Canon S500 Camera Speed?

Old July 12th 04, 09:03 PM
Joseph Miller

Default Canon S500 Camera Speed?

Ryan wrote:

Hi,

I just traded in my Sony T1 (small camera, HORRID photos) for a Canon
S500 Digital Elph. While the photo quality of the Canon is MUCH better
than the T1 and I had several Canon Digital Cameras before that take
wonderful photos, I am having my old "Canon Problem".

When you press the shutter to take a shot, it hums and focuses and
makes neat little noises and THEN eventually takes the shot when it
feels it's time. Sadly, this doesn't work for shots you need to take
NOW or action shots.

Now, once it has focused and adjusted itself for the first shot you
can stand there and fire off several more quite quickly but the
adjusting takes what feels like forever. I love the quality of the
Canon S500 photos of stills, things that don't require quick photo
taking, etc. But, I have missed a couple of great shots because the
object of the photo was moving and the S500 didn't move fast enough to
take the shot when I wanted.

Is this a setting on the camera I can adjust? I have had similar
issues with the other Canon's I have owned, but just lived with it
because I otherwise loved the cameras and the photos they took. Sure,
my T1 would focus and shoot much faster.. but the photo it took was
grainy... not much of a help.

Any ideas?

This camera comes with a speeded-up picture taking mode. Consult your
manual to see how to enable it. With this set in my S500, I find it to
be the fastest digital camera I have ever used, though the DSLR are
supposed to be virually instantaneous. From shutter button push to
picture is under a second with my camera. If I push the button half way
so that it is alsready focused, exposure is immediate.

Joe