20D vs D200

Old January 5th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default 20D vs D200

Yep this is a joke!!!!
I guess I am a idiot for wanting the latest product. I guess I will keep
what I have. Sounds like a lot of you guys only buy what is absolutely
necessary and keep it forever.

Bob

Bill Moss" wrote in message
om...

"Bob" wrote in message
I now have a D70. Both the canon 20D and Nikon D200 are in the price I
want to spend. I have no special requirements just general photography.
Which would be my best bet?

Bob

You're joking, right?

Old January 5th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Bob wrote:
I now have a D70. Both the canon 20D and Nikon D200 are in the price
I want to spend. I have no special requirements just general

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD200/

citation from summary:

There's very little to fault about the Nikon D200. It's very robust, has
great ergonomics and a wide array of features, while handling superbly
and delivering excellent image quality. In use it performed very well
and we struggled to find any downsides to list at the end of the
verdict.

The D200 really is a world apart from its predecessor the D100 and is
measurably superior to Canon's EOS-20D. Of course to be fair, the 20D is
now showing it's age, and following Canon's track record we'd be very
surprised if a successor isn't announced for the PMA show at the end of
February.

The more recent Canon 5D is a tougher rival though, boasting higher
resolution, lower noise levels at high sensitivities and of course the
expensive full frame sensor. In the D200's favour, it's cheaper, handles
quicker, has greater features and feels more robust too. Ultimately
though, we believe the 5D is a unique proposition which will be bought
by people who really want its full frame sensor and can justify the
price difference. The D200's true competitor from Canon is surely the
yet-to-be announced 20D successor - and without anything other than
speculation on that front, we'll have to move on.

Old January 5th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"bmoag" writes:

If you think the camera is the answer to your photographic problems I can
also solve your real estate problems by selling you the tiltle to several
large bridges in well known cities . . .

One of my photographic problems is flash exposures in non-studio
scenarios. Upgrading my Fuji S2 to a D200 (and my SB-80 to an SB-800)
would help a *lot* with that.

It wouldn't, of course, help with the fact that most of my pictures
are boring. No camera can help with that!
Old January 5th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On do, 05 jan 2006 17:22:02 GMT, Bob wrote in message
:

Yep this is a joke!!!!
I guess I am a idiot for wanting the latest product. I guess I
will keep what I have. Sounds like a lot of you guys only buy
what is absolutely necessary and keep it forever.

What is it with the D70 that doesn't meet your needs/wishes?

Another reason not to spent the money on a new camera is to buy
more/better lenses.

--
groeten, Remco

homepage: http://nmig.musiceert.nl
Mail : remco at isgitarist dot nl
Old January 5th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"bmoag" writes:

If you think the camera is the answer to your photographic problems
I can also solve your real estate problems by selling you the
tiltle
to several large bridges in well known cities . . .

One of my photographic problems is flash exposures in non-studio
scenarios. Upgrading my Fuji S2 to a D200 (and my SB-80 to an
SB-800)
would help a *lot* with that.

It wouldn't, of course, help with the fact that most of my pictures
are boring. No camera can help with that!

You're right, of course.

It's the software. You need the latest X.09.001.005 version of
everything, and then...

Add _Giggles and Gasps_, the latest from TwinkleInMyEye, Inc:

One quick click and every image you publish will have subliminal
content that somehow, subtly, for no apparent reason, and in spite of
expectations to the contrary, causes fits of awe, envy, and/or
hilarity, depending on which slider you slid to what position on the
scale.

(Don't tell anyone about this. We wouldn't want it getting around that
it's not technical perfection, but resonant aspects of content that
strike chords in viewers.) (Or do we?)

--
Frank ess
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine:

Old January 5th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Remco Raaphorst wrote:
On do, 05 jan 2006 17:22:02 GMT, Bob wrote in message
:

Yep this is a joke!!!!
I guess I am a idiot for wanting the latest product. I guess I
will keep what I have. Sounds like a lot of you guys only buy
what is absolutely necessary and keep it forever.

That's just plain wrong. Well, maybe not entirely; it depends partly
on what your definition of "a lot" is.

Personally, for my part, my failing is that I covet every new piece of
photo machinery the manufacturers stick in a shiny box and parade
before my eyes. Then, even though I'm as fickle as they come and have
little to no use for them, each bit of stuff that comes through the
door acquires some kind of family tie to the stuff already here, and I
can't bear to separate them.

So, I guess the truth is: you're right, and I do "keep it forever";
the problem is, "what is absolutely necessary" turns out to be One Of
Each, so there you go. You're right and you're right and you're wrong.

Excuse me, please: I must go referee a squabble between a Canon F1n
and a Coolpix 995. Each claims to have been the camera that gave me
the most joy during its period of preference.

What is it with the D70 that doesn't meet your needs/wishes?

Another reason not to spent the money on a new camera is to buy
more/better lenses.

I think my problem is something to do with Supply-Side economics, or
what ever it is that makes me think spending money is good for
everyone.

--
Frank ess

Forecasting is difficult.
Particularly about the Future.
—Deepak Gupta

Old January 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Bob" wrote in message
Yep this is a joke!!!!
I guess I am a idiot for wanting the latest product. I guess I will keep
what I have. Sounds like a lot of you guys only buy what is absolutely
necessary and keep it forever.

The 20D is an excellent camera (I have one) and the D200 looks very good.
If you have Nikon glass, then the choice should be easy.

Some folks here tire of the endless brand wars and latest feature manias.

Old January 5th 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

So lets say you don't have ANY Nikon linses NOR Canon lenses.
Which one of these two cameras would you chose starting from scratch?
Old January 5th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Stan Birch" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 "Skip M" wrote:
Wait until the 20D's successor comes out in a month or so.

This is the first I've heard of a successor to the 20D; but
considering the slings and arrows associated with 20D's . . .

I shouldn't have stated it so unequivocally, but Canon's cycle with it's
consumer cameras has been in the neighborhood of 18 months, which, in the
case of the 20D, would be Feb. And there have been rumors of it for a while
now, especially since the intro of the Nikon D200. Which may put such
speculation in the realm of wishful thinking...
And, after those introductory bugs were worked out, the 20D is a fine
camera.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old January 6th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Meoker wrote:
So lets say you don't have ANY Nikon linses NOR Canon lenses.
Which one of these two cameras would you chose starting from scratch?

That's easy. Either one.

Mojo
--
Morris Jones