Dumb question

Old October 12th 04, 08:46 PM
Roland Karlsson

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:y11ad.519221
:

I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
in cropping.

Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.

Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

Hi Keith - the thread just went out the window
with that rude and crazy Bob.

Now - yes it will work - iff the map maker has
made a map that is symmetrical in x an y direction.
To a certain size though. When the map gets larger
you are mapping a part of a sphere to the flat map.
Then you get problems. So - I assume that it will
not work all that well for a map of the entire US
or Europe or Eurasien. But for a map of a State or
smaller it should work just fine I assume.

/Roland
Old October 12th 04, 09:50 PM
Roland Karlsson

"Wayne J" wrote in news:0cNad.17797$hk6.492543
@news20.bellglobal.com:

And my genius friend, exactly how big is a pixel?

Sometimes you find people like this Bob one on USENET.
You just gets amazed by how dense they are - does not
seem to understand even the simplest things. And very
often they cannot write either.

/Roland

Old October 14th 04, 01:10 AM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob wrote:

The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...

P L O N K

Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
daily routine?

If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
you how to plonk me, too.

Old October 15th 04, 01:14 AM
Bob

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:10:59 GMT, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob wrote:

The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...

P L O N K

Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
daily routine?

why? You interested?

If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
you how to plonk me, too.

And what is this thread to you?

Some guy asked me if pixels were square or not because he was using the bounding
box in Irfanview to measure maps on his screen... let me quote what the trolls
keep snipping...

I have been working with some maps I down loaded and was looking at
distances. It occured to me that some programs, like Irfanview, will
give you the size of a the area defined by the cursor on pixels ie used
in cropping.

He was using the cursor in Irfanview to draw a square box on a map on his
screen.

Using trigometric function I can determine the diagonals in pixels of
that rectangle and then measure distance on the map.

By using Pythagoras theorem on the number of pixels measured, he could also
measure distances in lines that intersect his boundary box coordinates.

Dumb question are pixel symmetrical? Round or square pixels; the above
works. rectangle or elipses pixels and it fails.

Here he wanted to know if the pixels on PC screens were square - really he was
asking if the dimensions up and down are equal - and I told him how to find out
by testing the ratio of his screen with the ratio of his display card.

So I answered his question, but he never came back.

Meanwhile, some trolls decided to tell me I was wrong for some reason - but they
snipped the post AND they didn't give the OP any answer to his question. And
this last guy decided to insult me as well - I'm just fed up with these trolls
who contribute nothing and scare off the people who try to help.

I'm not going to plonk you - I really don't care anymore. I'll just stop trying
to help people, that's all, and go back to being a lurker. I'm an electronics
technologist, and a photographer, I don't need to ask questions here for the
most part. But maybe someone's questions will go unanswered, who knows.

Peace
Bob
lurking
Old October 15th 04, 09:49 AM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:14:25 -0400, Bob wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:10:59 GMT, wrote:

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob wrote:

The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...

P L O N K

Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
daily routine?

why? You interested?

You raised the issue. SInce itt did not relate to the issue in
question, I thought you might have some intense interest in it.

If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
you how to plonk me, too.

And what is this thread to you?

Just one where I found someone making irrelevant and baseless
reference to someone's sexual habits on the basis of no evidence.

However, this being usenet, I don't need to gain your
permission to chime in.

Passive-aggressive bull****. We'll be so hurt.

I'm an electronics
technologist, and a photographer, I don't need to ask questions here for the
most part. But maybe someone's questions will go unanswered, who knows.

Peace

Calling someone a cocksucker is a mildly strange way of
spreading peace.

Bob
lurking

Old October 16th 04, 01:26 AM
Bob

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:49:41 GMT, wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:14:25 -0400, Bob wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:10:59 GMT,
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 20:49:52 -0400, Bob wrote:

The fact you are a stupid cocksucker is quite ironic as well...

P L O N K

Why the intense interest in sucking cock? Is it a part of your
daily routine?

why? You interested?

You raised the issue. SInce itt did not relate to the issue in
question, I thought you might have some intense interest in it.

Since no one but me answered the OP question... wonder why you were so
attracted?

If you let me know what newsreader you use, maybe I can teach
you how to plonk me, too.

And what is this thread to you?

Just one where I found someone making irrelevant and baseless
reference to someone's sexual habits on the basis of no evidence.

Funny you didn't say anything about the people who made irrelevant and baseless
remarks about me... all I did was answer someone's question - and now 3
irrelevant posts against me! And I note you didn't contribute an answer
either...

[...]

I know... but you'll get over it...

I'm an electronics
technologist, and a photographer, I don't need to ask questions here for the
most part. But maybe someone's questions will go unanswered, who knows.

Peace

Calling someone a cocksucker is a mildly strange way of
spreading peace.

It's better then war! Remember buddy - I didn't start this - the trolls did!

Anyway - color me gone, I'm deleting this useless group... and yes I know - who
cares!

I don't!

PS don't answer - I won't see it