Fuzzy view through Canon viewfinder

Old April 7th 05, 02:22 AM
ecm

I agree - HP makes great viewfinders - I used an old 315xi for 4 years
without ever turning on the LCD - it seriously chewed batteries,
anyways. OTOH, my Oly C-5060 can't really be used WITHOUT the LCD - the
optical viewfinder only covers about 70-80% of the scene, so I never
get my shot framing right. I use the optical viewfinder when I'm taking
"vacation snaps" and the framing really doesn't matter, and with 5
Mpixels I can crop to 1/2 size and still print great 8X10's; otherwise
for "hobby pictures" I use the LCD and either a monopod or a tripod.

ECM

Old April 8th 05, 11:22 PM
Renee

"Cathy" wrote in message

snip
But many makes have
quite blurred viewfinders (to me at least). Maybe its because I wear
glasses, or in my case, its probably middle age

snip
I would probably use the
viewfinder most of the time, but its nice to have the LCD too.

Sounds like you need a camera with a diopter adjustment dial.

I usually use the viewfinder because I can hold the camera steadier when I
brace my arms closer to my body. I set the diopter on my Canon when I first
got it because my eyes aren't that sharp either. I found the diopter
adjustment to be a great feature to have.

Renee

Old April 9th 05, 04:44 AM
Cathy

"Renee" wrote in message news:2vD5e.25740

"Cathy" wrote in message

snip
But many makes have
quite blurred viewfinders (to me at least). Maybe its because I wear
glasses, or in my case, its probably middle age

snip
I would probably use the
viewfinder most of the time, but its nice to have the LCD too.

Sounds like you need a camera with a diopter adjustment dial.

You are probably right, but I haven't seen many cameras that have the
diopter adjustment, and never actually looked in one with that feature.
They seem to be in more expensive cameras. I am looking for a camera
around $299.00 Can.$ so around $250.00 US. We get most of the models
here that you do in the US, but not all,and depending on the camera
make, some cameras here cost quite a lot more than in the US. I could
pay a little more if I really liked a camera, but not a lot more, as I
would not be using it frequently - mainly want one for family 4X6 stills
and scenery.
I'd like to get one with 2" LCD if possible, but for me the viewfinder
has to be pretty clear.

I usually use the viewfinder because I can hold the camera steadier

when I
brace my arms closer to my body. I set the diopter on my Canon when I

first
got it because my eyes aren't that sharp either. I found the diopter
adjustment to be a great feature to have.

Yes, you are right, holding the camera in the way you describe sounds
like a good idea.
Is a diopter for using with no glasses, kind of like using binoculars? I
don't need glasses when looking through my binoculars and always think
this would be great if my vision was like this all the time and I
wouldn't need glasses
What model Canon do you have? I am looking for point and shoot and have
looked at many reviews, and many cameras in the stores.I didn't look for
a while, but starting to look again.
Thanks Renee.

Cathy

Old April 9th 05, 06:16 AM
ASAAR

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 23:44:34 -0400, Cathy wrote:

They seem to be in more expensive cameras. I am looking for a camera
around $299.00 Can.$ so around $250.00 US. We get most of the models
here that you do in the US, but not all,and depending on the camera
make, some cameras here cost quite a lot more than in the US. I could
pay a little more if I really liked a camera, but not a lot more, as I
would not be using it frequently - mainly want one for family 4X6 stills
and scenery.
I'd like to get one with 2" LCD if possible, but for me the viewfinder
has to be pretty clear.

You might want to consider some of Panasonic's Lumix cameras, even
though some of them might be slightly above your price limit. I
don't recall all of the spec's so you'd have to look them up, but
the ones I'm thinking of have what many here might consider a
drawback - no viewfinder. But they're small, have large displays
(up to 2.5 inches) and 3x or 6x optical zoom, depending on model.
What most people here don't like about using the display to take the
picture is that it's supposedly not as stable as if a viewfinder is
used. But these Panasonics all have image stabilization built into
the cameras, which should more than compensate. Here's some of the
(incomplete) data I had saved:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS1 : Image Stabilization, AA batteries, (3.7
x 2.5 x 1.2 in)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ1 / DMC-LZ2 : AA batteries, I.S., 6x optical:
LZ2==5mp, (4.0 x 2.5 x 1.3 in); large but LoRes LCD

Panasonix Lumix DMC-FX7 : (3.7 x 2.0 x 1.0 in), Stabilization; USB
Full Speed; 2.5" display; AF illuminator

Old April 9th 05, 10:17 AM
Stephen Poley

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 23:44:34 -0400, "Cathy" wrote:

"Renee" wrote in message news:2vD5e.25740

Sounds like you need a camera with a diopter adjustment dial.

You are probably right, but I haven't seen many cameras that have the
diopter adjustment, and never actually looked in one with that feature.
They seem to be in more expensive cameras. I am looking for a camera
around $299.00 Can.$ so around $250.00 US.

I didn't see the start of this thread, but the Minolta Z series has
diopter adjustment, and the lower models in the range might be an
acceptable price for you.

--
Stephen Poley

Old April 10th 05, 02:26 AM
Renee

"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

Cathy, I'm blind without contacts or glasses. Since I'm usually wearing
glasses, taking them off every time I shoot would be bothersome. So I always
shoot all my photos with them on. But I can also see through the viewfinder
without glasses or contacts by adjusting the diopter. Not sure if it'll work
that way for everyone.

I have an S1 IS. ($299.95 at NewEgg, $309.95 at B&H -- two vendors I hear
people trust doing business with). But it doesn't sound like the S1 is one
you'd want to look at. It only has a 1.5" LCD and has an 10x ultra-zoom, a
feature you didn't say you'd have use for. Sounds like you'd be better off
with a wider-angle camera for those landscape photos than a tele-photo one.
(Though the S1 does take interchangeable lenses like wide-angles. But
point-and-shoot photographers probably don't care to lug around extra camera
gear and weight.)

All the cameras you look at *should* have a feature that lets you zoom in on
the image while you're reviewing it on the LCD -- you can tell if the photo
you just took is out of focus. So if you're mainly going to use the
viewfinder, don't let a smaller LCD sway your decision.

Whatever models you decide to check out, try to look at some photos taken by
owners who are casual shooters or amateur photographers. They're the ones
who are usually taking the shaky shots, and under less than ideal
circumstances. See how good their shots are coming out.

Renee

http://photofan.multiply.com/photos