GPS

Old September 8th 04, 12:00 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
Prometheus wrote:

Incidentally Dell have rather more than eight models; that makes you
wrong twice in one sentence, where did you look?

At their consumer line. You know, the ones normal people buy?

Now I see where you are going wrong, I looked for a laptop that would do
the job whilst you looked for laptops that can not. I note that in their
example list of uses for the serial port in the 'toy' range they do not
mention GPS, perhaps they have never heard of GPS, or maybe they expect
GPS users to want professional and not domestic machines.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old September 8th 04, 01:28 AM
Mxsmanic

Ron Hunter writes:

I got tired of that about 25 years ago, along with
soldering my own connectors, and building my own equipment.

You were singularly prescient if you were writing Windows drivers 25
years ago.

Old September 8th 04, 01:29 AM
Mxsmanic

Ron Hunter writes:

Precisely my point. If you want good driver support, you go with the
most used OS/hardware combination.

Perhaps, but XP was far from the most-used OS when I was forced to buy
it. NT was far more prevalent (it is still in widespread use).

If you want CURRENT driver support, you have to keep up
with the newest hardware and interfaces.

I want something that works, and something that doesn't have to be
replaced every six months.

Old September 8th 04, 03:00 AM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:
Ron Hunter writes:

I got tired of that about 25 years ago, along with
soldering my own connectors, and building my own equipment.

You were singularly prescient if you were writing Windows drivers 25
years ago.

Sometimes I think you just like to be obtuse. Last time I worked on a
driver, it was for a System 3 tape system. Before that, for Atari disk
controller. Learned it wasn't something I enjoyed, and never made any
money at it.

Old September 8th 04, 03:01 AM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

Precisely my point. If you want good driver support, you go with the
most used OS/hardware combination.

Perhaps, but XP was far from the most-used OS when I was forced to buy
it. NT was far more prevalent (it is still in widespread use).

If you want CURRENT driver support, you have to keep up
with the newest hardware and interfaces.

I want something that works, and something that doesn't have to be
replaced every six months.

You could use an abacus. I believe they haven't changed in about 3000
years...

Old September 8th 04, 06:15 AM

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:01:00 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

Precisely my point. If you want good driver support, you go with the
most used OS/hardware combination.

Perhaps, but XP was far from the most-used OS when I was forced to buy
it. NT was far more prevalent (it is still in widespread use).

If you want CURRENT driver support, you have to keep up
with the newest hardware and interfaces.

I want something that works, and something that doesn't have to be
replaced every six months.

You could use an abacus. I believe they haven't changed in about 3000
years...

Way to go -- now he'll go on about whether the Chinese or
Japanese abacus is better. Personally I'll go with the Chinese one --
you can work in hexadecimal on it.