GPS

Old September 7th 04, 07:23 PM
Prometheus

In article , Ron Hunter
writes
Mxsmanic wrote:
Ron Hunter writes:

Or, you could just write your own driver for Unix. Isn't that
supposed to be one of the great strengths of the OS?

That may be practical for people with unlimited time on their
hands,
that might be an option, but not for most people. FWIW, you can write
drivers for Windows, too, if you have the time and inclination.

Which is one very good reason why most of us still use Windows.

You write your own drivers then?
--
Ian G8ILZ
Old September 7th 04, 07:29 PM
Mxsmanic

Ron Hunter writes:

Which is one very good reason why most of us still use Windows.

I doubt that more than one in a hundred thousand users of Windows cares
about writing drivers for the OS.

Old September 7th 04, 07:29 PM
Mxsmanic

Old September 7th 04, 09:59 PM
Ron Hunter

Prometheus wrote:
In article , Ron Hunter
writes

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

Or, you could just write your own driver for Unix. Isn't that
supposed to be one of the great strengths of the OS?

That may be practical for people with unlimited time on their hands,
that might be an option, but not for most people. FWIW, you can write
drivers for Windows, too, if you have the time and inclination.

Which is one very good reason why most of us still use Windows.

You write your own drivers then?

No. NOt any more. I got tired of that about 25 years ago, along with
soldering my own connectors, and building my own equipment.
Old September 7th 04, 09:59 PM
Ron Hunter

Prometheus wrote:
In article , Ron Hunter
writes

Old September 7th 04, 10:00 PM
Ron Hunter

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

Which is one very good reason why most of us still use Windows.

I doubt that more than one in a hundred thousand users of Windows cares
about writing drivers for the OS.

Precisely my point. If you want good driver support, you go with the
most used OS/hardware combination. If you want CURRENT driver support,
you have to keep up with the newest hardware and interfaces.

Old September 7th 04, 11:25 PM
Prometheus

In article , Ron Hunter
writes
If you want CURRENT driver support, you have to keep up with the newest
hardware and interfaces.

You do not have to have "current driver support" therefore "newest" is
irrelevant, if it worked five years ago it still works. If you change to
the latest for the sake of fashion not only are you wasting money but
you are likely to encounter problems due to the system not having been
subject to the extensive field testing that long established systems
have survived. Incidentally we were supplying RS-422 today, something
else that USB in no good at!
--
Ian G8ILZ

Old September 8th 04, 12:00 AM
Prometheus

In article , Jeremy Nixon
writes
Prometheus wrote:

Incidentally Dell have rather more than eight models; that makes you
wrong twice in one sentence, where did you look?

At their consumer line. You know, the ones normal people buy?

Now I see where you are going wrong, I looked for a laptop that would do
the job whilst you looked for laptops that can not. I note that in their
example list of uses for the serial port in the 'toy' range they do not
mention GPS, perhaps they have never heard of GPS, or maybe they expect
GPS users to want professional and not domestic machines.

--
Ian G8ILZ