Pyro Staining B&W negatives vs. C-41 Monochromatic film

Old August 18th 04, 07:07 PM
Robert Vervoordt

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:04:31 -0500, "JJS" wrote:

The local Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch does not like Rodinal; they place
great importance on fine grain and extreme sharpness. The member who
makes tack sharp 20x24" prints from 35mm is held in high esteem; another
member who makes 16x20" prints from Minox negs is regarded as a demi-god.

Technique for the sake of Technique is the last refuge of the
imagination-impoverished fetish case.

You do know that this was posted as a sarcastic barb, don't you?

Robert Vervoordt, MFA
Old August 18th 04, 07:57 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Leigh Marrin/KM6JE wrote in message ...
Jim Phelps wrote:
By what? Rodinal has a quality and characterist of it's own. D-76 or
Microdol haven't replaced it for me...

The local Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch does not like Rodinal; they place
great importance on fine grain and extreme sharpness. The member who
makes tack sharp 20x24" prints from 35mm is held in high esteem; another
member who makes 16x20" prints from Minox negs is regarded as a demi-god.

Like Mike Scarpitti, members of the Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch almost never
use the word "TONALITY".

'Tonality' in 35mm comes in third behind fine gain and sharpness;
unfortunately that's the nature of the beast. It's not for want of
trying.

See Anchell and Troop, page 6.

Old August 18th 04, 08:35 PM
JJS

"Robert Vervoordt" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:04:31 -0500, "JJS" wrote:

The local Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch does not like Rodinal; they place
great importance on fine grain and extreme sharpness. The member who
makes tack sharp 20x24" prints from 35mm is held in high esteem;

another
member who makes 16x20" prints from Minox negs is regarded as a

demi-god.

Technique for the sake of Technique is the last refuge of the
imagination-impoverished fetish case.

You do know that this was posted as a sarcastic barb, don't you?

Of course! I know you at least that well.

Old August 18th 04, 10:33 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Jim Phelps wrote:
By what? Rodinal has a quality and characterist of it's own. D-76 or
Microdol haven't replaced it for me...

The local Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch does not like Rodinal; they place
great importance on fine grain and extreme sharpness. The member who
makes tack sharp 20x24" prints from 35mm is held in high esteem; another
member who makes 16x20" prints from Minox negs is regarded as a demi-god.

Like Mike Scarpitti, members of the Kamera Klub Koffee Klatch almost never
use the word "TONALITY".

Leigh,

Not to poke fun at you or the KKKK, but what if grain or the look
provided by, say FP4 and Rodinal was what I desired in the artistic image I
was producing? I would think, and this is MHO, taking shots of dilapidated
factories would need a gritty and robust look to them. So Tri-X in Rodinal
might make this real. If I wanted grainless, then Tech-Pan in Technidol or
TDLC-103 would be my choice. I have made 20X24's from 35mm with almost no
visible grain using TP and TDLC-103. If I had the paper, I'm sure I could
go larger before grain was evident (FWIW, I use a Beseler 23C-II that has
been modified to make it more stable and vibration free to include top and
bottom wall mounting to an eight inch reinforced concrete wall, Rodenstock
APO Rodagon-N lenses and align everything with a Versalab Parallel laser).

The point I'm making is not every one wants or needs grain free prints.
It's all about choice. I'm glad there is one. I have D-76, HC-110,
Rodinal, Ultrafin and a host of raw chemicals (including pyro) in my
cupboard right now to mix what ever I choose to meet the needs of my desires
for the image. To dismiss Rodinal as "superseded" or 'outdated' is hogwash.

Jim

The point is that Rodinal is not the best of its type. I like
sharpness AND fine grain AND nice tones AND good speed. Acutol and
FX-39 provide these in greater degree than Rodinal. There is nothing
Rodinal can do that these do not do better. Period.