20D Soft Focus

Old June 26th 05, 02:44 AM
Some Computer

Default 20D Soft Focus

Is there an easy way to determine if all my "soft focus" issues are a result
of the low quality kit lens? I plan to go to a camera store and see if they
will let me shoot some test shots with Sigma or Tamron lenses. I doubt they
will let me go outside with the lens, so what type of shots should I try to
take in the store to test for sharpness. This is the best test I can come up
with, but curious on how to test it.

Old June 26th 05, 02:53 AM
Scott W

Some Computer wrote:
Is there an easy way to determine if all my "soft focus" issues are a result
of the low quality kit lens? I plan to go to a camera store and see if they
will let me shoot some test shots with Sigma or Tamron lenses. I doubt they
will let me go outside with the lens, so what type of shots should I try to
take in the store to test for sharpness. This is the best test I can come up
with, but curious on how to test it.

Try to use either the Canon 50mm 1.8 or the Canon 50mm 1.4, run them at
f8 and you should get a great looking photo.

The kit lens will give fairly good photos, if you use it at f8 or there
abouts and if you are willing to do some sharpening, shooting raw is
best.

Here is a link that looks at the photos that I shot with the kit lens
and the 50mm 1.8 lens.

http://www.pbase.com/konascott/20tests

I hope this helps.

Scott

Old June 26th 05, 05:45 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article lMnve.2968$B82.712@trnddc04, Some Computer
wrote:

Is there an easy way to determine if all my "soft focus" issues are a result
of the low quality kit lens? I plan to go to a camera store and see if they
will let me shoot some test shots with Sigma or Tamron lenses. I doubt they
will let me go outside with the lens, so what type of shots should I try to
take in the store to test for sharpness. This is the best test I can come up
with, but curious on how to test it.

The only thing sticking a Sigma lens on there is going to do is show
you why you shouldn't buy one.
Old June 26th 05, 11:21 AM
frederick

wrote:

Is there an easy way to determine if all my "soft focus" issues are a result
of the low quality kit lens? I plan to go to a camera store and see if they
will let me shoot some test shots with Sigma or Tamron lenses. I doubt they
will let me go outside with the lens, so what type of shots should I try to
take in the store to test for sharpness. This is the best test I can come up
with, but curious on how to test it.

The only thing sticking a Sigma lens on there is going to do is show
you why you shouldn't buy one.

The only 18-55 lens I have ever tried (on a 350d) was soft, had a nasty
cheap feel to it, plastic mount, the front element rotated, and it had a
teensy unusable focus ring.
The only Sigma lens that I own beats the Canon 18-55 on all counts.

Old June 26th 05, 02:50 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article 1119781228.69154@ftpsrv1, frederick
wrote:

The only 18-55 lens I have ever tried (on a 350d) was soft, had a nasty
cheap feel to it, plastic mount, the front element rotated, and it had a
teensy unusable focus ring.
The only Sigma lens that I own beats the Canon 18-55 on all counts.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Old June 26th 05, 09:01 PM
Dirty Harry

wrote:

The only 18-55 lens I have ever tried (on a 350d) was soft, had a nasty
cheap feel to it, plastic mount, the front element rotated, and it had a
teensy unusable focus ring.
The only Sigma lens that I own beats the Canon 18-55 on all counts.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

Yes, nothing short of L can possibly provide anything but crap....*rolls
eyes*

Old June 26th 05, 09:49 PM
Charles Schuler

Here is a link that looks at the photos that I shot with the kit lens
and the 50mm 1.8 lens.

http://www.pbase.com/konascott/20tests

Kit lens at f/8 looks pretty darned good.

Old June 27th 05, 12:04 AM
Tony Polson

"Charles Schuler" wrote:

Here is a link that looks at the photos that I shot with the kit lens
and the 50mm 1.8 lens.

http://www.pbase.com/konascott/20tests

Kit lens at f/8 looks pretty darned good.

Most lenses look pretty darned good at f/8, even cheap junk lenses.

It takes an exceptional lens to look good wide open.

Old June 27th 05, 12:12 AM
frederick

wrote:

The only 18-55 lens I have ever tried (on a 350d) was soft, had a nasty
cheap feel to it, plastic mount, the front element rotated, and it had a
teensy unusable focus ring.
The only Sigma lens that I own beats the Canon 18-55 on all counts.

One man's ceiling is another man's floor.

And I am rolling on the floor laughing (at you).
Old June 27th 05, 12:30 AM
Scott W

Tony Polson wrote:
"Charles Schuler" wrote:

Here is a link that looks at the photos that I shot with the kit lens
and the 50mm 1.8 lens.

http://www.pbase.com/konascott/20tests

Kit lens at f/8 looks pretty darned good.

Most lenses look pretty darned good at f/8, even cheap junk lenses.

It takes an exceptional lens to look good wide open.

True, one would always want a lens that can be run fast and still give
sharp photos, however there is a feeling out there that the kit lens
can take a good photos, this is of course simply not true.

Since the OP said he was having problem with the kit it seemed like it
would be helpful to show what he should be able to get from it.

Others here seem to want to just throw stone at it, which does little
to help the OP.

If the Kit lens a good lens, no. Will all photos from the kit lens
look very soft, again no.

The 50mm 1.8 is much sharper then the kit and even works well to about
f 2.4 or there abouts.

Scott