if the market was big enough to support one or more Web sites
that tracked that market.

Why would you expect there to be such limited sites?

Really? All I asked is whether there were Web sites that tracked the
market, not for Web sites that tracked ONLY that market.

The information is readily available on digital camera websites; e.g.,
http://www.imaging-resource.com/viewfinder-cameras

Thank you.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old December 29th 14, 10:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bert wrote:

In Sandman

Bert:
Is the market for P&S cameras with eye-level finders big enough
that there's a Web site somewhere with up to date info on what's
available?

Sandman:
Pretty thin criterias... You want a compact camera with a "big
enough" finder?

You're kidding, right?

But no.

I asked if the market was big enough to support one or more Web
sites that tracked that market.

Haha, I read "In the market...", as you being "in the market" to acquire
one. My bad.

Sandman:
What is big enough? Should it be an optical viewfinder or an
electrical?

Doesn't matter, so long as it more or less accurately represents the
area that will be imaged, and is mechanically configured in such a
way as to be more visible in various lighting than the ubiquitous
LCD panels glued to the back of most cameras.

Any modern EVF should suffice, then.

Look at the Sony A6000.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 29th 14, 02:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

In article , Bert wrote:

In Sandman

Bert:

http://tinyurl.com/noxz4ej
--
teleportation kills
Old December 29th 14, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

In article , Bert wrote:

In Sandman

Bert:
[...]

I gave you the wrong link. Sorry. This is it:

http://tinyurl.com/pau8q2y
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old December 29th 14, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert

In Sandman
wrote:

Look at the Sony A6000.

Thanks.

From the pictures, it looks like the controls on the back are slightly
recessed, which should elminiate the problem with my old Canon S3, where
simply holding the camera more or less normally could result in
depressing one or more of its buttons.

On the other hand, it looks like it's quite a bit more than a P&S. This
will take some convincing before my wife would spring for the cost.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old December 29th 14, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Bert wrote:

In Sandman
wrote:

Look at the Sony A6000.

Thanks.

From the pictures, it looks like the controls on the back are slightly
recessed, which should elminiate the problem with my old Canon S3, where
simply holding the camera more or less normally could result in
depressing one or more of its buttons.

On the other hand, it looks like it's quite a bit more than a P&S. This
will take some convincing before my wife would spring for the cost.

I posted a link with a list of cameras above in the thread... if you
like Sony, however, the RX100 III would save you some $100 compared to
the a6000. Tt's a PS. Never tried it but it's well regarded in some of
the more popular forums.
--
teleportation kills
Old December 29th 14, 04:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Bert wrote:

In Sandman

Sandman:
Look at the Sony A6000.

Thanks.

From the pictures, it looks like the controls on the back are
slightly recessed, which should elminiate the problem with my old
Canon S3, where simply holding the camera more or less normally
could result in depressing one or more of its buttons.

On the other hand, it looks like it's quite a bit more than a P&S.
This will take some convincing before my wife would spring for the
cost.

Yeah, it's an interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C sensor, but if you
get it with the 16-50/ f3.5-5.6 lens, it's hardly much bigger than one, and
when/if you ever feel that having the benefits of another lens, you have
it. If not, it's a neat camera as-is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Alpha-24-3MP-Interchangeable-Camera/dp/B00MTZI376/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419871429&sr =1-4&keywords=a6000

If you ask me, it's a good in-between of a compact camera and a full-blown
SLR. It has all the manual and auto controls you will ever need, and it has
the capacity for more if you should so desire. And the size of a "more or
less bulky) compact camera. You can't lose.

I bought the high-end Sony RX1R a year back, which is a compact camera with
a fixed lens, but replaced it with the Sony A7 six months later. Both are
great and size-comparable with 35mm lenses, but the A7 packs a bigger punch
when it comes to possibilities, never regretted that choice, and the A7 -
which is by far bigger than the A6000 - is now my "compact camera" for all
intents and purposes.

--
Sandman[.net]