Dallmeyer 1/4 plate roll-film back (help a noob!)

Old May 25th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart

Default Dallmeyer 1/4 plate roll-film back (help a noob!)

"Mary Pegg" wrote in message
Got grandpa's old SLR here, intend to use it this weekend.

It's a quarter-plate camera with a 120 roll-film back,
and I'm hoping for some help. Last time I used it was
about 20 years ago, and I developed the roll myself.

snip
The 120 roll-film back takes 6x9 negs.

So, questions: am I right to assume that I roll the film so
that the exposed side is on the inside? Given the mechanism
I could do it either way. This camera is obviously intended
for people that know what they're doing! (Back in the 30s
or whatever - can anyone give me rough date based on this
description?)

There's a little red window onto the film back: will this give
the right number at the right time? I assume I'll get 8 shots
out of a standard 120 roll.

From a 120 size roll of Kodak Portra 160: There are seven rows of numbers.
The top two rows run from 1 to 16. The middle two rows are 1 to 12, and the
bottom three rows are 1 to 8.
As for loading the film, the printed side of the roll paper goes toward the
red window.

Old May 26th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"Mary Pegg" wrote:

So, questions: am I right to assume that I roll the film so
that the exposed side is on the inside?

In case this hasn't been answered explicitly yet...

The film + paper backing is rolled onto the takeup spool so that the
_writing_ on the paper backing is on the outside as the film + paper rolls
onto the takeup spool.

This puts the film "on the inside".

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old May 27th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Mary Pegg

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:

light at the end of the roll. To get the film on the wrong side on the
take-up spool implies winding that spool the "wrong way"...which cameras
in my experience will not allow you to do.

This one does!

Thanks for all the replies. Now to see how the films have come out.

--
"Checking identity papers is a complete waste of time. If anyone can
be counted on to have valid papers, it will be the terrorists".