Rollei - Carl Zeiss Distagon 80/f4

Old April 1st 05, 10:12 PM
Magdalena W.

Default Rollei - Carl Zeiss Distagon 80/f4

Hello,

I was given a beautiful lens - Rollei Carl Zeiss Distagon 80/f4, with
leaf shutter. I know it's a lens for the SL66, which I have, but apart
from that, I only heard it's more for studio work. I probably would
not keep it. It's in perfect condition, as if it just left the
factory. Does anyone know how much it could be worth?

Regards
Magdalena

Old April 1st 05, 11:48 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Magdalena W. posted:

Hello,

I was given a beautiful lens - Rollei Carl Zeiss Distagon 80/f4, with
leaf shutter. I know it's a lens for the SL66, which I have, but apart
from that, I only heard it's more for studio work. I probably would
not keep it. It's in perfect condition, as if it just left the
factory. Does anyone know how much it could be worth?

The price for 80 mm lenses are not all that high. I'd suggest that you
check the eBay past sales for an idea. But, a better suggestion would be
to take some photos with it. You'll have a better idea of its actual
condition, and you might actually like it. You'd be hard pressed to beat
the purchase price!

Regards,

Neil

Old April 2nd 05, 11:39 PM
Bob Salomon

"Jos. Burke" wrote:

Carl Zeiss "Distagon" 80 mm--Is there such an animal? Distagon 50 or 60 but
80mm-- should be more of a Planar or am I just confusing my Hasselblad
lenses with Rollei? But Carl Zeiss is Carl Zeiss!!
Jos. Burke
"Neil Gould" wrote in message
om...
Recently, Magdalena W. posted:

Hello,

I was given a beautiful lens - Rollei Carl Zeiss Distagon 80/f4, with
leaf shutter. I know it's a lens for the SL66, which I have, but apart
from that, I only heard it's more for studio work. I probably would
not keep it. It's in perfect condition, as if it just left the
factory. Does anyone know how much it could be worth?

The price for 80 mm lenses are not all that high. I'd suggest that you
check the eBay past sales for an idea. But, a better suggestion would be
to take some photos with it. You'll have a better idea of its actual
condition, and you might actually like it. You'd be hard pressed to beat
the purchase price!

Regards,

Neil

Rollei made two lenses with a built-in shutter for their focal plane MF
the SL66. One was the 150mm Sonnar and the other the 80mm Distagon.
There was not enough room to put the shutter in the Planar.

These lenses would work as regular SL66 lenses using the camera's focal
plane shutter with speeds from 1 to 1/1000 but with a maximum flash sync
for electronic flash of 1/30th. If one needed to be able to control the
ratio of flash to ambient light with the SL66 you would need a leaf
shutter. The leaf shutter built in to the two lenses gave speeds from
1/30 to 1/500 with full flash sync. To use the built-in leaf shutter you
had to cock the shutter with the lever on top of the lens and set the
shutter in the camera to 1/15 or slower.

So yes, there was an 80mm Planar for the SL66 with a built-in leaf
shutter.

And Hasselblad didn't have the same lens but then the Hasselblad did not
have a built-in bellows that tilted for Scheimpflug or a reverse mount
option for better macro work.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old April 4th 05, 12:38 AM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

Magdalena W. wrote:
Hello,

I was given a beautiful lens - Rollei Carl Zeiss Distagon 80/f4, with
leaf shutter. I know it's a lens for the SL66, which I have, but apart
from that, I only heard it's more for studio work. I probably would
not keep it. It's in perfect condition, as if it just left the
factory. Does anyone know how much it could be worth?

Regards
Magdalena

I read the answers but noone gave you an answer to your question - let
me try it now: If the lens is in a mint to mint- condition you can
achieve about $ 250.00 - $300.00, if it has got the coupling ring for
the E/SE, then maybe a bit more. The reason for usually not achieving
much more is that for portrait work most people prefer the 150mm shutter
lens.
Hope this helped a bit - regards George Nyman

Old April 4th 05, 01:00 PM
Magdalena W.

Uzytkownik "Dr. Georg N.Nyman" napisal w
wiadomosci

I read the answers but noone gave you an answer to your question -

let
me try it now: If the lens is in a mint to mint- condition you can
achieve about $ 250.00 - $300.00,

Thank you, it helped a lot. More factors to weigh in the decision
whether to keep it or not :-)

Best regards
Magdalena