EOS 10D and 1D Mark II

Old July 7th 04, 01:20 PM
Joshua Beall

Default EOS 10D and 1D Mark II

"marlin" wrote in message
Word has it the 10D replacement will be out in
September. Forth, it seems that a lot of pros use the 10D, so it can't be
all that bad. IMHO, you should wait for the new version that will be

coming
out. That's what I'm doing while I use my G5.

Now this is interesting; can you point me somewhere that I can read about
this? I had heard nothing about a possible replacement coming out in
September. Hmm, interesting. Maybe I should just stick with my Optio 550
for another few months.

Old July 7th 04, 04:14 PM
Mark B.

"Joshua Beall" wrote in message
"marlin" wrote in message
Word has it the 10D replacement will be out in
September. Forth, it seems that a lot of pros use the 10D, so it can't

be
all that bad. IMHO, you should wait for the new version that will be

coming
out. That's what I'm doing while I use my G5.

Now this is interesting; can you point me somewhere that I can read about
this? I had heard nothing about a possible replacement coming out in
September. Hmm, interesting. Maybe I should just stick with my Optio 550
for another few months.

There's nothing official, just a lot of speculation & rumor. The 10D will
have been out for 18 months by then, there's a fair chance for a
replacement.

Mark

Old July 7th 04, 05:02 PM
Mark Spacey

Joshua Beall wrote:

Hi All,

I have been thinking about spending some money on a decent Canon digital
SLR, and I have really fallen for the 1D Mark II. The pricetag is just a
little hard for me to swallow, especially since I am only an amateur; thus I
would be shooting for fun, rather than for profit.

I have handled the 10D and am quite happy with it, although I do wish that
it had a faster drive mode. I enjoy nature photography, and if I had a
faster drive mode, I can think of countless pictures that might have been
better (the latest one being a hummingbird that was zipping along). And
just about every shot I have taken would have benefited from the additional
resolution provided by the 1D Mark II as well.

So what I am wondering is, does anyone feel like the extra cost of the 1D
Mark II is really justifiable for an amateur like myself? The more I think
about it, the more it seems like I should perhaps just start off with the
10D, rather than jump straight to a 4.5k digital SLR. This will be the
first digital SLR I have actually owned; my current digital camera is a
"mere mortal" point-and-shoot model (Pentax Optio 550). But on the other
hand, I do not want to find myself feeling like I need to upgrade in a year,
and have sunk $1200 in a camera that will now serve only as a backup, or
perhaps to lend to trusted friends.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
-Josh

£4500 new
second hand £2250
thats 2 d10s and a 17-40 l lens in depreciation
WOW
Old July 7th 04, 05:34 PM
Jimmy Smith

"Mark B." wrote in message

"marlin" wrote in message
First, I want to say check the reviews at www.dpreview.com,
www.steves-digicams.com, and www.dcresource.com. Second, you might want

also ask this question at the forums on www.dpreview.com. Third, you may
want to wait a bit. Word has it the 10D replacement will be out in
September. Forth, it seems that a lot of pros use the 10D, so it can't

be
all that bad. IMHO, you should wait for the new version that will be

coming
out. That's what I'm doing while I use my G5.
Richard

Keep in mind that any replacement may not be available for a month or two
after the announcement. If you're not in a hurry it might be worth

waiting
to see what it is.

The current model 10D is so good why wait for the first run of a
replacement. The first run seems to have the bugs. If you were going to
wait for the replacement, you should really wait until six to eight months
AFTER it has been released so the bugs are addressed. The current run 10D
is about as bugless as you are going to get.

Jimmy

Mark

Old July 7th 04, 05:44 PM
Joshua Beall

"Jimmy Smith" wrote in message
.. .
The current model 10D is so good why wait for the first run of a
replacement. The first run seems to have the bugs. If you were going to
wait for the replacement, you should really wait until six to eight months
AFTER it has been released so the bugs are addressed. The current run 10D
is about as bugless as you are going to get.

By bugs, do you mean physical problems with the body? I thought most of the
"bugs" that got worked out could be fixed with firmware upgrades in these
sorts of cameras. Not so?

Old July 7th 04, 06:21 PM
this old user

"Joshua Beall" wrote in message
Hi All,

I have been thinking about spending some money on a decent Canon digital
SLR, and I have really fallen for the 1D Mark II. The pricetag is just a
little hard for me to swallow, especially since I am only an amateur; thus

would be shooting for fun, rather than for profit.

Get the older 1D used and spend the rest on glass. The 10D has a great
sensor but it's never going to perform like a 1D. The AF and drive are
amazing.

Old July 7th 04, 07:21 PM
skymuffins

it had a faster drive mode. I enjoy nature photography, and if I had a
faster drive mode, I can think of countless pictures that might have

been
better (the latest one being a hummingbird that was zipping along). And
just about every shot I have taken would have benefited from the

additional
resolution provided by the 1D Mark II as well.

SNIP

Have you thought about lenses, Joshua? I think you would be smarter to
get the 10D and more or better lenses than to sink your wad into the
body. These things change and upgrade so often and so fast that it might
be better to bide your time and save your money until later, when you
can afford it.

Gary Eickmeier

true.. and if you like nature photography, you will need long glass... which
ain't cheap!

- Harrison

Old July 10th 04, 05:13 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Georgette
Preddy wrote:

The 10D's AF system is very poor, it shoots away in AF servo mode but
you'll have a virtual 100% throw away rate due to AF missing. Really
bad.

Take your lies and sell 'em to Michael Moore...