Extend film development or high grade paper ?

Old February 12th 04, 05:50 AM
Dan Dunphy

Default Extend film development or high grade paper ?

I believe the paper has a toe region in the d log e curve, like film,
but visually it's upside down, that is in the highlights of the paper.
Reciprocity is worse in the area where the film or paper recieves the
least amount of photons - ie the toe. The net effect of long exposure
times, is linearization of the toe region of the d log e curves.
Dan

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:49:38 +0800, Ming wrote:

May I know what would be the difference in the resulting print if:

1. I extend the film development time. And reduce explosure according
to the Kodak instruction. This would increase film contrast.

2. Use normal film development. But use high contrast print paper to
enlarge the print.

What is the difference in the resulting print ?

Ming.

Colorado Springs, CO
My advice may be worth what you paid for it.
Old February 15th 04, 04:15 AM
Dan Quinn

Dan Dunphy wrote

I believe the paper has a toe region in the d log e curve, like film,
but visually it's upside down, that is in the highlights of the paper.
Reciprocity is worse in the area where the film or paper recieves the
least amount of photons - ie the toe. The net effect of long exposure
times, is linearization of the toe region of the d log e curves.

I've mentioned long exposures and reciprocity as a means of altering
print contrast. Do you think the method is of any practical use?
With films, very long exposures cause an increase in contrast. Mr.
H. Bond in a recent article has showen that some film are not affected
in their contrast up to 240 seconds. Others are. Dan