\beware cost of Dye Sublimation

Old December 23rd 04, 01:50 PM
nesredep egrob

Default \beware cost of Dye Sublimation

OK so I have only been burnt by Canon CP 400 - who want pictures to
last 100 years or more. Is that the statement to encourage the use of
a new very expensive process.

The printer is not too costly but the price of the consumeables are
sky high - how do you like $ 42 Australian for just 36 postcards -
alright I printed my own christmas cards just to try it out. The
results are not too bad but I assure you that the printer will be put
on the back shelf untill the price comes down. I shall be very careful
before I buy anything Canon again

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
Old December 23rd 04, 03:36 PM
SamSez

"nesredep egrob" Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40 wrote in message
OK so I have only been burnt by Canon CP 400 - who want pictures to
last 100 years or more. Is that the statement to encourage the use of
a new very expensive process.

The printer is not too costly but the price of the consumeables are
sky high - how do you like $ 42 Australian for just 36 postcards -
alright I printed my own christmas cards just to try it out. The
results are not too bad but I assure you that the printer will be put
on the back shelf untill the price comes down. I shall be very careful
before I buy anything Canon again

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Burnt by Canon? Did they hide the price of the ribbon/paper kit from you? Or
maybe they lied to you about the price of the kit? Or maybe you can't divide
the kit price by 36 to get the per-print price?

Perhaps you should consider being very careful before you buy anything
[period]...

Old December 23rd 04, 05:45 PM
Matt Ion

nesredep egrob wrote:

OK so I have only been burnt by Canon CP 400 - who want pictures to
last 100 years or more. Is that the statement to encourage the use of
a new very expensive process.

Hmmm, dye-sub is far from a "new" process... the digital-arts school I
used to work at was printing 8.5x11 photolab-quality student artwork on
a dye-sub printer nearly 10 years ago, when inkjets weren't even doing
color yet.

The printer is not too costly but the price of the consumeables are
sky high - how do you like $ 42 Australian for just 36 postcards -

And you didn't think to look at the price of consumables BEFORE buying
the printer? How is this Canon's fault?

alright I printed my own christmas cards just to try it out. The
results are not too bad but I assure you that the printer will be put
on the back shelf untill the price comes down.

I doubt that will happen anytime soon - as noted, dye-sub has been
around quite a while and the prices have already dropped significantly
in the last 10 years, probably already about as low as they'll be for now.

I shall be very careful before I buy anything Canon again

I'd be careful before buying anything, if I were you, since you seem
incapable of thinking more than about 5 minutes into the future. I bet
you'd buy a car and then blame that specific manufacturer for the cost
of gas and oil.

Just FYI, HP, Kodak, and others also make dye-sub photo printers, and
their consumables costs are not much different than Canon's. Better be
careful before buying from them too. Oh, and stay away from inkjets
altogether... their ink cartridges are so expensive, sometimes it's
actually cheaper to replace the printer than to replace the ink.

Old December 23rd 04, 09:00 PM
Ryadia

"nesredep egrob" Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40 wrote in message
OK so I have only been burnt by Canon CP 400 - who want pictures to
last 100 years or more. Is that the statement to encourage the use of
a new very expensive process.

The printer is not too costly but the price of the consumeables are
sky high - how do you like $ 42 Australian for just 36 postcards -
alright I printed my own christmas cards just to try it out. The
results are not too bad but I assure you that the printer will be put
on the back shelf untill the price comes down. I shall be very careful
before I buy anything Canon again

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Interesting stuff - dye sub. Not in any way shape or form able to handle
even a drop of water on the surface but quite capable of lasting as long as
a conventional chemical print. Currently the cheapest for home printing is
the price fixed Epson PictureMate printer which sells for about the cost of
a small dye-sub printer. 39¢ per print. Competitive with mini-labs in price
but not in lifespan. The Canon card printer is a speciality item.

Incidentally... You position puts you about 300 Klm west of shanghai
China. What are you doing buying in Aussie bucks when you could be saving
big yen by buying locally?

Doug

Old December 23rd 04, 09:01 PM
Steve Wolfe

Interesting stuff - dye sub. Not in any way shape or form able to handle
even a drop of water on the surface

That's why a good number of dye-subs lay down an overcoat after the dye,
and at least some of those overcoats are pretty darn good. I've heard
reports of people accidentally dipping prints in a cup of hot cofee with no
ill effects.

steve

Old December 23rd 04, 09:11 PM
Rudy Benner

"Ryadia" wrote in message

[...]

That is minus 31 not plus. He is north of Perth Australia.

Old December 23rd 04, 09:16 PM
MarkH

"Ryadia" wrote in
:

"nesredep egrob" Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40 wrote in message
B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Incidentally... You position puts you about 300 Klm west of shanghai
China. What are you doing buying in Aussie bucks when you could be
saving big yen by buying locally?

Assuming that he means Latitude -31°48'21" and Longitude 115°47'40" then he
is in Perth, Australia.

Could it be that you assumed the minus sign was a dash and never considered
you might have assumed incorrectly?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)