"Chinese" Camera Stores

Old November 2nd 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default "Chinese" Camera Stores

Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.

Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
in.

The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese versions.
The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals, apparently)
were in Chinese.

Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there are
so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself, says
I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."

Prices are dropping like the temperature on DSLRs, legitimate
English-speaking (!) DSLRs, I know, and will probably drop further for
Black Friday. But these prices are fantastic, and I just wanted to
know if anyone here has ever purchased a foreign language camera.

Old November 2nd 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bongo

wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I thought I'd seen most everything (not X-rated, that is) online.

Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website in
NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price. I
called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even gave
me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
in.

snipped

i would think it would be a real pain in the a*s trying to learn the symbals
for the menues. plus you can not revert to the manual to help you out as its
in chinese.

are the cams copies of the originals?
my camera has several languages that i can set it to but i keep it on
english.
nikon D50

Old November 2nd 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark B.

If it sounds too good to be true...

Old November 2nd 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cgiorgio

schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
[...]

Once Canon has found all the bugs in the first units, there will probably be
a firmware update, once that is loaded in the camera it should behave like
an international model with western languages.

Old November 2nd 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yesterday, searching for deals on a Rebel XTi, I came to a website
in
NYC that sold almost all in-demand DLSRs for nearly half the price.

That's your first clue that something is wrong. Half price compared to
everyone else means there is something wrong with the cameras. Even
factory refurbished items do not sell for half price.

called a 800 number and spoke with a really friendly guy who even
gave
me the street address of his store in Manhattan, and told me to stop
in.

Which store?

The reason for his great deals was that they were...Chinese
versions.
The on-screen displays of everything (and also the manuals,
apparently)
were in Chinese.

Before anyone laughs, he said there are software programs you can
purchase that will translate the on-screen displays/commands. The
reason I didn't roll totally off my BarcaLounger was because there
are
so *many* unfamiliar acronyms in ENGLISH, that I says to myself,
says
I, "Just learn what the ideograms stand for."

Why?

Many, if not all, recent cameras from the big names all come with a
dozen or more languages built-in. There is no need for a special
chinese version. My Nikon D80 has Chinese simplified and traditional,
among many other languages. The user simply selects the menu choice
they want.

The controls on the outside anyone can learn.

I would have VERY serious reservations about considering one of those
cameras. I would have to contact the manufacturer and find out if
they're legitimate first. Based on Chinas history of making fake
products, I'd say chances are good that you're buying overpriced junk.

Old November 2nd 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cynicor

Bill wrote:
I would have VERY serious reservations about considering one of those
cameras. I would have to contact the manufacturer and find out if
they're legitimate first. Based on Chinas history of making fake
products, I'd say chances are good that you're buying overpriced junk.

But still. Half price on a Snoopy D70s is too good a deal to pass up.
Old November 2nd 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , Cynicor
wrote:

But still. Half price on a Snoopy D70s is too good a deal to pass up.

Are you serious? A camera is, or should be, a craftsman's tool. If you
purchase something KNOWN to be a cheap knockoff, every time a shot
doesn't come up to your expectations, you're going to be wondering
"Would this be OK if I had the real camera?"

PLUS no warranty, and the aggravation of dealing with an
incomprehensible user interface and manual.

My time and burnt brain cells are worth more than that. if a few
hundred bucks are that important to someone, perhaps they should try a
less expensive hobby.
Old November 2nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

Scott Schuckert wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

My time and burnt brain cells are worth more than that. if a few
hundred bucks are that important to someone, perhaps they should try a
less expensive hobby.

I find this attitude disgusting. Just thought I'd express my feelings,
no need to reply.

Cheers!

Old November 2nd 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 8:10 am, "Martin Sørensen"
wrote:

Yes. I am not even sure if our G3 _knows_ Danish ;-)

Sorry for being so uglyamericanish!