Eric Ward and stunning iPhone photos

Old October 15th 14, 03:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Eric Ward and stunning iPhone photos

I linked to this in another thread, but it's worth posting here as well.
Some here thinks that you need a big and expensive DSLR to take amazing
photos, but Eric Ward, an Ohio Schoolteacher, uses only his 8 megapixel
iPhone 5S to take amazing photos.

http://instagram.com/littlecoal

All iPhone photos. I would easily claim that his iPhone photos are better
than all our DSLR-photos in this group. Combined.

--
Sandman[.net]
Old October 15th 14, 06:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Sandman
wrote:

I linked to this in another thread, but it's worth posting here as well.
Some here thinks that you need a big and expensive DSLR to take amazing
photos, but Eric Ward, an Ohio Schoolteacher, uses only his 8 megapixel
iPhone 5S to take amazing photos.

http://instagram.com/littlecoal

All iPhone photos. I would easily claim that his iPhone photos are better
than all our DSLR-photos in this group. Combined.

which goes back to it being the photographer, not the camera.
Old October 15th 14, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:08:26 PM UTC+2, Sandman wrote:
I linked to this in another thread, but it's worth posting here as well.

Some here thinks that you need a big and expensive DSLR to take amazing

photos, but Eric Ward, an Ohio Schoolteacher, uses only his 8 megapixel

iPhone 5S to take amazing photos.

http://instagram.com/littlecoal

All iPhone photos. I would easily claim that his iPhone photos are better

than all our DSLR-photos in this group. Combined.

--

Sandman[.net]

If you do a side by side comparison of a dslr shot reduced to 8 mp and a full size 8 mp iphone pic, it should be obvious iphone produces crappy pics that only look 'good' at lousy resolution (something like 640x480).

Old October 15th 14, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
sobriquet wrote:

I linked to this in another thread, but it's worth posting here as well.

Some here thinks that you need a big and expensive DSLR to take amazing

photos, but Eric Ward, an Ohio Schoolteacher, uses only his 8 megapixel

iPhone 5S to take amazing photos.

http://instagram.com/littlecoal

All iPhone photos. I would easily claim that his iPhone photos are better

than all our DSLR-photos in this group. Combined.

If you do a side by side comparison of a dslr shot reduced to 8 mp and a full
size 8 mp iphone pic, it should be obvious iphone produces crappy pics that
only look 'good' at lousy resolution (something like 640x480).

complete nonsense.

plus, most people don't carry an slr everywhere they go, making the
iphone better by default.
Old October 15th 14, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:59:46 PM UTC+2, nospam wrote:
In article ,

sobriquet wrote:

I linked to this in another thread, but it's worth posting here as well.

Some here thinks that you need a big and expensive DSLR to take amazing

photos, but Eric Ward, an Ohio Schoolteacher, uses only his 8 megapixel

iPhone 5S to take amazing photos.

http://instagram.com/littlecoal

All iPhone photos. I would easily claim that his iPhone photos are better

than all our DSLR-photos in this group. Combined.

If you do a side by side comparison of a dslr shot reduced to 8 mp and a full

size 8 mp iphone pic, it should be obvious iphone produces crappy pics that

only look 'good' at lousy resolution (something like 640x480).

complete nonsense.

plus, most people don't carry an slr everywhere they go, making the

iphone better by default.

Just compare a few pics side by side.
Easy to spot the crappy quality of the iphone pic. Which doesn't detract
from the fact that smartphones are amazing devices. But image quality
is nowhere near the quality a dslr yields.

http://i.imgur.com/dTWuT8W.jpg

(from http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...amera-vs-dslr/ )
Old October 15th 14, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
sobriquet wrote:

If you do a side by side comparison of a dslr shot reduced to 8 mp and a
full size 8 mp iphone pic, it should be obvious iphone produces crappy pics
that only look 'good' at lousy resolution (something like 640x480).

complete nonsense.

plus, most people don't carry an slr everywhere they go, making the
iphone better by default.

Just compare a few pics side by side.

sure, if you pixel peep you can find differences, but nobody actually
does that in the real world.

you're also missing the point. people *have* an iphone or other
smartphone in their pocket pretty much everywhere they go. they do not
have an slr everywhere they go.

having a camera trumps no camera every single time, and although it may
not be technically as good, few people care and it's good enough for
most situations, certainly much, much better than 640x480.

Easy to spot the crappy quality of the iphone pic. Which doesn't detract
from the fact that smartphones are amazing devices. But image quality
is nowhere near the quality a dslr yields.

depends on the situation. a smartphone can take panoramas or high speed
video that an slr can only dream of, plus much more.
Old October 15th 14, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 10:39:17 PM UTC+2, nospam wrote:

sure, if you pixel peep you can find differences, but nobody actually

does that in the real world.

Right. In the real world people post crappy pics at a lousy resolution.
But then it's a bit silly to argue that the iphone takes such nice pics
based on pics that are so small the quality can't really be assessed.

you're also missing the point. people *have* an iphone or other

smartphone in their pocket pretty much everywhere they go. they do not

have an slr everywhere they go.

My point is that the iphone is great as a tool to take pics that
serve as photographic sketches, but if you intend to take a real
picture that stands up to scrutiny when you take a close look, you do
really need a camera with a more substantial sensor.

having a camera trumps no camera every single time, and although it may

not be technically as good, few people care and it's good enough for

most situations, certainly much, much better than 640x480.

Ok, the 640x480 was just a stab at the lousy resolution of the pics
at instagram mentioned at the start of this thread.

Easy to spot the crappy quality of the iphone pic. Which doesn't detract

from the fact that smartphones are amazing devices. But image quality

is nowhere near the quality a dslr yields.

depends on the situation. a smartphone can take panoramas or high speed

video that an slr can only dream of, plus much more.

A smartphone can do nothing a modern dslr can't do, as far as
photographic capability is concerned.
It might offer some extra ability to do some editing in various apps
on the phone, but it usually works far more comfortably on a desktop,
laptop or tablet to edit pics.

Old October 15th 14, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
sobriquet wrote:

Easy to spot the crappy quality of the iphone pic. Which doesn't detract
from the fact that smartphones are amazing devices. But image quality
is nowhere near the quality a dslr yields.

depends on the situation. a smartphone can take panoramas or high speed
video that an slr can only dream of, plus much more.

A smartphone can do nothing a modern dslr can't do, as far as
photographic capability is concerned.

oh yes it can.

It might offer some extra ability to do some editing in various apps
on the phone,

it does that and more.

but it usually works far more comfortably on a desktop,
laptop or tablet to edit pics.

you can edit the images anywhere you want, and tablets have the same
cameras as phones do. they just fit in fewer pockets.

you've obviously never used either.
Old October 15th 14, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Wednesday, October 15, 2014 11:18:19 PM UTC+2, nospam wrote:

oh yes it can.

Ok, 240 fps is better than the 60 frames a second a dsrl can
do (at 720p or 1080p).
But as far as photographic capability is concerned, having the
ability to create a feeling of depth by having background stuff
nicely out of focus by using a shallow depth of field is
something you can't really achieve on an iphone and that seems
like a pretty significant creative limitation.

iphone:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conten...0-32-57-AM.jpg

dslr:
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conten...-Version-2.jpg

Old October 16th 14, 10:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , nospam wrote:

In article , Sandman

Sandman:
I linked to this in another thread, but it's worth posting here as
well. Some here thinks that you need a big and expensive DSLR to
take amazing photos, but Eric Ward, an Ohio Schoolteacher, uses
only his 8 megapixel iPhone 5S to take amazing photos.

http://instagram.com/littlecoal

All iPhone photos. I would easily claim that his iPhone photos are
better than all our DSLR-photos in this group. Combined.

which goes back to it being the photographer, not the camera.

Of course.

--
Sandman[.net]