KEH Praise

Old February 11th 05, 11:11 PM
Matt Clara

Default KEH Praise

Recently ordered a hood for my Mamiya 6 75mm lens, used from KEH ($31). The
hood came, but didn't fit the lens smoothly. So I looked inside and there
were three spots of glue at each of the entrances to the bayonet mount. I
cleaned them out with lots of goo gone and toothpicks, and now the lens
fits, but loosely. So I wrote KEH and told them I'd like to swap it for
another or simply return it. They said, sorry for the problem, we don't
have another, we'll refund your money and you can keep the hood.
For the cost of shipping and handling, the hood fits well enough! :-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old February 12th 05, 07:08 AM
Stefan Hahn

says...
Recently ordered a hood for my Mamiya 6 75mm lens, used from KEH ($31). The
hood came, but didn't fit the lens smoothly. So I looked inside and there
were three spots of glue at each of the entrances to the bayonet mount. I
cleaned them out with lots of goo gone and toothpicks, and now the lens
fits, but loosely. So I wrote KEH and told them I'd like to swap it for
another or simply return it. They said, sorry for the problem, we don't
have another, we'll refund your money and you can keep the hood.
For the cost of shipping and handling, the hood fits well enough! :-)

Funny, I have a parallel event, but less fortunate.

Recently I ordered a used Contax 645 80mm lens hood from Team-Foto (€39)
through ebay. They claim on the ebay page, that the used equipment they
sell is professionaly inspected. The hood came, but when I put it on the
lens (without excessive force) an internal plastic ring broke off and
the metal of the hood scratched the lens barrel leaving clearly visible
scratch marks. So I looked inside and there was one of the three screw
heads broken away and lot of superglue used to hold the plastic ring in
place, but on the unprepared surfaces the glue did not hold.
In further discussions the stated that
- they do not thorougly inspect cheap equipment
- they would pay for the replacement part for the broken ring from
Contax
- they would not pay for the damage to the lens (condition went from A
to B+)

Stefan
Old February 13th 05, 07:52 PM
JR

I had a similar KEH experience. I bought a Mamiya RZ67 II system. The
body was a like new body with a wrinkle in the bellows which was at a
significant discount. The body had a fault that allowed it to shoot
with the darkslide in place. Otherwise it worked perfectly. I called
them, they sent me a new one that was in PERFECT condition, and told me
to keep the other one until I got the new one. I got a better condition
body, excellent service and great prices. KEH is first rate.

JR

Old March 11th 05, 08:54 PM
Gasman

I just got some RZ Pro11 Items from them. ie. prism finder, lens, etc. They
rated the items as excellent. I was expecting maybe some small scratches,
cleaning marks, maybe some brassing. I've bought some items on E-Bay where
the seller rated them as "Excellent" and have been very dissapointed at
times. These items from KEH are much better than "Excellent". I would say
closer to "Like New". Their rating system is very conservative. A nice
surprise. I will be doing much more business with them. Excellent company to
deal with.

Old March 11th 05, 11:36 PM
Dr. Georg N.Nyman

You are absolutely right - they are more expensive (often) then what you
pay on Ebay but you get really good quality items and if they sell
"junk" they call it correctly. I like doing business with them -
rgds George Nyman

Old March 15th 05, 06:36 PM
NikonNurse

I've bought stuff listed as bargain "scratches etc" but I can't find em, or
they are in an area that doesn't affect pic quality.

Courtney

Old March 15th 05, 09:24 PM
laura halliday

Courtney wrote:

I've bought stuff listed as bargain "scratches etc"
but I can't find em, or they are in an area that
doesn't affect pic quality.

This is, in fact, KEH's definition of "bargain":
possibly worn, scratches, etc., but 100% optically
functional. If the wear/scratches/etc. affect
optical performance, it's "ugly".

Most of my OM-1 and Pentax 67 lenses are KEH bargain
grade. For older systems you rarely have a choice
in the matter...

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old April 3rd 05, 02:23 AM
jon fabian

I've been buying from and selling to KEH for well over 20 years -- from
those great *Shutterbug* ads -- and I've never even been to Atlanta! They
are the most conservative graders I have ever encountered; I've always
gotten equipment which I would've graded _much_ higher.

For new stuff I generally rely on B&H. For used stuff it's almost always
KEH. The consistent quality of their equipment makes me turn to eBay only
reluctantly if I can't find something.

Cheers,

Jon

--
take the dog out to reply by e-mail
f a b i a n "a t" p a n i x "d o t" c o m