P&S cameras with eye-level finders?

Old December 29th 14, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

Default P&S cameras with eye-level finders?

On 12/29/2014 10:48 AM, Bert wrote:
In Sandman
wrote:

Look at the Sony A6000.

Thanks.

From the pictures, it looks like the controls on the back are slightly
recessed, which should elminiate the problem with my old Canon S3, where
simply holding the camera more or less normally could result in
depressing one or more of its buttons.

On the other hand, it looks like it's quite a bit more than a P&S. This
will take some convincing before my wife would spring for the cost.

I have been married for 55 years. The answer is simple. Just buy it.
That way there is only one discussion. Discussing in advance is lose,
lose if she says no. If you agree, your answer will be someting like,
"how could you even think of that?" And it can be continuous.
OTOH if you just buy it, there is only one discussion. When she asks
when you bought it, the answer is always about six months ago. The
discussion is trhen about how long ago you made the purchase. That's
much easier to deal with. ;-)

--
PeterN
Old December 29th 14, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/29/2014 12:32 PM, John Navas wrote:
In Article
on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:16:33 -0500, PeterN wrote:

On 12/29/2014 10:48 AM, Bert wrote:
In Sandman
wrote:

Look at the Sony A6000.

Thanks.

From the pictures, it looks like the controls on the back are slightly
recessed, which should elminiate the problem with my old Canon S3, where
simply holding the camera more or less normally could result in
depressing one or more of its buttons.

On the other hand, it looks like it's quite a bit more than a P&S. This
will take some convincing before my wife would spring for the cost.

"It is easier to get forgiveness than permission."

I have been married for 55 years. The answer is simple. Just buy it.
That way there is only one discussion. Discussing in advance is lose,
lose if she says no. If you agree, your answer will be someting like,
"how could you even think of that?" And it can be continuous.
OTOH if you just buy it, there is only one discussion. When she asks
when you bought it, the answer is always about six months ago. The
discussion is trhen about how long ago you made the purchase. That's
much easier to deal with. ;-)

My own experience is that dishonesty (even in "small" things) is
likely to lead to disaster, and that a better approach is to buy it,
disclose it, be completely honest, and be prepared to return it if
necessary. Ask yourself which is more important, the toy, or the
relationship and your personal integrity?

John, do you think for one second she doesn't know what I am doing?
Also, our next meal will be the same. (We have been known to spend
hundreds of dollars a week just to eat in restaurants. It's really a
game that has been ongoing for well over forty-five years.

--
PeterN
Old December 29th 14, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-29 16:48:43 +0000, Sandman said:

In article , Bert wrote:

In Sandman

Sandman:
Look at the Sony A6000.

Thanks.

From the pictures, it looks like the controls on the back are
slightly recessed, which should elminiate the problem with my old
Canon S3, where simply holding the camera more or less normally
could result in depressing one or more of its buttons.

On the other hand, it looks like it's quite a bit more than a P&S.
This will take some convincing before my wife would spring for the
cost.

Yeah, it's an interchangeable lens camera with an APS-C sensor, but if you
get it with the 16-50/ f3.5-5.6 lens, it's hardly much bigger than one, and
when/if you ever feel that having the benefits of another lens, you have
it. If not, it's a neat camera as-is:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Alpha-24-3MP-Interchangeable-Camera/dp/B00MTZI376/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1419871429&sr =1-4&keywords=a6000

If

you ask me, it's a good in-between of a compact camera and a full-blown
SLR. It has all the manual and auto controls you will ever need, and it has
the capacity for more if you should so desire. And the size of a "more or
less bulky) compact camera. You can't lose.

I bought the high-end Sony RX1R a year back, which is a compact camera with
a fixed lens, but replaced it with the Sony A7 six months later. Both are
great and size-comparable with 35mm lenses, but the A7 packs a bigger punch
when it comes to possibilities, never regretted that choice, and the A7 -
which is by far bigger than the A6000 - is now my "compact camera" for all
intents and purposes.

I wouldn't dream of calling an A7 a "compact camera". It sure wouldn't
fit into and average pocket.
Most importantly it is not exactly a budget camera.
Just remember not everybody has the needs, equipment demands, and
available budget that you, or I, or many of the regulars in this forum
have.

If I were looking for a COMPACT with an eye-level VF, and not an APS-C
or FF exchangeable lens mirrorless, at a reasonable price, and with
good performance consider the Fujifilm X30.

....and at $599, even that might be too costly for some, but if a major
criterium is an eye-level VF the pickings are lean in a true compact.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=fujifilm+finepix+x30&N=0&InitialSearch= yes&sts=ps
http://fujifilm-x.com/x30/en/

Savageduck

Old December 29th 14, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 12/29/2014 12:56 PM, John Navas wrote:
In Article
on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:53:07 -0500, PeterN wrote:

[...]

I have no idea. I was taking what you wrote at face value.

Also, our next meal will be the same. (We have been known to spend
hundreds of dollars a week just to eat in restaurants. It's really a
game that has been ongoing for well over forty-five years.

Good for you (seriously), but is that a good basis for general advice?

Depends on your relationship. If my wife was really 100% agsinst a
purchase I wouldn't make it. I could not enjoy something if I knew my
enjoymnet was making my wife miserable. As I said earlier it's a game we
play.

--
PeterN
Old December 30th 14, 11:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article 2014122910100814918-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck wrote:

I bought the high-end Sony RX1R a year back, which is a compact
camera with a fixed lens, but replaced it with the Sony A7 six
months later. Both are great and size-comparable with 35mm lenses,
but the A7 packs a bigger punch when it comes to possibilities,
never regretted that choice, and the A7 - which is by far bigger
than the A6000 - is now my "compact camera" for all intents and
purposes.

I wouldn't dream of calling an A7 a "compact camera". It sure
wouldn't fit into and average pocket.

Well, I'm not sure "pocketable" is really the only valid definition of
compact camera. In DPReviews recommendations for best compact camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0445208298/dpreview-recommends-best-compact-cameras-for-enthusiasts

They list the Sony RX1R, the one I owned earlier, as an "also consider",
and the RX1R is pretty much the exact same size as the Sony A7 with a 35mm
lens:

http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/Sony_A7 (In Swedish)

Most importantly it is not exactly a budget camera. Just remember not
everybody has the needs, equipment demands, and available budget that
you, or I, or many of the regulars in this forum have.

Which is why I mentioned the A6000 initially, which has a much better price
tag. I am not suggesting that anyone buy the Sony A7 or RX1 as a compact
camera. I suggested the A6000 and the OP correctly pointed out that it's
not really a compact camera since it has interchangeable lenses, but given
its size, I think it qualifies. I then talked about my compact cameras and
how the slightly larger size is price worth paying for the
quality/possibuilities you get.

If I were looking for a COMPACT with an eye-level VF, and not an
APS-C or FF exchangeable lens mirrorless, at a reasonable price, and
with good performance consider the Fujifilm X30.

It was also listed as an "also consider" in the aforementioned DPReview
recommendation.

...and at $599, even that might be too costly for some, but if a
major criterium is an eye-level VF the pickings are lean in a true
compact.

Right, and the A6000, with the kit lens, is pretty much the exact same size
as the X30. It's more expensive of course, but has higher resolution with a
bigger sensor, and can use any NEX lens. To me, that would be worth it.

Savageduck

--
Sandman[.net]
Old December 30th 14, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert

In PeterN wrote:

OTOH if you just buy it, there is only one discussion. When she asks
when you bought it, the answer is always about six months ago.

Joe Soucheray, local newspaper columnist and some-time radio talk show
host, made that a running bit in his afternoon drive-time programming.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old December 30th 14, 10:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bert

In Bert
wrote:

Is the market for P&S cameras with eye-level finders big enough that
there's a Web site somewhere with up to date info on what's available?

Following up to myself to thank you folks for the tips and pointers.

I was initially put off by the prices of these cameras, but then, I was
comparing them to what I paid for my old S3, which I bought Long Ago,
with Old Dollars.

I'd really like an digital version of my old OM-1, and all my old
lenses and accessories back. But, I think something like that would
probably cost what I paid for my car.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old December 30th 14, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Bert
wrote:

I'd really like an digital version of my old OM-1, and all my old
lenses and accessories back. But, I think something like that would
probably cost what I paid for my car.

$500 for an entry level slr will do much more than the om-1 ever did.

replacing the lenses could be spendy depending on what you had (but not
as much as a car), however, newer lenses are much better and will also
autofocus.

you could use your old lenses with adapters on 4/3rds but it's more of
a pain than anything else.
Old December 30th 14, 11:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-30 22:29:16 +0000, John Navas said:

Bert Wrote in message:
In Bert
wrote:

Is the market for P&S cameras with eye-level finders big enough that
there's a Web site somewhere with up to date info on what's available?

Following up to myself to thank you folks for the tips and pointers.

I was initially put off by the prices of these cameras, but then, I was
comparing them to what I paid for my old S3, which I bought Long Ago,
with Old Dollars.

I'd really like an digital version of my old OM-1, and all my old
lenses and accessories back. But, I think something like that would
probably cost what I paid for my car.

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera
with 14-42mm Lens, $800.

....and in that $800-$1100 range there is the APS-C Fujifilm X-E2.

You might have noticed, I really like that camera. ;-)
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/

B&H is offering a nice deal with an 18-55mm, an extra battery, &
SanDisk 32GB Extreme SDHC for $1099.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008069-REG/fujifilm_16405018_x_e2_mirrorless_digital_camera.h tml
http://tinyurl.com/lcxwphh

Savageduck

Old December 31st 14, 03:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-12-31 03:24:32 +0000, John Navas said:

In Article 2014123015363089992-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom

On 2014-12-30 22:29:16 +0000, John Navas said:

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera
with 14-42mm Lens, $800.

...and in that $800-$1100 range there is the APS-C Fujifilm X-E2.

You might have noticed, I really like that camera. ;-)
http://fujifilm-x.com/x-e2/en/

B&H is offering a nice deal with an 18-55mm, an extra battery, &
SanDisk 32GB Extreme SDHC for $1099.

Amazing! Your camera just happens to be right at the other end of
"that range". Who would have thunk?

snicker, ...snort, ...subdued giggle.

Savageduck