20D remote release - what do I need?

Old October 29th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Derek Fountain

Default 20D remote release - what do I need?

I want to buy a remote shutter release for my 20D, preferably a wireless
one of some sort. Googling around left me somewhat bewildered - there's
loads of options on release cables, and most websites seem to give
partial or conflicting information about camera compatibility, etc.

Can someone spell it out for me, preferably with Canon part numbers?
What's the best of breed cable release device, and what's the best
non-cable release device?

--
a href="http://www.derekfountain.org/"Derek Fountain/a on the web at
http://www.derekfountain.org/
Old October 29th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bill

"Derek Fountain" wrote in message
I want to buy a remote shutter release for my 20D, preferably a
wireless
one of some sort. Googling around left me somewhat bewildered -
there's
loads of options on release cables, and most websites seem to give
partial or conflicting information about camera compatibility, etc.

Can someone spell it out for me, preferably with Canon part numbers?

Is there something wrong with your owners manual? It lists all three
of the part numbers and descriptions for all options available from
Canon.

The RS-80N3 from Canon is a basic wired remote.
The TC-80N3 from Canon is a wired timer remote.
The LC-4/5 from Canon is a wireless system for remote.

Old October 29th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Gartshore

Derek Fountain wrote:

Can someone spell it out for me, preferably with Canon part numbers?
What's the best of breed cable release device, and what's the best
non-cable release device?

Hi Derek,

Just 'wasted' an hour of my life looking through your travel shots..
I'll be in Perth some time next year and the trip up to Pilbara looks
interesting if we have time..

Anyway, I don't have a wireless remote (yet) but do have the 350D
version of this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Meters-Remot...QQcmdZViewItem

Works fine for prerelease settings, mirror lockup shots, long exposures
( it's lockable) and for normal shots..

Arrived from Hong Kong in about seven days..

Best of breed? Probably not but it does what I want it to..

I assume from your site and the address that you're somewhere around
Winchester ?

T.
Old October 29th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gambo

I have the same inexpensive wired remote and then added male and female
headphone plugs in the middle of the cable making it extendable to as
long as I need based on available mini headphone extension cables works
well. Works well. If you are interested, lemme know. I think I still
have the plans I googled.

Old October 29th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Derek Fountain

Not cheap are they?

The RS-80N3 from Canon is a basic wired remote.

£40 from both CameraKing and Canon UK.

The TC-80N3 from Canon is a wired timer remote.

£90 from CameraKing. Only £53 from Canon UK.

The LC-4/5 from Canon is a wireless system for remote.

The LC-5 is £329 from CameraKing. £349 from Canon UK. I can't find an LC-4.

CameraKing have a Canon RC-1 for only £20, an RC-5 for £18, and a wired
RS60-E3 for £25, but although the 350D is listed as compatible with
those, the 20D isn't. I wonder if those would work?

There's also an RA-N3 which claims to be a "Remote switch adapter that
allows the use of T3 socket accessories on the EOS 1D series and
D30/D60/10D/20D" which appears to open other possibilites I don't
understand.

On top of this, Tony's response shows an eBay item which appears to do
the same (wired) job for £7.

It's hard to know quite which to choose.

Old October 29th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Derek Fountain

Just 'wasted' an hour of my life looking through your travel shots..
I'll be in Perth some time next year and the trip up to Pilbara looks
interesting if we have time..

Wow, thanks for the hits. ) Perth is home, and therefore a lovely
place. You'd need a lot of time for a Pilbara trip - it's a bloody long way!

Anyway, I don't have a wireless remote (yet) but do have the 350D
version of this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Meters-Remot...QQcmdZViewItem

OK, thanks for the information. I'm veering towards the TC80N3, which is
pricey but appears to open up possibilities for time lapse photography
and accurate long exposures for astrophotography.

I assume from your site and the address that you're somewhere around
Winchester ?

Yep, although my contract finishes at Xmas, so where we'll end up next
year I have no idea. )

Old November 8th 06, 09:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Petri Lopia

On 2006-10-29, Derek Fountain wrote:
I want to buy a remote shutter release for my 20D, preferably a wireless
one of some sort. Googling around left me somewhat bewildered - there's
loads of options on release cables, and most websites seem to give
partial or conflicting information about camera compatibility, etc.

Talking about remote shutters... it's really easy to made one at yourself.
I have done couple of ones... one with motion detection and one with just
normal "button" kind of shutter but I used it with birds.
It's connected to branch etc. and when bird lands there my camera takes
photos automatically... =) I haven't tried that in real life yet but it
works great on my tests =)

--
Petri Lopia :: lid
Lightnings, StormChasing, Moon, Natu