expired film

Old December 14th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default expired film

I have an unopened 4 pack of Kodak Gold 200 color neg film. The
expiration was 02 / 2006.
Can I still use this ? Should I expect some sort of color shift or
other changes?

2nd question:

I'm just getting back into film photography. How much color correction
can one do with Photo Shop?
Can you fix up expired film in photo shop? Can you use daylight film
indoors with either incandescent or flourescent lights and still
correct it in photo shop?
thanks - Bob

Old December 14th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris Loffredo

wrote:
I have an unopened 4 pack of Kodak Gold 200 color neg film. The
expiration was 02 / 2006.
Can I still use this ? Should I expect some sort of color shift or
other changes?

Depending on how it's kept (esp. temperature) and speed, expired film
can be usable for (many) years.
The limitations to this statement are when *exact* color reproduction is
needed with (mainly) slide film. Even there, a few months past the
expiration date are unlikely to be visible.
After many years (again, depending on several conditions, more so with
faster films & higher temperatures) expired film will show more veiling,
lack of contrast, color shift and, eventually, spots & artifacts.

Kept in a refrigerator, film keeps several times longer. In a freezer,
almost indefinitely.

I'm just getting back into film photography. How much color correction
can one do with Photo Shop?

Lots! I've recovered barely visible B&W photographs from around 1900 and
(at least mostly) restored color from badly faded slides & film from the
early 1950's.

Can you fix up expired film in photo shop?

Yes, until the color shifts & veiling start meaning actually losing
significant information, or spots & other artifacts start becoming
visible (again, usually after several/many years)

Can you use daylight film
indoors with either incandescent or flourescent lights and still
correct it in photo shop?

To a large degree and in practice, yes, though you will lose some color
information (this is mainly significant with slides, when 100% accurate
color is needed, for example in the case of art reproductions).
Old December 14th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Irwin

wrote:
I have an unopened 4 pack of Kodak Gold 200 color neg film. The
expiration was 02 / 2006.
Can I still use this ? Should I expect some sort of color shift or
other changes?

It will be fine if it has been kept at room temperature or cooler.
If it was in the fridge it will be good for several years to come.

2nd question:

I'm just getting back into film photography. How much color correction
can one do with Photo Shop?
Can you fix up expired film in photo shop? Can you use daylight film
indoors with either incandescent or fluorescent lights and still
correct it in photo shop?

It is easier to fix colours on negative film if it has been
exposed a little more than the meter says. If you shoot
colour negative in incandescent light the red layer
will get extra exposure and the blue layer not enough.
If you expose a stop or two extra then the blue layer
will get enough and the red layer will still be okay
because there is plenty of overexposure latitude.
If you plan ahead, it is better to use a filter
over the lens to correct the colour before it reaches
the film. An 80A filter, while intended for 3200K floods
will work fine with 2800-2900K household incandescents
with negative film.

Peter.

Old December 14th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Starlord

Stick it in your freezer, that'll stop it from ageing. When you know you
want to shot a roll, take it out the night before and let it come to room
temp then when ready load your camera. I've got film that's 10 years od in y
freezer.

--
There are those who believe that life here, began out there, far across the
universe, with tribes of humans, who may have been the forefathers of the

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info