Canon 300D USB Driver

Old July 11th 04, 09:24 AM
Craig

Default Canon 300D USB Driver

I have gone on holiday, with a laptop and my 300D, expcting to simply
connect the camera to the laptop USB, and be abl to download images.

However, I require the USB Driver, it seems!

Anyone have any idea wher I could download the driver for WinXP for the
canon 300D to connect to my PC? Tried the Canon site, but nothing...

Maybe someone could mail it to me, if I supplied an e-mail address??

Craig

Old July 11th 04, 12:40 PM
Skip M

"Craig" wrote in message
I have gone on holiday, with a laptop and my 300D, expcting to simply
connect the camera to the laptop USB, and be abl to download images.

However, I require the USB Driver, it seems!

Anyone have any idea wher I could download the driver for WinXP for the
canon 300D to connect to my PC? Tried the Canon site, but nothing...

Maybe someone could mail it to me, if I supplied an e-mail address??

Craig

Didn't you get it with your camera? If you didn't, the simple solution is
to get a card reader.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 11th 04, 02:32 PM
Martin Lyons

SNIP
Anyone have any idea wher I could download the driver for WinXP for the
canon 300D to connect to my PC? Tried the Canon site, but nothing...

Maybe someone could mail it to me, if I supplied an e-mail address??

Craig

Hi Craig

WinXP should see the camera as a removable drive.
You shouldn't need a driver.
Use Windows Explorer and open "My Computer" you should see it there.

Hope you get it sorted!

Regards
Martin

Old July 11th 04, 04:25 PM
Big Bill

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:24:42 +0100, "Craig"
wrote:

I have gone on holiday, with a laptop and my 300D, expcting to simply
connect the camera to the laptop USB, and be abl to download images.

However, I require the USB Driver, it seems!

Anyone have any idea wher I could download the driver for WinXP for the
canon 300D to connect to my PC? Tried the Canon site, but nothing...

Maybe someone could mail it to me, if I supplied an e-mail address??

Craig

The 300d is a USB Storage Class device, and as such needs no driver to
connect to a PC using WinXP.
This assumes that the PC has the USB ports properly initialized, which
depends more on the Motherboard (and associated drivers) than XP.

Have you been able to conect, for example, an external hard drive to
the laptop in the past? Have you tried any other Storage Class
devices?

(Water under the bridge in your case, but this really should have been
attempted before leaving for the holiday.)

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old July 11th 04, 05:56 PM
Zol.

"Craig" wrote in message
I have gone on holiday, with a laptop and my 300D, expcting to simply
connect the camera to the laptop USB, and be abl to download images.

However, I require the USB Driver, it seems!

Anyone have any idea wher I could download the driver for WinXP for the
canon 300D to connect to my PC? Tried the Canon site, but nothing...

Maybe someone could mail it to me, if I supplied an e-mail address??

Craig

Hi, goto www.powershot.com & look under the Pro Digital SLR section for the drivers &
software updates - the info & downloads are there for you & your XP system.

Zol.

Old July 11th 04, 07:33 PM
Dave Martindale

"Craig" writes:
I have gone on holiday, with a laptop and my 300D, expcting to simply
connect the camera to the laptop USB, and be abl to download images.

However, I require the USB Driver, it seems!

As others have pointed out, you need the Canon USB driver to access the
camera in Canon mode, but you should be able to use PTP mode with WinXP
without any additional drivers.

Or you could get a USB card reader, which will probably be faster.

But there's a 3rd option: most laptops have a couple of PCMCIA (PC Card)
slots. If you get a CF card to PC card adapter, you can plug the CF
card into a PC card slot and it will appear as a disk to the laptop.
Then you just copy files.

Since this is a direct parallel connection to the PC Card bus, transfers
are likely going to be faster than via USB. And since the CF card
interface is electrically the same as the PC card interface, the adapter
is just a passive connector adapter and thus cheap. (Adapters for other
card formats like MMC/SC or Memory Stick need electronics to convert
between interfaces and protocols).

Dave
Old July 12th 04, 12:28 AM
Big Bill

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:46:55 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

wrote:

[...]

The Canon 300D is not a USB Storage Class device. At best it uses
Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) when enabled through the camera's menus.

Whoa!
I shoulda checked better!
I was thinking of my older C4000. Sorry!

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old July 12th 04, 02:34 AM
skymuffins

"Craig" wrote in message
I have gone on holiday, with a laptop and my 300D, expcting to simply
connect the camera to the laptop USB, and be abl to download images.

However, I require the USB Driver, it seems!

Anyone have any idea wher I could download the driver for WinXP for the
canon 300D to connect to my PC? Tried the Canon site, but nothing...

Maybe someone could mail it to me, if I supplied an e-mail address??

Craig

I use a PC Card Slot - CF Card adapter. I got it for $10 at BestBuy. It
works just fine... and I can use it as a removable storage device to boot.

- Harrison