is there a prosumer printer which can cope with the reds?

Old August 6th 04, 10:39 AM
nobody nowhere

Default is there a prosumer printer which can cope with the reds?

I have used Epson and Canon (1280, i9900, and i9950, the latter being
the very latest Canon). They are all more than excellent printers, yet,
in my experience, none of them can get the reds right. The Cannon i9950
was supposed to improve the reds by a factor of 60 per cent (according
to the famous Steve's site), but as far as I can tell, this has not
happened (even when used with the expensive Canon pro paper). If there
is any improvement in the rendition of this colour, it is so small, as
to be insignificant. My question is this: is the red a problem for all
prosumer inkjet printers? In what fantastically expensive territory
would I have to move if I wanted my reds to have a little more punch, be
a little more like true red?
--

nobody
Old August 6th 04, 11:18 AM
Roland Karlsson

nobody nowhere wrote in
:

I have used Epson and Canon (1280, i9900, and i9950, the latter being
the very latest Canon). They are all more than excellent printers, yet,
in my experience, none of them can get the reds right. The Cannon i9950
was supposed to improve the reds by a factor of 60 per cent (according
to the famous Steve's site), but as far as I can tell, this has not
happened (even when used with the expensive Canon pro paper). If there
is any improvement in the rendition of this colour, it is so small, as
to be insignificant. My question is this: is the red a problem for all
prosumer inkjet printers? In what fantastically expensive territory
would I have to move if I wanted my reds to have a little more punch, be
a little more like true red?

The Canon i990 and i9950 both have an auxilliary red ink. You replace
one of the photo ink cartridges. Have you tried that?

/Roland
Old August 6th 04, 11:19 AM
DJ

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:39:39 +0100, nobody nowhere
wrote:

I have used Epson and Canon (1280, i9900, and i9950, the latter being
the very latest Canon). They are all more than excellent printers, yet,
in my experience, none of them can get the reds right. The Cannon i9950
was supposed to improve the reds by a factor of 60 per cent (according
to the famous Steve's site), but as far as I can tell, this has not
happened (even when used with the expensive Canon pro paper). If there
is any improvement in the rendition of this colour, it is so small, as
to be insignificant. My question is this: is the red a problem for all
prosumer inkjet printers? In what fantastically expensive territory
would I have to move if I wanted my reds to have a little more punch, be
a little more like true red?

I'm going to hazard a guess then watch this thread with interest :-)

I have an i9950 and have observed that the reds and greens are not looking as
spectacular as I expected. However I suspect the fault may be mine, in that I
have yet to find the time and energy to tackle and learn about colour profiles.
From the little I know about profiles the "wrong" profile will tend to map
"extreme" colours into the gamut (colour range) of the profile in question. I
hence speculate that by using the default, generic profiles in Photoshop or the
camera (in my case, C 1 Rebel Capture) I am limiting the working gamut to less
than what the printer os capable off.

I'd like to know what those with more advanced knowledge of these matters has to
say about this ... in plain English, please!

Old August 6th 04, 11:26 AM
Rick

"nobody nowhere" wrote in message ...
I have used Epson and Canon (1280, i9900, and i9950, the latter being
the very latest Canon). They are all more than excellent printers, yet,
in my experience, none of them can get the reds right. The Cannon i9950
was supposed to improve the reds by a factor of 60 per cent (according
to the famous Steve's site), but as far as I can tell, this has not
happened (even when used with the expensive Canon pro paper). If there
is any improvement in the rendition of this colour, it is so small, as
to be insignificant. My question is this: is the red a problem for all
prosumer inkjet printers? In what fantastically expensive territory
would I have to move if I wanted my reds to have a little more punch, be
a little more like true red?

No problem at all with reds on our Epson R800, if you can live
with an 8.5" carriage. It has true red (and blue) cartridges.

Rick

Old August 6th 04, 11:44 AM
nobody nowhere

What do you mean? The i9950 which I am now using has indeed an extra
red (and also green) cartridge, and I assume, the printer would not work
if both the extra red and green cartridges were not in place. Is there
a "photo ink" cartridge which I could substitute for the red? In which
case, what is it?

In article , Roland Karlsson
writes
nobody nowhere wrote in
:

Old August 6th 04, 11:48 AM
nobody nowhere

I have profiled my printer with a Gretag Macbeth profiler, and you
cannot get better than that. If you want to know what your printer can
really do, you *must* profile it (and your monitor) with a Gretag
Macbeth. Yet even after the best profiling available, the reds (and the
greens, now that you mention it, but in particular the reds) are still
disappointing (not that the Epson ones were better).

In article , DJ
writes
wrote:

[...]

From the little I know about profiles the "wrong" profile will tend to map