Whitepoint settings? (Eye-One Display 2)

Old March 26th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Andy Leese

Default Whitepoint settings? (Eye-One Display 2)

I have recently purchased a GretagMacbeth Eye-One display 2 monitor
callibrator. I am running Windows XP Pro, with a Dell P992 monitor and a
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 graphics card.

I believe for designers it is recomended to use a whitepoint of 5000K.

My Dell P992 allows for whitepoint setting a number of ways.

1. Preset, allows the choice of 5000k, 6500K, 9300K

2. Variable, allows for any number between 5000K and 11000K at intervals of
100

3. Expert, allows the brightness of R,G,B to be altered manually and has
seperate manual contrast settings for R,G,B also. These are displayed as
percentages.

4. sRGB, haven't quite worked this out to be honest.

My *target* whitepoint can be set with my eye-one display software. The
software seems to recommend the use of 5000K and the use of the expert
settings on my monitor to manually alter R, G, B. The monitor profile that
came with my monitor by default is configured as using Native WHitepoint.

If I set the target whitepoint of the software to 5000K or even 6500K then
the Red colour on my expert settings set won't go anywhere near red enough.
If I set the target whitepoint at 9300K it will just.

My question is should I be using Native Whitepoint on the software and
setting my monitor on a preset of 5000K, or setting a software target
whitepoint of 9300K and altering the R,G,B manually, or something in
between? And can anyone tell me the difference in these settings, what
exactly native whitepoint does and please offer any advice?

Kind Regards
Andy Leese

Old March 26th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell

"Andy Leese" wrote in message
[...]

Native Whitepoint means the color temp of the whitest white that your
monitor can produce: RGB(255,255,255). It's best to set the monitor as
close to your desired color temp as possible before calibrating to native
white point..

sRGB, BTW represents a "generic" monitor, 6500K and gamma 2.2. This is fine
for most practical purposes, particularly if your work is destined for the
web.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

D70 settings Roy G Digital Photography 3 August 13th 06 10:37 PM
D2X settings John Phillips Digital SLR Cameras 1 August 20th 05 10:12 AM
Raw Settings Help Please. TAFKAB Digital Photography 0 March 18th 05 08:25 PM
Raw Settings Help Please. [email protected] Digital Photography 0 March 18th 05 07:04 PM
F3 Settings??????? Jay Ryan 35mm Photo Equipment 2 September 6th 04 01:48 AM