Leitz Focomat V35

Old May 29th 04, 11:47 AM
Claudio Bonavolta

Default Leitz Focomat V35

"Baz" wrote in message
Purchased on ebay a couple of months ago with its focotar 40. I need
something little, less cumbersome than my chromega s.dichro 5X7 to print
from 24*36 on format up to 20*24. Focomat V35 is a wonderful machine,
fast, quiet and with a strange, beautiful Star Wars Tetrapod look.
Now a little question: what are your impressions about image quality
from this enlg? please let away all discussion about sharpness in the
far corners, autofocus precision and so on: I'm referring to global
appearance of images that come from this rig.

I use such enlarger for 25 years now ...
You can have a look on my page about it:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm

It's one of the best 35mm enlargers available.
The original Focotar is razor-sharp.

My opinion? Images from
chromega with aporodagon comes more creamy-glowing, more rounded, the
ones from focomat a bit harsher to my poor eyes. Maybe the fault (if
fault is the correct term) is on the particular (reversed) leitz system
of illumination? Note that every diffused head enlarger I saw, bring the
flat side of final diffuser towards film and the convex one towards
mixing chamber; leitz not: convex on film and flat towards chamber. Note
also that focomat diffuser isn't a real condenser since it is not
transparent but translucent. I imagine that diffusing plates are convex
one side because of even light distribution from center to corners.

AFAIK there have been to configurations: the original was a single convex
condenser which has been replaced (don't knowexactly when) by a double
condenser model.
The term "condenser" is not proper for this enlarger as these are white
plastic diffuser shaped like a (pretty flat) condenser.
I do consider the V35 much more as a diffuser enlarger.

Some told me to switch on a 40 apocomponon HM, a lens that suit well on
focomat, but image quality tested with mine aporod 50 on focomat was the
same. (loosing autofocus, not a problem on a simple test buzzing around
into my poor brain).

Well, there might be a better lens but I wouldn't lose time to try to find
it, the Focotar is already among the best lenses for this enlarger.
You'll hear/read many things on this enlarger and/or lens like the light
mixing chamber would compensate the vignettingofthe Focotar or that the
Focotar would not perform well on another enlarger and so on ...
I don't care to much about it as for me these two go together and together,
they are absolutely good performers.

A little bug on leitz (yesss, there is): color module precision isn't
the same legendary average built I expected from the German Gods of The
Perfect Photography. The only way to cut off filters is in switching off
completely the pack with the sticky lever. If I set all filters to zero
they are still in light path. Maybe I own the only fault color module
from GGPP? Hard to say, but Omega works better in this, it's stellar...

Your color module is not faulty, a slight part of the filters remain (a mm
or so) in the light path when set to 0 but their proportion are the same and
result in a (very) light grey filter.

cheerz

--
Lo, forever.