Windows 10 - Day 1

Old May 26th 16, 06:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
tconway

Default Windows 10 - Day 1

On 5/26/2016 12:18 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
I installed Windows 10 during the night. Goodbye Windows 7. So far.

It's actually very little change other than the START menu. My
desktop is the same, all programs except one seem to work, and no
glitches.

I lost my Tinnes Desktop Calendar, and I do rather miss it. It was up
on the desktop at all times. 10 has a calendar, but I haven't found a
way to keep it up on the desktop. I open it and then minimize it.

Dunno what all the fuss is about from the anti-10 contingent.

I have Windows 7 and was going to upgrade to W10, but I'm not allowed to
because my video drivers are too old and the manufacturer has not made
new ones that are compatible. ugh!

Old May 31st 16, 12:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AnthonyL

On Thu, 26 May 2016 01:30:08 -0400, tconway
wrote:

On 5/26/2016 12:18 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
I installed Windows 10 during the night. Goodbye Windows 7. So far.

It's actually very little change other than the START menu. My
desktop is the same, all programs except one seem to work, and no
glitches.

I lost my Tinnes Desktop Calendar, and I do rather miss it. It was up
on the desktop at all times. 10 has a calendar, but I haven't found a
way to keep it up on the desktop. I open it and then minimize it.

Dunno what all the fuss is about from the anti-10 contingent.

I have Windows 7 and was going to upgrade to W10, but I'm not allowed to
because my video drivers are too old and the manufacturer has not made
new ones that are compatible. ugh!

I've held off upgrading my wife's Win 7 "Samsung NC110 Netbook" though
I had planned to research it in the next few weeks.

Today I read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05..._samsung_fail/

Will the pro-Win10 brigade please suggest how best I proceed?

--
AnthonyL
Old May 31st 16, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 31/05/2016 12:49, AnthonyL wrote:
[]
I've held off upgrading my wife's Win 7 "Samsung NC110 Netbook" though
I had planned to research it in the next few weeks.

Today I read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05..._samsung_fail/

Will the pro-Win10 brigade please suggest how best I proceed?

Samsung pulled out of some markets some time back:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/lapt...books-3573470/

so it looks like you are stuck with Win-7 until either Samsung get their
drivers updated (as most other companies have) or you buy a new PC. I
have hardware here which I don't intend to update either, but as it's XP
it's not being offered the upgrade.

--
Cheers,
David
Old May 31st 16, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

First question to ask yourself is why do you want to update. I am facing
that issue, myself. For me the main reason is that Win10 is reportedly
more stable than Win 7. But lack of stability has not been a major issue
for me.

The register is not known to be a 100% reliable source. It sometimes
issues alarm messages out of context.

I checked the Samsung site and saw they are selling machines with Win 10.
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops

There may or may not be a driver issue with your machine. I would
contact Samsung tech support.

--
PeterN
Old May 31st 16, 05:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

There you have it. If Win 10 is more stable than Win 7, how much less
stability have you experienced with Win 7that this would be a reason to
upgrade? I have used Win 7 at home in the past, I finally received a
new desktop at work about four months ago (older system had Win XP), and
my wife uses her old laptop at home, rather than the new one I bought
her, and that has Win 7 on it. All systems are very, very stable.

I did upgrade my Win 7 desktop at home to Win 8 when it came out and
I've since upgraded to Win 10 and am quite happy with each upgrade. Did
I need to upgrade each time? No. But I did and have no regrets. To
each his own. If you're Win 7 system is stable and you have no
compelling reason to upgrade to Win 10 (and I'm sure that's exactly
where you stand, then stick with Win 7.

Old May 31st 16, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| The register is not known to be a 100% reliable source. It sometimes
| issues alarm messages out of context.
|
| I checked the Samsung site and saw they are selling machines with Win 10.
| http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops

The Register article was about lack of support
for installing 10 on existing machines.

I've always found The Register to be among the
most dependable and knowledgeable sites to get
info, along with arstechnica.com. When it comes
to technical explanations they're very good. But
they can seem a little flaky. They have that strange
British habit of reporting like a daffy tabloid, with lots
of attitude. I find the biggest problem is just trying
to decipher headlines. They like to get creative. And
if there's a dearth of real tech news it gets worse.
Something like a story about a newly found planet
might turn up as "Cosmo Boffins Hail New ET Home".
I don't try to read their headlines until I've had my
coffee.

Old June 1st 16, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

Then there is
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/w...oad-online-faq

Eric Stevens
Old June 1st 16, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AnthonyL

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016 05:20:50 -0400, "J. Clarke"

says...

wrote:

[...]

It's a very low end 5 year old machine that the manufacturer no longer
supports. Trying to put Windows 10 on a machine that was marginal 5
years ago is going to be an exercise in frustration.

Then perhaps Microsoft would be so kind as to stop pestering to
upgrade with what is currently quite a stable machine. Or are their
programmers not clever enough to ascertain that the machine is
unsuitable.

One day my wife is going to indadvertenly clickk the wrong button and
two hours later say her machine has hung - can I fix it.

--
AnthonyL
Old June 1st 16, 12:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AnthonyL

On Tue, 31 May 2016 14:15:03 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 31/05/2016 12:49, AnthonyL wrote:
[]
I've held off upgrading my wife's Win 7 "Samsung NC110 Netbook" though
I had planned to research it in the next few weeks.

Today I read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05..._samsung_fail/

Will the pro-Win10 brigade please suggest how best I proceed?

Samsung pulled out of some markets some time back:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/lapt...books-3573470/

so it looks like you are stuck with Win-7 until either Samsung get their
drivers updated (as most other companies have) or you buy a new PC.

Happy to stick with Win7, just don't want the nags from m$oft.

have hardware here which I don't intend to update either, but as it's XP
it's not being offered the upgrade.

I've got some Win7 licences to throw at my old Lenovo XP - when I've
built up the courage to do so.

--
AnthonyL
Old June 1st 16, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
AnthonyL

wrote:

[...]

Correct - there may or may not be an issue. Microsoft appear to be
trying to force me to address it before my wife presses the wrong
button.

--
AnthonyL