Shoot out: Smart phone vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Old October 10th 14, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default Shoot out: Smart phone vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Just for the heck of it, here's an article that might make some folks
wonder why bother spending big bucks on a DSLR when a smart
phone will do.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...amera-vs-dslr/

The end of closing line of the article kind of says it all:
~~
[ ... ] remember this photography aphorism: "Amateurs worry about
gear; professionals worry about money; masters worry about light."
~~

==
Later...
Ron C
Old October 10th 14, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo [_3_]

--

The other day I was trying to come up with a term reflecting the quality
of one's photos vs the amount of money they've spent on gear.

I'm sure we all know mediocre photographers with expensive camera and
great photographers who own a $90 point and shoot.
Old October 11th 14, 01:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 10/10/2014 12:00 PM, philo wrote:
[...]

Seems one might draw a similar parallel with photo editing software. ;-)

==
Later...
Ron C
Old October 11th 14, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-10-11 00:13:54 +0000, Ron C said:

[...]

Yup! Just as an Armani suit isn't going to be any better than a Men's
Warehouse two-4-one sale suit.
Regardless of the tools, one needs to learn how to use them to the best effect.

Savageduck

Old October 11th 14, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Ron C wrote:
Just for the heck of it, here's an article that might make some folks
wonder why bother spending big bucks on a DSLR when a smart
phone will do.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...amera-vs-dslr/

The end of closing line of the article kind of says it all:
~~
[ ... ] remember this photography aphorism: "Amateurs worry about
gear; professionals worry about money; masters worry about light."
~~

==
Later...
Ron C
--

Regarding the Hemingway/Adams meeting, here is a supposedly true story
set in New York city.

A young photographer had his first book of pix published,and the
publisher arranged for a publicity party at the Park Avenue residence
of a wealthy dowager. He showed mounted pix and signed book copies.
After dinner, the hostess remarked to him in a loud stage whisper,
"You take marvelous pictures. You must have a good camera." He instantly
replied to her: "You served a marvelous dinner. You must have good pots."

One wonders if the woman got the point.

When I am questioned by well-meaning people, I explain that the 2 most
important factors in my taking good pictures are my eyeballs and my
shutter- button finger.

Mort Linder

---

Old October 11th 14, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Ron C wrote:
[...]

In fact though, I'll bet most of us know very few, if
any, really good photographers who only own a $90 P&S.
I've never met even one!

And while there may indeed be plenty of mediocre folks
with expensive equipment and software, there is little
question that for most people better tools do help them
1) get better pictures, and/or 2) learn more about
photography on their way to becoming more than just
another mediocre photographer.

Expensive tools (hardware or software) are more of a
direct indication of how dedicated a person is to
photography. In time, with experience, that will
eventually equate also to the quality of their work.

And to put it mildly, a lifetime spend with poor tools
won't likely ever result in the development of a really
good photographer. Neither does the first afternoon, or
may be the first year or even decade, with good
equipment make a great photographer.

But almost every craftsman develops a taste for fine
tools.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old October 11th 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

On 10/10/2014 9:06 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2014-10-11 00:13:54 +0000, Ron C said:

[...]

Hmm, not sure where you're going with the Armani vs Men's Warehouse.
Seems the point revolves around buy vs earn respect. As for learning
your tools well, I totally agree there.

[ ...and that includes exploring Lab mode processing space. ;-) ]

==
Later...
Ron C
Old October 11th 14, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/10/2014 9:18 PM, Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
Ron C wrote:
[...]

I know one well, though Her camera is not quite a P&S, it's not even
close to a professional camera. My yo4unger daughter, uses a Nikon D70
with a kit lens. She has an agent selling her photos. Her share is
between $50 & $750 per image. She has no idea what they are selling for,
and doesn't care. She looks at it as found money. Her day job keeps her
very busy. So she has turned down several offers to prepare a one person
show.
I wish I had 10% of her artistic abilities.

And while there may indeed be plenty of mediocre folks
with expensive equipment and software, there is little
question that for most people better tools do help them
1) get better pictures, and/or 2) learn more about
photography on their way to becoming more than just
another mediocre photographer.

Expensive tools (hardware or software) are more of a
direct indication of how dedicated a person is to
photography. In time, with experience, that will
eventually equate also to the quality of their work.

And to put it mildly, a lifetime spend with poor tools
won't likely ever result in the development of a really
good photographer.

See my comment above. Your statement is a valid generalization, but
there are exceptions.

Neither does the first afternoon, or
may be the first year or even decade, with good
equipment make a great photographer.

But almost every craftsman develops a taste for fine
tools.

Yup.

--
PeterN
Old October 11th 14, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Ron C wrote:
On 10/10/2014 12:00 PM, philo wrote:
On 10/10/2014 09:02 AM, Ron C wrote:
Just for the heck of it, here's an article that might make some folks
wonder why bother spending big bucks on a DSLR when a smart
phone will do.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...amera-vs-dslr/

The end of closing line of the article kind of says it all:
~~
[ ... ] remember this photography aphorism: "Amateurs worry about
gear; professionals worry about money; masters worry about light."
~~

I should point out that the above is true, in regard to
what folks "worry" about. But the masters worry about
light because they don't give much thought to tools,
they just go buy the best thing available and don't give
it a second thought.

==
Later...
Ron C
--

[...]

A D70 is nowhere near a $90 P&S, and while it is long of
tooth today, when it came out there were lots of
professional photographers using it. The number today is
of course small, but not because the camera is not of
high enough quality.

And while there may indeed be plenty of mediocre folks
with expensive equipment and software, there is little
question that for most people better tools do help them
1) get better pictures, and/or 2) learn more about
photography on their way to becoming more than just
another mediocre photographer.

Expensive tools (hardware or software) are more of a
direct indication of how dedicated a person is to
photography. In time, with experience, that will
eventually equate also to the quality of their work.

And to put it mildly, a lifetime spend with poor tools
won't likely ever result in the development of a really
good photographer.

See my comment above. Your statement is a valid
generalization, but there are exceptions.

The exceptions, every single one of them, prove the rule!

The "rule" isn't that my generalization is correct, but
that what I am refuting is absolutely incorrect.

Neither does the first afternoon, or
may be the first year or even decade, with good
equipment make a great photographer.

But almost every craftsman develops a taste for fine
tools.

Yup.

Even those who don't aggressively pursue them!

Old October 11th 14, 04:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

Mort wrote:
When I am questioned by well-meaning people, I explain
that the 2 most important factors in my taking good
pictures are my eyeballs and my shutter- button finger.

Neither of which have any value if you use the wrong
tool.