Tamron macro lens for Sony Alpha

Old September 28th 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
don tuttle

Default Tamron macro lens for Sony Alpha

I want a Tamron macro lens for my Sony A-65. I see two 90mm lenses
listed on Amazon:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Konica Minolta and
Sony Digital SLR Cameras (Model 272EM) $499

Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha Camera $799

Does the second lens have advantages/features that justify paying $300
more? (It does not have image stabilization.)

Thanks.

Don
Old September 28th 14, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-28 01:43:58 +0000, Don Tuttle said:

I want a Tamron macro lens for my Sony A-65. I see two 90mm lenses
listed on Amazon:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Konica Minolta and
Sony Digital SLR Cameras (Model 272EM) $499

Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha Camera $799

Does the second lens have advantages/features that justify paying $300
more? (It does not have image stabilization.)

Thanks.

Don

Check the prices you were given. Here is the new Tamron 90mm SP f/2.8
Di Macro AF, at B&H for $749.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892887-REG/Tamron_90Mm_F_2_8_Di_Macro.html

Amazon

isn't always the best place to find the best prices.

If you read the specs for the Sony mount version you will find that the
reason it does not have the VC (vibration control ) of the Canon &
Nikon versions is, Sony has vibration/shake control in the camera.

Anyway as to differences between the two different lenses other than
price, here you go:
Note; this review was done with the Canon version with VC.
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/854-tamron_90_28vc_eos_apsc

Savageduck

Old September 28th 14, 12:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
banjoboy54

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_Di_Macro.h
tml

Amazon

isn't always the best place to find the best prices.

If you read the specs for the Sony mount version you will find that the
reason it does not have the VC (vibration control ) of the Canon &
Nikon versions is, Sony has vibration/shake control in the camera.

Anyway as to differences between the two different lenses other than
price, here you go:
Note; this review was done with the Canon version with VC.
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/854-tamron_90_28vc_eos_apsc

New version adds vibration compensation which, as you point out, I
don't need with Sony Alpha body. Review says "There are two major
mechanical improvements compared to the old Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di
macro - the new lens is weather-sealed and it keeps a constant physical
length throughout its focus range." Of the weather sealing, another
review says, ""Right around the contact point where you connect the
lens to the body of your camera, Tamron added a rubber ³seal² which
helps keeps the internal components dry. It¹s not what I would call
true weather sealing, but it¹s a nice touch that will make a difference
in wet weather." I don't shoot in wet weather. In its conclusion, the
review to which you directed me says ""Obviously it has been improved
in a number of aspects over its predecessor." Only improvement I see
that might be relevant to me is constant physical length throughout
focus range.

Overall, probably not enough improvements in terms of my needs to
justify extra expense. Thanks for help.

Don
Old September 28th 14, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-09-28 01:43:58 +0000, Don Tuttle said:

[...]

Probably the most important new feature for you would be the quiet
high-torque USD AF motor.
....but if that is worth $250-$300 extra is going to be up to you.

Savageduck

Old September 28th 14, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.09.27, 21:43 , Don Tuttle wrote:
I want a Tamron macro lens for my Sony A-65. I see two 90mm lenses
listed on Amazon:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Konica Minolta and
Sony Digital SLR Cameras (Model 272EM) $499

This is a _VERY_ good macro lens. Sharp in macro and very versatile for
portrait. Note that the best results, esp. portrait, will be on a full
frame camera. This is a direct descendant of the near legendary Tamrom
90mm macro. You cannot go wrong with this lens.

Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha Camera $799

Tamron claim better optical heritage v the prior lens. Not clear if
it's stabilized.

Does the second lens have advantages/features that justify paying $300
more? (It does not have image stabilization.)

You should also look into the Minolta 100 f/2.8 macro. Sharper than the
Tamron (2nd one above) at marco but perhaps a hair less suited to
portrait. The Sony version of the original Minolta should be as good
(same overall design, same production line).

Does your A-65 not have stabilization?

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”

Old September 28th 14, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Savageduck wrote in

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_90Mm_F_2_8_D
[...]

That would be for the Nikon/Canon version. Sony uses an in-body focus
motor.

--
IBA #55224
Old September 28th 14, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Savageduck wrote in

On 2014-09-28 01:43:58 +0000, Don Tuttle said:

[...]

It does??

Unless you mean that Sony uses an old screw type focus motor, as in the
older Nikons, which doesn't make sense.

Usually when the lens specs refer to "Internal Focusing" that means
the internal lens elements in the lens barrel move so that the overall
length of the lens does not change. I fail to see that Tamron is going
to compromise their lens design features for Sony in other than
dropping the VC as it isn't needed in the Sony version.

Savageduck

Old September 29th 14, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Savageduck wrote in

On 2014-09-28 18:29:25 +0000, Jeff said:

Savageduck wrote in

On 2014-09-28 11:27:21 +0000, banjoboy54

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ron_90Mm_F_2_8
[...]

I've had two Sony Alphas and a Minolta Maxxum film camera. There is a
mechanical coupler in the lens mount to connect the motor in the body to
the lens. My Tamron 18-200 zoom works with it.
Tamron need not change the lens design to make it work. They simply leave
the motor out of the lens and replace it with shaft/gears/etc. to turn
the focusing part of the lens the way a lens-based motor would.

--
IBA #55224