Oly C-8080 with Linux

Old July 3rd 04, 10:44 PM
Lewis Wolfgang

Default Oly C-8080 with Linux

Hi Folks,

I've been considering the C-8080 and I'm now down
to the details of questioning if it will interface
with my computer. I don't use Microsoft products,
it's a religious issue.

So, does anyone have experience using the C-8080 with
Linux on x86? I've used the Canon S30 directly without
problem.

Also, how about the XD memory cards? Any problems getting
readers to work with the Penguin?

Thanks,
Lew

Old July 3rd 04, 10:51 PM
Tyrone Jackson

My C4000 interfaces with Mandrake 9.2+ via USB with no problems. It just
worked instantly. A new mounted volume just appeared on the desktop. Easier
than even M$,

Ty

news

Old July 4th 04, 01:41 AM
Frank Fischer

Lewis Wolfgang wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been considering the C-8080 and I'm now down
to the details of questioning if it will interface
with my computer. I don't use Microsoft products,
it's a religious issue.

So, does anyone have experience using the C-8080 with
Linux on x86? I've used the Canon S30 directly without
problem.

Also, how about the XD memory cards? Any problems getting
readers to work with the Penguin?

Thanks,
Lew

Mandrake 9.2 and 10.0 automatically recognize and mount my C-8080 as
well as the Belkin PicturePad that I use for storing images when away
from home.
Old July 4th 04, 04:46 AM
Michael Meissner

Lewis Wolfgang writes:

Hi Folks,

I've been considering the C-8080 and I'm now down
to the details of questioning if it will interface
with my computer. I don't use Microsoft products,
it's a religious issue.

All recent Olympus cameras support USB mass storage, which means you can just
mount the drive (evidently Mandrake does automounting). Note, I believe there
is a setting in the camera to choose Pictbridge/PTP vs USB mass storage, and
you would choose USB mass storage. It is possible that gphoto2/kam would work
with the camera in PTP mode.

So, does anyone have experience using the C-8080 with
Linux on x86? I've used the Canon S30 directly without
problem.

Also, how about the XD memory cards? Any problems getting
readers to work with the Penguin?

In general you might have a problem with multi-format readers. Redhat/Fedora
kernels are shipped with the Multiple SCSI LUN option turned off (evidently it
breaks some ancient hardware), and you need to recompile the kernel with this
option to use a multi-card reader (each different reader shows up as a seprate
drive, and without multiple LUN support, Linux will only see the first drive).

FWIW, the 2.6 kernels now supports my x-drive as a card reader in addition to
removable disk drive, but it broke one of my older smartmedia readers.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old July 4th 04, 06:00 AM
Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/8080.html#Linux
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 16th 04, 01:24 AM
Jim Sabatke

Lewis Wolfgang wrote:
Hi Folks,

I've been considering the C-8080 and I'm now down
to the details of questioning if it will interface
with my computer. I don't use Microsoft products,
it's a religious issue.

So, does anyone have experience using the C-8080 with
Linux on x86? I've used the Canon S30 directly without
problem.

Also, how about the XD memory cards? Any problems getting
readers to work with the Penguin?

Thanks,
Lew

SuSE 9.0

I have two cards, an XD and a CF.

The XD reads right from the camera. Worked the first time I
connected it. The kernel puts an entry in /etc/fstab on
connection, in my case /media/sdb1. It reads and writes
like a hard drive.

I've only used the CF with a card reader. It worked first
time too. OS created an fstab entry /media/sda1.

Good luck,

--
Jim Sabatke
Hire Me!! - See my resume at http://my.execpc.com/~jsabatke

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy
and good with ketchup.

NOTE: Please do not email me any attachments with Microsoft
extensions. They
are deleted on my ISP's server before I ever see them, and
no bounce message
is sent.

Old July 16th 04, 01:52 AM
Sabineellen

I don't use Microsoft products,
it's a religious issue.

religious issue?!?!!

Old July 16th 04, 01:52 AM
Sabineellen

Old July 16th 04, 03:26 AM
Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner writes:

FWIW, the 2.6 kernels now supports my x-drive as a card reader in addition to
removable disk drive, but it broke one of my older smartmedia readers.

As a followup, the 2.6.8-rc1 kernel fixes the older smartmedia reader so it
works again.

--
Michael Meissner
email: