New Panasonic Lumix ZS-Series TV Commercial

Old March 20th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bowser

Default Re Troll was:: New Panasonic.....

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:31:37 -0400, Dave Cohen
wrote:

On 3/19/2010 11:07 AM, John McWilliams wrote:
SMS wrote:

Looks like our favorite troll created another situation that doesn't
exist, with a solution that is sub-standard.

The more we reply to him, the more we talk of him, the longer he'll
stick around here. Such reasoning is completely lost on the Rays of this
group, but I know some of you are able to restrain those itchy fingers.

This man is extremely unhappy to the extent that his anger and
powerlessness drive him to a high level of pestilence in this group.
He's not even able to express why he's so ****ed off, probably due to
denial. Whatever.

May we have some compassion for the rest of the group by not replying,
and some compassion for him that his anger be quelled.

I haven't seen the commercial in question. From what has been posted the
implication is that 'in general', a wide zoom range P&S might be more
convenient for unplanned shots. Nobody is making claims for the quality
of the final outcome and I would think in general the claim is valid.
That people treat equipment choice with the same zeal as their religion
is a separate issue.

I've seen it, and it's pretty funny, actually. And while I like the
Panny "TZ" series cameras, the newer models, thanks to pixel stuffing,
have once again lowered image quality. Read a sad conclusion he

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...review/compare

Be sure to read the paragraph that starts "Thatbrings us to image
quality..."

Or the lack of it.
Old March 20th 10, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
SMS

On 19/03/10 6:19 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Be sure to read the paragraph that starts "Thatbrings us to image
quality..."

If people bought cameras based on features then Panasonic would be one
of the top selling brands rather than a niche brand.

Unfortunately for Panasonic, they've never figured out the image-quality
part of equation.
Old March 20th 10, 07:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Bob Williams

SMS wrote:
On 19/03/10 6:19 PM, Bowser wrote:

snip

Be sure to read the paragraph that starts "Thatbrings us to image
quality..."

If people bought cameras based on features then Panasonic would be one
of the top selling brands rather than a niche brand.

Unfortunately for Panasonic, they've never figured out the image-quality
part of equation.

Maybe they have!
I suspect that the great unwashed masses of digital camera users, (which
is the largest segment of the market)are quite happy with "Good Enough"
image quality. They are nowhere near as picky about image quality as the
"serious" photographers in this NG. Consequently, DSLRs are way overkill
as far as they are concerned.
For them, convenience and price trump incremental improvement in image
quality (cost/benefit ratio) every time.
If we are totally honest with ourselves, almost all of us actually
settle for "Good Enough" image quality too. Otherwise we would all own
Nikon D3 or Canon 5D Mk2 cameras.
At some point we all must say, "The image quality from my camera is Good
Enough for my purposes".
There are lots and lots of parameters to consider in choosing a digital
camera (or anything else for that matter). How heavily we weigh image
quality vs the other parameters in making our choice, is very personal.
I feel confident that Panny and all the other manufacturers have their
own marketing algorithms to try to maximize their sales, profits,
reputation, etc.
Bob Williams
Old March 21st 10, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_4_]

Default New Panasonic Lumix ZS-Series TV Commercial

"LOL!" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:29:22 -0400, "Bowser" wrote:

"LOL!" wrote in message
. ..

Saw a commercial on TV last night that floored me.

A guy sitting on the ground up on a mountain pass is fumbling with his
huge
backpack of camera gear, his DSLR, tripod, and lenses trying to get it
all
ready in time to capture the image of a large bird of prey. (Which looks
like the light phase of a Red-Tailed Hawk but it's not, probably an
Asian
or European species.) A couple of hikers walk by the "pro" photographer
sitting on the ground fumbling with his heavy and cumbersome crap. While
walking along the female hiker points out the bird to her hiking partner
and he uses his P&S camera to quickly capture a close-up shot of the
bird
and then HD-video of it as it flies off, while they continue walking
along
without missing a beat. The poor DSLR fool was still sitting on the
ground
fumbling with trying to change his lenses and missed getting any shots
at
all. The chance to get even one photo now long gone.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to find a link to that somewhere on the net. A day or two and
it'll probably be on youtube somewhere. It perfectly sums up just some
of
the things that I've been telling you idiot DSLR-Trolls all winter.
DSLRs
are NOT the right choice for wildlife photographers. I found that out
when
I ditched trying to use DSLRs and instead perfected the skills needed to
use super-zoom P&S cameras. That single-lens design now affording far
greater opportunities of capturing wildlife shots under all the same
conditions, with image qualities just as good if not often better than
DSLRs. I used SLRs all my life and then tried DSLRs for wildlife
photography during my move to digital cameras. I ditched them all when I
found much more capable super-zoom P&S cameras for the same task and
taught
myself new methods in learning how to use them properly. I'm starting to
understand all your problems now. You can't learn how to use ANY cameras
properly, or you'd know better.

Panasonic targeted that commercial to people incapable of learning to use
DSLR, and you are the perfect victim. Anyway, please post your birding
shots
or any BIF shots you've taken with your PoS camera. I'd love to see them.

Why? So you can all again yell, "They're STOLEN!", "The EXIF info was
edited!", or "They were shot with a DSLR!" I've already posted about 8 of
them during the year and that's exactly what happened, each and every
time.

Then you should stop trying to pass someone else's DSLR shots off as your
own P&S shots.

See? Problem solved. Simple.

Old March 21st 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell[_3_]

"LOL!" wrote in message

[...]

Panasonic targeted that commercial to people incapable of learning to use a
DSLR, and you are the perfect victim. Anyway, please post your birding shots
or any BIF shots you've taken with your PoS camera. I'd love to see them.

I'm sure you would.
http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/bcn...errit_2123.JPG
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
Old March 21st 10, 05:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Spanjaard

"LOL!" wrote in message

[...]

use a DSLR, and you are the perfect victim. Anyway, please post your
birding shots or any BIF shots you've taken with your PoS camera. I'd
love to see them.

I'm sure you would.
http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/bcn...errit_2123.JPG

This is what I got while fumnbling with my heavy and cumbersome crap. ;-)

http://www.arumes.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=71

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com
Old March 21st 10, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

"LOL!" wrote in message
-

Panasonic targeted that commercial to people incapable of learning to
use a DSLR, and you are the perfect victim. Anyway, please post your
birding shots or any BIF shots you've taken with your PoS camera. I'd
love to see them.

I'm sure you would.
http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/bcn...errit_2123.JPG

This is what I got while fumnbling with my heavy and cumbersome crap. ;-)

http://www.arumes.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=71

Aah! What the hell!
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_3490w.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_3491w2.jpg

Savageduck

Old March 21st 10, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
LOL!

"LOL!" wrote in message

[...]

Wow. look how fast it's moving! Even worse, it's BLURRY!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Old March 21st 10, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
LOL!

"LOL!" wrote in message
-

Panasonic targeted that commercial to people incapable of learning to
use a DSLR, and you are the perfect victim. Anyway, please post your
birding shots or any BIF shots you've taken with your PoS camera. I'd
love to see them.

I'm sure you would.
http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/bcn...errit_2123.JPG

This is what I got while fumnbling with my heavy and cumbersome crap. ;-)

http://www.arumes.com/photo/main.php?g2_itemId=71

Aah! What the hell!
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_3490w.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DSC_3491w2.jpg

Wow! Look how fast they're moving! How'd you ever get your crap gear set up
in time so fast?! LOL!

Your birds are blurred too from that much sought-after shallow DOF that you
all go on and on about. LOL!!!!!

Sheesh, the dynamic range on that sensor royally sucks, don't it. Never
seen anything that bad from any DSLR before. Good examples to show others,
of what NOT to buy.

LOL!!!!!

Old March 21st 10, 09:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Mike Russell[_3_]

"LOL!" wrote in message

[...]

Yours is an excellent photograph that speaks for itself.
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com