eos 5 and eos 1

Old October 8th 03, 12:04 PM
Deathwalker

Default eos 5 and eos 1

been offered an eos 5 for £225 with battery grip in a private sale is this
good? i'm alos considering an eos 1. There seem to be several variants.
Not worried about picture taking modes but would merely like a camera with
high flash sync speed, deadly accurate focus which doesn't require an af
illuminator and as easy to use in manual overide as possible. Used to own
an A1 with genuine FD lenses. Disappointed with my 300 exposure and 50E
focusing. Some afficionadoes say the only way to get best optical quality
and accurate metering is to go nikon route. Currently have sigma 80-200,
canon 75-300 and 28-80 usm. AFter the A1 simplicity and build quality seem
better than all the other tricks they stuff in these days. Only thing is
fully manual with 50E only leaves me with centreweighted metering.

your thoughts and advice please.

Old October 8th 03, 06:11 PM
Q. Lu

Both are great cameras. If you are not happy with 50E focusing, make sure
you check that out on 5 and 1. I don't believe they are much better. UK
price seems a bit higher than here in US.

Old October 8th 03, 09:51 PM
Deathwalker

shop assistant said he owned a 50e and sent back for work as it was soft
focusing. could be bug with that model. Other research suggest eos 5
models have a problem with one of the control wheels breaking off.

I really am looking for quality and simplicity over bells and whistles.
this seems to be 1000f or eos1?

oh i miss my A1

Old October 8th 03, 10:39 PM
Q. Lu

I've used all three models you mentioned (plus the A1, although I like T90
better). My 50E, called Elan IIe here, worked well on AF. The EOS 5 I own
seems quite solid (I don't abuse equipments though). Try 1n or 1v if that is
within your budget.

Old October 8th 03, 11:58 PM
Deathwalker

"Q. Lu" wrote in message
I've used all three models you mentioned (plus the A1, although I like T90
better). My 50E, called Elan IIe here, worked well on AF. The EOS 5 I own
seems quite solid (I don't abuse equipments though). Try 1n or 1v if that

is
within your budget.

in the uk EOS 1 2nd hand £299.
EOS 1n 2nd £499
EOS 1v gulp!
EOS 1 HS
EOS1v HS £995 mint condition.

I couldn't afford T90 or F1. Glad i sprang for A1 over ae1 or ae1 program.

T90 still goes for £500+ over here.

Old October 9th 03, 03:53 AM
Tom Pfeiffer

The IIe/50e has pretty accurate AF, though not a very high sync speed or
ruggedness compared to say and EOS 3 or 1n/v.

The problem with the command dial breaking was only on the US A2/A2e, not on
the Eurasian EOS 5, but it's older and slower AF technology than even the
50e.

Tom P.

Old October 9th 03, 11:37 PM
Q. Lu

"Q. Lu" wrote in message
I've used all three models you mentioned (plus the A1, although I like

T90
better). My 50E, called Elan IIe here, worked well on AF. The EOS 5 I

own
seems quite solid (I don't abuse equipments though). Try 1n or 1v if

that
is
within your budget.

in the uk EOS 1 2nd hand £299.
EOS 1n 2nd £499
EOS 1v gulp!
EOS 1 HS
EOS1v HS £995 mint condition.

I couldn't afford T90 or F1. Glad i sprang for A1 over ae1 or ae1

program.

T90 still goes for £500+ over here.

I sold my T90 6 years ago for US$450, and I felt I got lucky. You may
consider buying something in US, probably that will save more than a round
trip ticket between UK and NYC.

Old October 11th 03, 12:14 AM
Deathwalker

"Q. Lu" wrote in message
[...]

I'd love to visit the US. outgoing flights entitle me to duty free. so
save 17.5% may justify the flight alone if i bought an Eos 10D