Ventilation of New Darkroom Question

Old February 13th 04, 04:02 AM
Jtown2354

Default Ventilation of New Darkroom Question

SofaKing - the 10 - 20 air changes is the ASME recommendation/specification for
commercial bathrooms and other areas where chemcal vapors are prevalent.

Home bathrooms are typically governed by the UBC (Uniform Building Code) and
the local building codes. Bathroom odors are not as damaging as chemical
vapors.

The vent can enter the room at any location - but I would suggest the air
should leave the darkroom from above the sink area - where the chemical vapors
are located. ---- Jerry/Idaho
Old February 13th 04, 11:35 AM
Jean-David Beyer

Jtown2354 wrote (in part):

In my case - I mounted a blower high on an outside wall of the
darkroom - in an unfinished part of the basement. The air flows down
the wall between the wall studs and exits near floor level. The
exhaust vent is positioned high above the sink.

Of course, the contractor who built your darkroom wall thoroughly
cleaned the channel between the walls and the wall studs so you would
not be blowing the dust from there into the darkroom, right?

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 6:30am up 37 days, 17:53, 3 users, load average: 2.33, 2.25, 1.88

Old February 13th 04, 03:08 PM
bob

Jean-David Beyer wrote in news:102pdkdgtcs2t22
@corp.supernews.com:

Jtown2354 wrote (in part):

In my case - I mounted a blower high on an outside wall of the
darkroom - in an unfinished part of the basement. The air flows down
the wall between the wall studs and exits near floor level. The
exhaust vent is positioned high above the sink.

Of course, the contractor who built your darkroom wall thoroughly
cleaned the channel between the walls and the wall studs so you would
not be blowing the dust from there into the darkroom, right?

I'm going to do a similar thing in my darkroom. In my case, I will run
rectangular duct inside the wall cavity. I think I might put the blower at
floor level and vent up higher, because a blower at floor level will be
less obtrusive. The room it will need to be in will be an occupied room.

Bob
Old February 14th 04, 12:55 AM
Dan Quinn

"SofaKing"

Air scrubber. Air scrubber. An air scrubber is what you should be
looking for. It is a self-contained in room method of eliminating oders,
fumes and particulate matter. The right one may even keep the humidity
correct.
Forget about air coming in or going out, duct work and manifolds,
electricians, and sheet metal workers. Set a compact air scrubber on
the floor or a low stand and worry no more.
Search Google for, air scrubber , and if you are a handy-man and
like to tinker, build one.
I don't know why the talk is always of ventilation. Air scrubbers
are'nt just for astronauts. I think we should have a choice. Dan

Old February 14th 04, 02:46 AM
SofaKing

Simple to build though. I'm liking the idea more and more. I'll still
pressurize the room but I have enough room for it. I could even put it on
wheels.

Old February 15th 04, 10:51 AM
Dan Quinn

"SofaKing" wrote

Simple to build though. I'm liking the idea more and more. I'll still
pressurize the room but I have enough room for it. I could even put it on
wheels.

I'll start a new thread. I came across a web site which will interest
a few. Dan

"Dan Quinn"

Old February 15th 04, 06:05 PM

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:56:20 -0500, Chris Ellinger
In new construction, the cavity between wall studs can make a good
light trap. Locate one vent high and the other low, and paint the
interior of the stud cavity flat black. Be sure the supply air cavity
is clean (and filter the supply vent just to be sure.)

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI

feb1504 from Lloyd Erlick,

That sounds like a great cavity in which to mount
an air scrubber ... (keeps it from occupying floor
space) ...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits,