flying, film and X-rays

Old February 2nd 04, 05:52 AM
Mike Cordelli

Default flying, film and X-rays

Ziploc will work, but be prepared to be standing there a while, the last
time I saw somebody hand over a bag of 30 or 40 rolls of film, they opened
the bag, dumped them into a bin, and proceeded to go roll by roll swabbing
and reading the swab, then doing it for the next one, looked like it would
be quite a while.

"Craig" wrote in message
Hello...I know this topic has been hashed before (I've been going over the
old Google archives), but it seems that the opinions are all over the map.
I'm going to be making a trip from Cincinnati to Manila via Taipei and Los
Angeles and will be bringing a fair amount of film (35mm, 25 rolls with

ASA
range from 64 to 400 all of it slide film and about 50 rolls of APS print
film with an ASA range of 100 to 800). I would prefer to have the film

hand
inspected, given the number of security machines I will encounter round
trip. What would be the best way to present the film in order to make the
TSA more likely to agree to hand inspection. Is it okay to leave the film
in the sealed cardboard boxes? (I would rather travel with it that way,

but
it would be a mess to have to open every package in security). I also

plan
on putting the film into clear ziploc bags. Should I then put the ziploc
bag into a lead pouch (for use after leaving the U.S) and hand them the
entire package, or simply hand them the clear ziploc? What I'm looking

for
is a consenus...what have others found to be the most likely way to get

hand
inspection of film while making it as painless as possible.
Craig

Old February 2nd 04, 06:16 AM
nobody

Craig wrote:
Angeles and will be bringing a fair amount of film (35mm, 25 rolls with ASA
range from 64 to 400 all of it slide film and about 50 rolls of APS print
film with an ASA range of 100 to 800).

When you request hand inspection, make sure you specify you have a number of
rolls that are 400 and above.

It is best to arrive at the inspection point with all rolls out of the boxes
and canisters in a ziplok bag. Make it easy for them to do a very fast hand inspection.

For those cases where they refuse, you cfan then take the ziplok and put in it
a lead bag and allow it through the x-ray. (Some say that they will just
increase the power to see through it, but I am not sure if this is true or
just urban myth).

It will also help to mention that you are taking a large number flights and
that while just one x-ray exposure may be ok, in your case, you need to reduce
the cumulative effects.
Old February 2nd 04, 07:04 AM
JRF

"nobody" wrote in message
Craig wrote:

It is best to arrive at the inspection point with all rolls out of the

boxes
and canisters in a ziplok bag. Make it easy for them to do a very fast

hand inspection.

Absolutely the most important point - do all you can to make it easier for
them to do what you want them to do. Taking the film out of the boxes and
out of the cans and placing them in clear plastic bags to pretty much
mandatory if you hope to have hand inspection outside the US.

For those cases where they refuse, you cfan then take the ziplok and put

in it
a lead bag and allow it through the x-ray. (Some say that they will just
increase the power to see through it, but I am not sure if this is true or
just urban myth).

Urban myth. It used to be true, but the technology has change while the
story hasn't. The gate security x-ray machines IN THE US are pulsed - they
work like an electronic flash that uses x-rays instead of visible light. It
captures a snapshot to the video display on the system. These machines use
this method to reduce the amount of x-rays required to get a useful image so
as to minimize the weight of the machines. Now that they are needed in
large numbers, the old continuous beam types would place more weight in a
limited area (because of the shielding required) than most structures can
support. It was those older types that allowed the operator to raised the
intensity of the x-ray beam, something that was counter to the shielding
designed to minimize exposure of the security staff.

Exit trivia mode.

But, having raised the subject - it is more important to do your best to get
hand inspection outside the US. We pushed countries around the world to
increase airport security and helped them do it by giving them the old,
continuous beam x-ray machines we replaced with our new flash-types. So you
can expect to encounter stronger x-rays if you travel outside the US,
western Europe, and Japan. This puts more importance on arranging your film
in an easy-to-inspect configuration and asking very nicely (outside the US
you have no rights), and letting them know your are concerned about the
cumulative effect of all the x-rays on your ROUND TRIP.

And be sure to allow yourself enough time. You have a right under FAA rules
to request hand inspection, but there are no specifications about how fast
it has to get done. So irritating the security staff isn't in your best
ineterst, nor is hiding the film in canisters or boxes. Getting hand
inspection, avoiding the x-ray exposure, and missing your plane won't make
for memorable trip. Actually, it will, but not the kind most folks try for.

It will also help to mention that you are taking a large number flights

and
that while just one x-ray exposure may be ok, in your case, you need to

reduce
the cumulative effects.

And, if you haven't heard or read, NEVER NEVER NEVER put your film into a
checked-in bag. All checked luggage gets a CT scan in all US airports now -
there's no escaping it, and it will fog your film, even the slower stuff.

Bob in Las Vegas

Old February 2nd 04, 05:55 PM
Lester Higgins

Default flying, film and X-rays OT - Bob

Bob-
Interesting input older x-ray machines, specifically the user's ability
to "adjust" them. Can you be more specific?
I've worked on a number of early 80's vintage PerkinElmer x-ray machines in
airports, but have never seen one that was adjustable
"on-the-fly".
And I suppose you can say they are "pulsed", in that items are x-rayed in
"slices" and the images are assembled by
video boards ( or nowadays, the computer inside ), and the image moves
across the monitor to coincide with the movement of the belt.
Cheers.
LH

"JRF" wrote in message

Old February 2nd 04, 10:49 PM
MC

"nobody" wrote in message
Craig wrote:
[...]

Mentioning that you have to take or have already taken a number of flights
is no good. We just got "So what" looks on our last trip RTW (I think it
was 14 x-ray machines in total) and all staff said there was "no problem"
unless you were using ultra fast film of at least 800 asa. I did insist on
a hand search at Honolulu though and they did indeed hand search my films
but I only had about 6 left by this time (x-ray machine no.13 I believe).
Anyway, not one of our films was damaged. Half were 400asa the rest
200/100asa. Also, I suggest that you get the films processed as you use
them.

MC

Old February 2nd 04, 11:05 PM

MC wrote:

"nobody" wrote in message
Craig wrote:
[...]

Why not go here and ask them?

http://www.tsa.gov/public/contactus

Yaz
Old February 3rd 04, 01:56 AM
Shawn \Me\ Hearn

In article ,
"Craig" wrote:

Hello...I know this topic has been hashed before (I've been going over the
old Google archives), but it seems that the opinions are all over the map.

Leave the film at home (or don't even buy it) and travel with a digital
camera.
Old February 3rd 04, 02:54 AM
Ron Andrews

Other options to consider:

Purchase film when you get to your destination. Mail it back to your
favorite mail order finisher.
Include a roll of T-max P3200 film in each Ziploc bag. You are more
likely to get a hand inspection.
Most important (as JRF already said) NEVER put film in checked baggage!

--
Ron Andrews
http://members.hostedscripts.com/antispam.html

Old February 3rd 04, 04:20 AM
Ra

JRF wrote:

"nobody" wrote in message

Craig wrote:

It is best to arrive at the inspection point with all rolls out of the

boxes

and canisters in a ziplok bag. Make it easy for them to do a very fast

hand inspection.

I've flown once with film and requested a hand inspection. In the US,
they looked at me like I was nuts. They then allowed me stand in their
secondary inspection lane for about 40 minutes while they did everything
else they could before inspecting my film. They did the swipe with each
individual roll. Then they did re-reviewed me. X-rayed shoes, pat down
and all that.

On the return through CDG, they just told me to put in the machine. End
of story.