[SI] At the Museum is posted, waiting for visitors

Old May 10th 11, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

Default [SI] At the Museum is posted, waiting for visitors

Here you go, let the comments fly!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/at_the_museum

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the Rulz page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Next up is Weapons, due June 12th. Your interpretation of what
constitutes a weapon is all that counts, so have at it and fire away.
Some of you might consider that 800mm 5.6 tele a weapon. Others may
consider that the pen, being mightier than the sword is the perfect
weapon while others, black belt in hand, might want to crush me like a
grape. What is your weapon of choice?
Old May 10th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] At the Museum is posted, Some comments

On 2011-05-09 16:27:12 -0700, Bowser said:

Here you go, let the comments fly!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/at_the_museum

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the Rulz page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Next up is Weapons, due June 12th. Your interpretation of what
constitutes a weapon is all that counts, so have at it and fire away.
Some of you might consider that 800mm 5.6 tele a weapon. Others may
consider that the pen, being mightier than the sword is the perfect
weapon while others, black belt in hand, might want to crush me like a
grape. What is your weapon of choice?

I think we managed to get some interesting content out of this mandate,
including interpretations of what constitutes a museum. All in all a
good collection, thanks for playing folks.
Now for a few comments which you can take with the proverbial pinch of salt:

Paul Furman:
1267:
I like the use of a working studio, and certainly almost anything at
Hunter's Point could be considered a museum. I like the work on the big
canvas reflecting the real activity on the table.

Eric S (I assume Eric Stevens):
The Gangs All He
Nice. Without doubt a museum, these are a great set of carvings, almost
a hybrid vertical/horizontal totem. You managed to cope with the
interior lighting quite well. Which culture produced this work?

Tilling Stevens:
Great ladder truck, again, you managed the lighting issues well.
You wouldn't be related to the "Stevens" by any chance?

War Canoe:
Another great subject. This is an amazing piece of cultural history,
and you captured it even with the lighting handicap. I wonder how this
would have worked as an HDR exercise.

Bob Flint:
So are these part of a personal collection, or housed in a photography museum?
Having asked that, all three, while interesting, and technically good
shots, seem very documentary, telling us very little with regard to
location.

Tony Cooper:
Mennelo Porch 1 & 2:
I like the idea of the strong color fields, and the porch setting,
however with #2 I find the PS filter pushes the surreal a bit much for
me. I think this is a case where cleaner works better. It would have
been nice to see more of the contents of the museum.

Seminole County Museum:
Nice "Old Folks Home" I think this is a case where the interior might
have been more interesting, rather than the building.

Graham:
Here I am not sure if you are Graham Fountain, or "Fountain" has
something to do with your shots.

#1, #2, & #3:
These are all pleasing enough to the eye, the rainbow capture in #3 is
nice. I like the abstract quality of #2, and #1 as a B&W evokes the
dustbowl. However I am at a loss as to any reference to a museum. Were
these shot at a windmill museum? A farm equipment museum? What is the
story?

Tim Conway:
Brookgreen Gardens #1:
Nice garden sculpture with the cats framed by the foliage.

Hanover Junction:
Interesting factoid regarding Lincoln. There is just something
troubling me about the perspective of the shot. I think I might have
positioned myself further to the right, and waited for the cyclists to
move out of frame, they don't add to the image.

Brookgreen Gardens #2:
Nice. A capture of one of the garden sculptures captured in print.
Great concept.

Savageduck (Yours truly):
#1:
A flying part of the Estrella Warbird Museum, Paso Robles.
#2:
A. J. Foyt's, 1961, Offenhauser powered, Indy racer. One of the last
front engined Indy winners.
#3:
Pollock #2 at Munson Williams Procter Fine Arts Institute (or the
Munstertute) Utica NY.

Bowser:
#1:
WOW! Great, interesting, and very different capture. Thanks for this one.
#2:
More absolutely fascinating imagery. Great capture!
#3:
....and once again, a very different execution of an abstract concept. Nice.

Peter Newman:
#1:
An interesting character study of a trio of critics. ;-)
#2:
Looks like an F4U Corsair to me. I would have preferred the full Navy
blue rather than stylized B&W for this one.
#3:
What can I say? Mrs Bates works so well on many levels.
All I would ask is, where is this on display, photograph or painting,
and who was the original artist?

Ron Spoto:
#1:
Nice display of RR dining car serving ware. I am glad you went to the
polarizer for this one.
Where are the trains & rolling stock?

Savageduck

Old May 10th 11, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 9 May 2011 18:07:50 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Tony Cooper:
Mennelo Porch 1 & 2:
I like the idea of the strong color fields, and the porch setting,
however with #2 I find the PS filter pushes the surreal a bit much for
me. I think this is a case where cleaner works better. It would have
been nice to see more of the contents of the museum.

Photography is not allowed in the museum. The building itself has no
photographic merit. I chose the furniture grouping because 1) I liked
the colors, and 2) the porch was the only photographically interesting
aspect. A shot of the porch showing the full name was a problem
because of a deep overhang that created bad shadows any time of day.

The museum content is modern art, so I played around with #2 to match
the type of art inside the museum.

Seminole County Museum:
Nice "Old Folks Home" I think this is a case where the interior might
have been more interesting, rather than the building.

Trust me, it isn't. The most interesting items inside are old
photographs of the area. It doesn't seem right to photograph
photographs.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 10th 11, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Allen[_3_]

On 5/9/2011 6:27 PM, Bowser wrote:
Here you go, let the comments fly!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/at_the_museum

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the Rulz page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Next up is Weapons, due June 12th. Your interpretation of what
constitutes a weapon is all that counts, so have at it and fire away.
Some of you might consider that 800mm 5.6 tele a weapon. Others may
consider that the pen, being mightier than the sword is the perfect
weapon while others, black belt in hand, might want to crush me like a
grape. What is your weapon of choice?

A Univex Mercury! Now that's something that's definitely of museum age.
Allen
Old May 10th 11, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Cooper

#3:
What can I say? Mrs Bates works so well on many levels.
All I would ask is, where is this on display, photograph or painting,
and who was the original artist?

I wonder if that's the Bates Motel Mrs Bates when she was younger.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old May 10th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On 2011-05-09 16:27:12 -0700, Bowser said:

[...]

I took this photograph some years ago with a Sony F707 but I included
it as the subject was made for this SI. I can't remember the details
but I think it came from somewhere about the New Hebrides/Vanuatu. Its
not a totem in the usual sense but represents a gang of gods/chiefs
arriving in a snake which had turned into a canoe. Lighting was not
too bad but I still had to use the built-in flash. The lighting levels
of the more distant parts needed help from Photopaint.

Tilling Stevens:
Great ladder truck, again, you managed the lighting issues well.
You wouldn't be related to the "Stevens" by any chance?

Everything on the truck is electric, including the drive for the
ladder mechanism. Here is some more info about it
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/tilling-stevens.htm

The lighting was worse than dim and I was forced to use my SB 600
flash unit. The back end was still lost in the dark but I managed to
rescue it with a few clicks of NX2.

As for being related - anything is possible but I don't know of any
connection.

War Canoe:
Another great subject. This is an amazing piece of cultural history,
and you captured it even with the lighting handicap. I wonder how this
would have worked as an HDR exercise.

Impossible as HDR I suspect. I wasn't allowed to use a tripod and even
had difficulty getting permission to use a monopod at its shortest
(about 30"). The length of the subject meant that on-camera flash was
out and a battery of flashes was beyond consideration. Part of the
problem was that it was a school holiday and the museum was full of
knee-high kids. Any sort of external gear would have been a hazard.

I started off by setting the shutter timer to 10 seconds and then
hoisting the camera and monopod over my head after I pushed the
release. This technique produced a fine collection of blurred images.
In the end, I used my left hand to hold the foot of the monopod into
the top of my stomach (well provided for) with the camera overhead
with my right arm at full stretch on the release button. I had no real
idea of where I was aiming or what the camera was seeing. The camera
was in Aperture priority mode and ISO was 1250. Exposures were
typically 1/5-1/6 of a second. To my surprise camera shake was not too
much of a problem but I doubt if I could take a series of closely
matching shots for HDR.

With the original lighting, the canoe was lost in the murk. I used NX2
to make the canoe stand out more and then I used it to suppress the
surrounding detail.

#1:
WOW! Great, interesting, and very different capture. Thanks for this one.
#2:
More absolutely fascinating imagery. Great capture!
#3:

#1:
An interesting character study of a trio of critics. ;-)
#2:
#3:

#1:
Nice display of RR dining car serving ware. I am glad you went to the
polarizer for this one.
Where are the trains & rolling stock?

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 10th 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

#3:
What can I say? Mrs Bates works so well on many levels.
All I would ask is, where is this on display, photograph or painting,
and who was the original artist?

I wonder if that's the Bates Motel Mrs Bates when she was younger.

Well the chair is right, but the room is too well lit, and I don't
think Tony Perkins wore his hair like that.
....and not a knife in sight.

Savageduck

Old May 10th 11, 01:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bowser

On 5/9/2011 10:58 PM, Allen wrote:
On 5/9/2011 6:27 PM, Bowser wrote:
Here you go, let the comments fly!

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/at_the_museum

For more info about the Shoot-In, please visit the Rulz page he

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/rulzpage

Next up is Weapons, due June 12th. Your interpretation of what
constitutes a weapon is all that counts, so have at it and fire away.
Some of you might consider that 800mm 5.6 tele a weapon. Others may
consider that the pen, being mightier than the sword is the perfect
weapon while others, black belt in hand, might want to crush me like a
grape. What is your weapon of choice?

A Univex Mercury! Now that's something that's definitely of museum age.
Allen

No kidding. Half frame, with a wonderful depth of field scale "built in."
Old May 11th 11, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

#1:
An interesting character study of a trio of critics. ;-)

To me the interest is the contrast between the painting and:
Frumpy, Dumpty and Grumpty. The title came from a remark that one of
them made that no woman could ever look like that.

#2:
Looks like an F4U Corsair to me. I would have preferred the full Navy
blue rather than stylized B&W for this one.

That's where tastes differ. I mentally transported to when the plane was
cutting edge and imagined what it would be like. Hence the title.

#3:
What can I say? Mrs Bates works so well on many levels.
All I would ask is, where is this on display, photograph or painting,
and who was the original artist?

I shot the image at a museum in in Maine: Definitely not a picture of a
picture, or a picture of a sculpture. It is also my first HDR.

http://www.katyelliott.com/blog/2009/08/andrew-wyeth-olsen-house-in-cushing-maine.html

It is one of the few places where they don't mind if you move some
furniture around. I was in the room and a girl with a bun walked in.
Bingo. She was happy to serve as a model for about two minutes. I tried
to convince her to try another room, which would have made a fine
Whistler's Mother shot.

--
Peter
Old May 11th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

#3:
What can I say? Mrs Bates works so well on many levels.
All I would ask is, where is this on display, photograph or painting,
and who was the original artist?

I wonder if that's the Bates Motel Mrs Bates when she was younger.

I submitted the image at my camera club competition. The judge's
comment: "That looks like a scene in a horror movie."

Although it did not score well, I certainly communicated the meaning.

--
Peter