BUGGED OUT BY THE 20D !!!

Old April 16th 05, 02:17 AM
Annika1980

Default BUGGED OUT BY THE 20D !!!

Took these today with the Magical MP-E Macro:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110180
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110181

Old April 16th 05, 02:55 AM
paul

Annika1980 wrote:

Took these today with the Magical MP-E Macro:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110180
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110181

Jesus.

That's with mirror lockup on a tripod I assume. Did you have to freeze
the poor thing? You must have been half an inch away for 65mm??? How'd
you get it to land in front of the tripod? Does the f/stop go above 11
and is it worth using?

grrrrr

Old April 16th 05, 05:49 AM
Annika1980

http://www.pbase.com/bret/imag=ADe/42110182/original
http://www.pbase.com/bret/imag=ADe/42110180
http://www.pbase.com/bret/imag=ADe/42110181

Jesus.

That's with mirror lockup on a tripod I assume. Did you have to freeze
the poor thing? You must have been half an inch away for 65mm??? How'd
you get it to land in front of the tripod? Does the f/stop go above 11
and is it worth using?
-----------------------------------

No, those were taken handheld without mirror lockup.
The MP-E lens doesn't focus the way most lenses do.
You rack it out to increase the magnification from 1x up to 5x.
Focus is achieved by moving the lens closer or farther away from the
subject, which has proven quite challenging so far with bugs that
usually fly away when you put a lens 1" from them.
And since I have to move the camera, using a tripod is kinda tough
without a special mount.

Old April 16th 05, 06:01 AM
GTO

You may want to try a positioning plate or focusing rack, such as the
Manfrotto 3419, see

http://www.adorama.com/BG3419.html?s... te&item_no=7

For this image, you definitely appreciate a decent focusing mechanism:

http://www.pbase.com/overney/image/37061969

Gregor

Old April 16th 05, 06:24 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Annika1980" wrote:
Took these today with the Magical MP-E Macro:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110180

Holy cow! Flipping amazing! Great work!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110181

Presumably this is a crop from the second one? You really need a scanning
electron microscope for this sort of magnification.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old April 16th 05, 06:29 AM
eric phillips

On 15 Apr 2005 18:17:03 -0700, "Annika1980"
wrote:

Took these today with the Magical MP-E Macro:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110180
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/42110181

Bloody good effort seeing that you hav'nt had the lens five minutes.
Keep on posting Brett.
eric phillips
Old April 16th 05, 01:42 PM

In message ,
"GTO" wrote:

At 1/250 you shouldn't need MLU. Just a good tripod and enough light!

The 1/focal_length rule is for infinity focus. You could need as much
as 0.1/focal_length for macro.

The shutter speed needed to avoid shaking-blur is not really related to
focal length; it is related to magnification, and it is just a
coincidence that that most subjects are usually far enough away from the
camera that magnification is proportional to focal length.
--

John P Sheehy