Monitor calibration - Pantone ColorPlus vs. Spyder

Old July 14th 04, 06:33 PM
Viken Karaguesian

Default Monitor calibration - Pantone ColorPlus vs. Spyder

Hi all,

I think I'd like to buy a monitor calibration device. I've been looking at
two Pantone products: the ColorPlus (about $100) and the Spyder (about
$160). Price *is* an issue here and the ColorPlus is obviously my most
affordable option.

Does anyone have any experience with one or both of the devices? The
ColorPlus seems to be a bare-bones way of generating a custom ICC profile
for my monitor. I don't think it's compatible with the OptiCAL and PhotoCAL
software. The Spyer calibration tool is more advanced and obviously has more
options. Is it worth the extra money to get the Spyder? How do the ICC
profiles interact with software? I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 most often. I
assume the ICC profile that's created is installed as the default monitor
profile for Windows.

As for the intended application: I'm a somewhat advanced hobby photographer.
I take pictures mostly on slide film (for my "serious" stuff; "snapshot"
type photography is done on print film), and scan them using a Minolta Scan
Dual II scanner. My scans are mostly meant for screen viewing. I have an
Epson Photo 785EPX printer, which I use to occasionally print pictures. Any
pictures that I'm really proud of get sent to a pro to be enlarged. I've
already calibrated my monitor the best I can by using Adobe Gamma and the
advice on Norman Koren's website.

Any input on these devices or any alternative devices would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Viken Karaguesian

P.S. Thanks nikita and Hecate for your input on my last posts!!

Old July 15th 04, 02:16 AM
Hecate

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:33:39 -0400, "Viken Karaguesian"
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with one or both of the devices? The
ColorPlus seems to be a bare-bones way of generating a custom ICC profile
for my monitor. I don't think it's compatible with the OptiCAL and PhotoCAL
software. The Spyer calibration tool is more advanced and obviously has more
options. Is it worth the extra money to get the Spyder? How do the ICC
profiles interact with software? I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 most often. I
assume the ICC profile that's created is installed as the default monitor
profile for Windows.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the ColorPlus and I'd suggest you take a
look at Gretag MacBeth.

P.S. Thanks nikita and Hecate for your input on my last posts!!

Thanks. Here we go again! ;-)

--

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old July 15th 04, 02:34 AM
Jimmy

I believe both ColorPlus and Spyder use the same hardware sensor, with the
difference being in the software and the included Adobe software. Here is a
comparison of their products.
http://www.colorvision.com/profis/pr...iew.jsp?id=281 You will notice
the ColorPlus has only preset gamma and whitepoint. I use the SpyderPro
having the ColorCal software, so I can't comment on the ColorPlus. The
created profile is normally saved as the default monitor profile in Windows.