EOS 10D and 1D Mark II

Old July 10th 04, 04:45 PM
Randall Ainsworth

Default EOS 10D and 1D Mark II

In article , Georgette
Preddy wrote:

The 10D's AF system is extrememly poor. It back focuses 90% of the
time in single shot mode, and misses significantly 95-100% of the time
in servo moe.

It's your thought processes that are extremely poor. My 10D focuses
right on 100% of the time, but then I'm a highly trained (former)
professional.

Old July 10th 04, 05:28 PM
marlin

I think Preddy is confusing the lack on in camera sharpening for a lack of
AF ability.
Richard

Old July 11th 04, 01:03 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Georgette
Preddy wrote:

No, its the AF system. The 10D's AF system is not usable for action
photos, and is extrememly frustrating at best for stills, even on a
tripod it routinely misses.

Sure, George. I've used mine to photograph major league baseball with
no focus problems and I don't even have L or IS glass. And on a
tripod, it will put your crappy Sigma to shame (not that it would take
much effort).

Old July 11th 04, 04:53 AM
Crownfield

Georgette Preddy wrote:

wrote in message . ..
In message ,
(Georgette Preddy) wrote:

The 10D's AF system is extrememly poor. It back focuses 90% of the
time in single shot mode, and misses significantly 95-100% of the time
in servo moe.

Wrong; *some* early-run 10Ds (before June '03) backfocus 100% of the
time, in all AF modes. The wider the lens, the more pronounced the
effect. Most 10Ds do not back or front-focus by any significant amount.

Most 10Ds don't produce a sharp enough image to tell one way or the
other, and all have the same low budget AF system. Read about how
terribly frustrated the entire 10D community is here...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/108868

you get what you pay for."

Note: Sigma's AF system is simply superlative, always perfect even
with a dramatically sharper sensor, and at less than half the cost
blurry 10D, and with 230% more full color MPs.

actually less mps.
it just lacks the spatial resolution of the better bayer cameras.

3mp.

too tiny to be of interest.
Old July 11th 04, 07:43 PM
marlin

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
m...
But far worse, Canon's noise level is enormous compared to National
Semiconductor's Pro 10M sensor...
http://www.pbase.com/image/31155134/original

I'll give you that, but now look what happens when you throw color into the
mix
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/page13.asp (scroll to the bottom).
Richard

Old July 11th 04, 07:44 PM
marlin

And don't forget the great low light picture quality of the sigma
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd10/page14.asp
Thanks for reminding about dpreviews test george.
Richard
Crownfield wrote in message

Georgette Preddy wrote:
Note: Sigma's AF system is simply superlative, always perfect even
with a dramatically sharper sensor, and at less than half the cost
blurry 10D, and with 230% more full color MPs.

actually less mps.
it just lacks the spatial resolution of the better bayer cameras.

3mp.

too tiny to be of interest.

The 10D only has 1.5 MPs left after color interpolation, the $8000 1Ds
has only 2.7MPs full color. Neither is an option for pro work
(defined as 35mm film quality +).