Yet another 300d vs D70 post!

Old July 6th 04, 07:09 PM
leo

Default Yet another 300d vs D70 post!

"Michael Meissner" wrote in message

I've heard a lot of complaints about Canon's 70-300 IS lens (softness,

slow
focusing, etc.). The 28-135 IS lens on the other hand, seems to get a lot

of
favorable press.

Note, Nikon has a couple of VR lenses that give you image stabalization

also (I
think it is the 24-110, 70-200, and the 70-400, though the 70-400 also

gets
poor reviews). It might be as the pros move from their Nikon gear to the

Canon
1D-mark2, that maybe some good quality Nikon glass will be going on the

market.

--
Michael Meissner
email:

The Canon 75-300 IS is not the same class as Nikkor 80-400 IS. You should
compare it to Canon 100-400IS instead. Nevertheless, considering the price
of the 75-300IS, it's still a good buy for many people.

Old July 6th 04, 11:42 PM
DR

Does the DRebel come with a 75-300 IS ?

If you factor in a 75-300 IS the Canon is the winner all around.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Rich Powell" wrote in message
I am in the market for a DSLR. I currently have a Canon Pro1 which is

fine
for a prosumer type camera, but I would like a DSLR for a variety of

reasons
(mostly low light performance and shooting my kids sporting events). I

have
spent a lot of times browsing the 300D vs D70 posts at places like

dpreview
and it always comes down to the Canon fans like the 300D and the Nikon

fans
like the D70. Both seem like good cameras with the Canon seeming to get

slight edge in image quality and the D70 in features. One common theme

is
you are not buying a camera body, but rather investing into lenses,

which
is
where Canon seems to have the edge in variety and price. I don't see

myself
going as high as an L series lense (I do have a wife!), so I'd imagine

my
lense investment would be the kit lense, a fixed lense for portraits,

and
75-300 telephoto. If those would fit my needs than perhaps Canon's edge

in
lenses is not so big. From what I can tell, it appears as if the 300d

will
be replace shortly, so I'd hate to buy a 300d and have a new model come

out
in a month of two. Of course, you can always play that game but I'd

rather
buy early in the lifetime of a product, not at the end.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old July 7th 04, 02:03 AM
Jeff Durham

You are correct. You can buy the drebel with or without the kit lens. The
price difference is up to $100 depending upon the reseller. The kit lens
(18-55mm) seems to be a decent lens for that amount of money and at least
for now, you cannot buy it separately. With that, I decided to purchase my
drebel with the kit lens. I have since bought a 55-200mm and a 75-300mm.
The 55-200mm works well as a good general purpose lens for me when I am
outdoors and it is light enough to hold without a tripod. The 75-300mm is
heavier and more difficult to hold in poor lighting conditions. However,
when I bought that lens, my plan was to always use a tripod with it since it
was more special purpose for me. I mostly use the 55-200mm and somewhat
less, the 18-55mm.

Jeff

"DR" writes:

Does the DRebel come with a 75-300 IS ?

No, you have to buy it separately. I believe the kit lens that you can

get
with the drebel is an 18-55 lens that gives you equivalent to a 29-88mm

lens
once you take the 1.6 crop factor into account.

--
Michael Meissner
email:

Old July 7th 04, 06:58 PM
skymuffins

Where can you find this much ballyhooed "firmware hack" for the 300d?!?
Enquiring minds want to know

- Harrison

"davies" wrote in message
I'd get the 300d, and then put te hacked firmware on it to make it into a
10d saving you £500. The 10D is a better camera then the d70.

Old July 7th 04, 08:41 PM
Charles Schuler

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html

Old July 7th 04, 10:35 PM
skymuffins

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"skymuffins" wrote in message
Where can you find this much ballyhooed "firmware hack" for the 300d?!?
Enquiring minds want to know

- Harrison

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html

Thanks a bunch!

- Harrison

Old July 14th 04, 05:37 PM
Arte Phacting

1 - try doing a Google on it

2 - it is mentioned in this NG somewhere

3 - be advised you will invalidate your product warranty (or so I
understand)

4 - sorry can't #be of more help than that

Artie