Which UV filter brand?

Old March 13th 12, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Default Which UV filter brand?

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya, Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to image
quality? TIA.

Old March 13th 12, 07:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , mianileng
wrote:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya, Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to image
quality? TIA.

the important thing is that it's multi-coated. you don't want a cheap
uncoated filter.

hoya smc is probably the best bet, but there are others.
Old March 13th 12, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

"mianileng" writes:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya, Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to image
quality? TIA.

I'm not sure it matters, but Hoya is the major brand out of that set.

The thing to make sure of is that it's multi-coated.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old March 14th 12, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex Monro

mianileng wrote:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya, Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to image
quality? TIA.

You might find this multi test of UV filters at Lenstip.com helpful:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html

There's also a follow up:

http://www.lenstip.com/120.1-article...upplement.html
--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK
Old March 14th 12, 12:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Bruce wrote:
"mianileng" wrote:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya,
Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own
experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to
image
quality? TIA.

Of those listed, Hoya. But if you want a top quality UV
filter, look
at B+W or Heliopan which are optically only a little better
than Hoya
but are many times easier to keep clean.

In all cases look for the latest multi-coated filters that are
sold
specifically for use with digital cameras. Hoya has "Pro1
Digital"
and B+W has "F-Pro", "F-Pro Gold" and "XS-Pro".

As the cost of these filters is high compared to the price of
your
camera, you may wish to consider whether you need one at all.

My main reason for wanting to fit a UV filter is to protect the
lens. I live in a region where most of the soil is fine clay and
dust quickly settles on any exposed surface, especially in the
dry season.

If you
still want one, but the expensive ranges are outside your
budget, the
Nikon NC range is a cheaper alternative but still offers
excellent
optical quality.

I haven't found a source for any of the others you mentioned. I
live in a remote part of India and my choices are limited to
what's available online, and _that_ range is very limited because
online shopping still has a long way to go here.

Old March 14th 12, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

nospam wrote:
In article , mianileng
wrote:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya,
Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own
experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to
image
quality? TIA.

the important thing is that it's multi-coated. you don't want a
cheap
uncoated filter.

hoya smc is probably the best bet, but there are others.

The ones I've looked at all claim to be multi-coated, with prices
ranging from the equivalent of about US $6 for an Osaka to $18
for a Hoya HMC (not SMC).

Old March 14th 12, 12:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

Alex Monro wrote:
mianileng wrote:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya,
Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own
experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to
image
quality? TIA.

You might find this multi test of UV filters at Lenstip.com
helpful:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html

There's also a follow up:

http://www.lenstip.com/120.1-article...upplement.html

Thanks for the links. I jumped to the summary and will read the
rest later.

Old March 14th 12, 12:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mianileng

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
"mianileng" writes:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya,
Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own
experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to
image
quality? TIA.

I'm not sure it matters, but Hoya is the major brand out of
that set.

The thing to make sure of is that it's multi-coated.

The ones I'm looking at all claim to be multi-coated.

Old March 14th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

"mianileng" wrote in message
[]
Thanks for the links. I jumped to the summary and will read the rest
later.

You may also find this article interesting:

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/...ity/index.html

It's by Roger Clark.

Cheers,
David

Old March 14th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/13/12 12:42 PM, in article , "mianileng"
wrote:

I want to get a 52mm UV filter to protect the lens on my new
FZ150, and since the local camera shop doesn't have any, I'll
have to order one online. I have a choice of Kenko, Hoya, Marumi
and Osaka. Based on their reputation or on your own experience,
which of these is likely to cause the least degradation to image
quality? TIA.

Hoya is the only one that rings a bell here. Tiffen is OK, but not in your
choices. Personally, Hoya has always been time tested true.