FILM ADVICE

Old April 6th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
PRO SHOW_SS

Default FILM ADVICE

I shoot wedding and senior grads for a living and use FUJI PRO 160 S 220
film...now, i have been asked to shoot a car clubs cars.....now since i
have never shot cars before...what film would you recomend that i use
and why......i already know where i'm shooting, i have permission to
shoot on the grass in a park with lots of trees for sunlight cover....i
just have to wait for the leaves to pop out....
now some of you may be saying...shoot digital....no thank you...i like
film....just asking for some help from you guys that may have done this
yourselves......

thanks in advance

Wayne
Milwaukee,WI

Old April 6th 07, 08:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

"PRO SHOW_SS" wrote in message
I shoot wedding and senior grads for a living and use FUJI PRO 160 S 220
film...now, i have been asked to shoot a car clubs cars.....now since i
have never shot cars before...what film would you recomend that i use
and why......i already know where i'm shooting, i have permission to
shoot on the grass in a park with lots of trees for sunlight cover....i
just have to wait for the leaves to pop out....
now some of you may be saying...shoot digital....no thank you...i like
film....just asking for some help from you guys that may have done this
yourselves......

Car types presumably like snappy colors and lots of contrast. Velvia 100F is
what I'd try first. It's very fussy/unforgiving about exposure, though. I
shot a lot of it for a while, but went back to Provia, which has enough snap
crackle and pop for my needs and the highlights don't burn holes in the
stuff quite so badly.

Fuji _claim_ it's their most color-accurate slide film. It gets a bad rep
amongst landscape types, who want the dizzy Velvia 50 colors. But that makes
it the right thing for cars.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 6th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Ken Hart

"PRO SHOW_SS" wrote in message
I shoot wedding and senior grads for a living and use FUJI PRO 160 S 220
film...now, i have been asked to shoot a car clubs cars.....now since i
have never shot cars before...what film would you recomend that i use
and why......i already know where i'm shooting, i have permission to
shoot on the grass in a park with lots of trees for sunlight cover....i
just have to wait for the leaves to pop out....
now some of you may be saying...shoot digital....no thank you...i like
film....just asking for some help from you guys that may have done this
yourselves......

thanks in advance

Wayne
Milwaukee,WI

A possible, maybe thing to consider would be a slightly wide lens. Back in
the day when cars had big fins, many car shots were done with a wide lens
from a low angle at a corner. This made the car look like it went on
forever. Some car club people may not like the look, but for some cars (and
owners), it may be a good look.

You're probably gonna burn thru a lot of film (I know I would!), so unless
you have the money side covered, I'd consider using 35mm, just to cut your
costs a bit. You can get a good 11x14 from a good 35mm negative with no
problem, and a 16x20 if you've got good glass and can hold a camera steady.

I'd carry a 35mm with a normal lens, a 28mm (for the "big fin" look), and
maybe a zoom or a macro lens (possibly an add-on for the normal lens) to get
some detail shots.

Old April 6th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
[email protected]

On 6 Apr, 14:16, "Ken Hart" wrote:
"PRO SHOW_SS" wrote in message

[...]

I got the cash part covered...there paying me 125.00 each for me to
shoot....i would rather not shoot slide film if i can get away with
it...for the reason my new lab won't do slide film....if i had another
lab...i would shoot it in a heartbeat....but i want to stay away from
slide....there has to be a film you guys can think of that would give
me the snap of slide...

wayne

Old April 7th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
David J. Littleboy

wrote:

I got the cash part covered...there paying me 125.00 each for me to
shoot....i would rather not shoot slide film if i can get away with
it...for the reason my new lab won't do slide film....if i had another
lab...i would shoot it in a heartbeat....but i want to stay away from
slide....there has to be a film you guys can think of that would give
me the snap of slide...

Get a new lab.

Failing that, there's a (relatively) new Fuji negative film that would be
perfect: PRO160NC. The lowest grain I've ever seen in a negative film scan
(way better than Reala), high contrast, punchy colors. But it's only
available in Japan.

Get a new lab. (And shoot 120: if you get some good shots, the car folks
will want big prints. Film looks like crap at a 13x enlargement, and that's
12x18 from 35mm. Life's to short to put up with 35mm.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 7th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Art

Seems to me you have an opportunity to test several films before the shoot.
Also other issues will be uneven lighting etc. People have seen lots of
great car pictures. You want yours to be just as good as what they have
seen in the past.

Old April 7th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
PRO SHOW_SS

sure it would be nice to find a lab to do slide...it took me 4 months to
find this lab to do my film after my lab closed...this lab is a few
states away the way it is...you find me a lab that will do 220
slide,...and i'll give them a try....film labs are drying up...

Wayne

Old April 7th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

PRO SHOW_SS wrote:
I shoot wedding and senior grads for a living and use FUJI PRO 160 S 220
film...now, i have been asked to shoot a car clubs cars.....now since i
have never shot cars before...what film would you recomend that i use
and why......i already know where i'm shooting, i have permission to
shoot on the grass in a park with lots of trees for sunlight cover....i
just have to wait for the leaves to pop out....
now some of you may be saying...shoot digital....no thank you...i like
film....just asking for some help from you guys that may have done this
yourselves......

Velvia 100/100F, 50
Kodak E100G/GX and E100VS (VS: Vivid Saturation)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.