Another moderated group idea

Old July 9th 04, 02:35 PM
Don Stauffer

Default Another moderated group idea

But using a killfile requires downloading traffic first, right?

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

In article , Don Stauffer wrote:
Yahoo groups, essentially 'mailing lists', are much easier to set up
than new newsgroups.

Yahoo groups are much more clunky an interface than most newsreaders. And
Yahoo insists on serving commercial messages (happily suppressable to blank
screens with programs such as AdSubtract) every couple of messages.

For a large-traffic group such as this, I don't think Yahoo groups would
represent a very rewarding experience to the user.

Killfiling various posters and topics seems to be the best approach in lieu of
a real moderated or robo-moderated group.

Art

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

webpage-
http://www.usfamily.net/web/stauffer

Old July 10th 04, 12:11 AM
chris French

In message , Don Stauffer
writes
But using a killfile requires downloading traffic first, right?

Not a lot.

AIUI, for my newsreader, basically, it downloads the headers first,
checks whether a post is killed for some reason - then downloads the
bodies of the messages (I use an off-line newsreader, and normally
download groups in full, rather than as headers only.)
--
Chris French

Old July 10th 04, 04:59 AM
Arthur Shapiro

In article , Don Stauffer wrote:
Yahoo groups CAN be subscribed to and read via web, but that is not the
only, nor the normal way.

I agree, but as one who gets a number of Yahoo group mailing lists daily, even
that isn't a bed o' roses. People tend to indiscriminately quote the entirety
of articles when replying (one reason I prefer top-posting if one is too lazy
to snip), meaning the actual new information is scattered amongst possibly
hundreds of lines. As obnoxious as that is with newsgroups, it's far worse
with a mailing list.

You assert that there are newsreaders that can deal with these
multiple-message mailings - interesting. I wasn't aware of that, and I know
the old-fashioned newsreader (News Xpress) I personally use most of the time
can't do it.

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me

Old July 10th 04, 11:17 AM
±

Default What the regs of rec.photo.digital think of Lionel "NetKKKop" Lauer Another moderated group idea

Roger Halstead wrote:

On 8 Jul 2004 11:23:58 -0700, (Henrik2000) wrote:

Hi, i agree that it is sad how this group is messed up by a few off-topic pesters.

This group is little different than most of the 60 some newsgroups I
follow. (I only skim the threads reading what interests me) HOWEVER,
it only takes one response from a poster that says they are leaving
the group, or even one complaint to feed the trolls giving them
encouragement.

Every one of these threads, complaints about them, or some one leaving
a group because of them, is seen as another goal reached.
Every time some one responds to, or about them it will result in many
more posts.

I refuse to respond to this clever troll.

OTOH some of the posts are from infected computers.

Would some antibiotics be in order?

Sooo... The best thing is to quit complaining and just keep kilflling,
or deleting those posts and threads.

Of course, buy now they know whose skin is the thinnest and what
buttons to push. They also know there are those on virtually any
newsgroup who can not resist the temptation to complain.

Barney's tissue-thick skin can be a problem when it comes to fighting
trolls.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

--
http://www.geocities.com/snuhsite

-------
/ \
/ \ /-----\
| (@) | | SnuH |
| (O) | \_ ___/
| / | ||
| \ /_ / //
\ \____/ / /
\ /
\_____,
Old July 14th 04, 11:31 PM
Bill Cleere

Default Lionel Begs for Mercy Again

"Big Red Helmut" wrote in message ...
Bill Cleere wrote:

"Big Red Helmut" wrote in message
Bill Cleere wrote in 2lgecgFc7q7cU1@uni-
berlin.de:

"Big Red Helmut" wrote in message
± wrote in
:

Big Red Helmut wrote:

Curtis Blofeld wrote in
:

Lionel wrote in
4ax.com:

Kibo informs me that Archie Leach stated
that:

****head. [It's almost as bad as those awful Mike
Newton-Ken
Pangborn
****-fests that just kept GOING, and GOING, and GOING, and
GOING......except that neither Deano nor Jason nor Lionel
are
as
kookily entertaining as Kenny Pigbarn. Not by a country
mile.]

Yeah, very true. My apologies guys, but there's not much
point
in
me
wasting the effort on witty flames about Deano et al,
because
they
just
go straight over their empty heads.
Mind you, a couple of AUKers have told me that they've
actually unkillfiled Deano & Doapy so they can watch their
reaction to
the
kicking that they're taking, so it's not all bad.
Anyway, hopefully it'll all be over soon. If he & his gang
just
stay
the
**** out of my newsgroups,
^^^

Beg us some more.

Goober "owns" a newsgroup!??!?!

Isn't that funny?

Me must be very rich...

Whoa...

I'll be perfectly happy to just leave the
little coward alone to claim 'spank', or whatever it is
that
floats
his
tiny boat.

Please keep your lames out of alt.tasteless, you gooey mass
of
rancid
goat semen.

He's ruined my whole "snuh" experience

NOT THAT!

Yeah...I'm much better at ruining it for myself

God damn you, get your damn hands off *my* snuh experience!

Iem sorry
I just broke usenet again...

It's not all your fault. Usenet checked out of the hospital
against physician advice.

I never touched that post your honor...

The witness will stop dithering and make up his mind.
What's your story? "It was like that when I got there"
or "It always does that."

Usenet is like a battered spouse who keeps going back
for more instead of pressing charges.

Three strikes and you're netKKKoped

--

Meesa suresa liksa Colt-45 40's